The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-22-2015, 01:26 AM

Quote:
To be fair to Sherwin -Williams, the problems I refer to happened years ago(20 to 25 yrs IIRC) but was major for certain folks. I have not used it since. I know nothing of their product now and it sounds like they are back on track.
Most notably, Gallagher had problems with severe crazing on a significant number of guitars in the late-1970's or early-1980's. This was not normal lacquer crazing. The cracks were very pronounced, and were wide enough to catch a fingernail. The crazing only showed up after several months. Gallagher ended up refinishing so many guitars that it stopped his production for nearly a year. Needless to say, this was a major hardship for such a small company.
When he consulted with Martin, they told him that they had similar problems with S-W, but it was caught much earlier.

Ted Davis used S-W Moisture Resistant Lacquer for many years with great success. It was very hard, polished to a high gloss, and appeared to be very resistant to checking. I considered using it at one time, but I was happy with the automotive acrylic lacquer I had been using since the late-1970's. That lasted until lacquer was phased out for automotive refinishing. I struggled for a while....once my gallon can of Constantine's nitrocellulose lacquer (which I had been using for repair of vintage instruments) was used up. I tried both McFadden's and Mohawk Classic Instrument Lacquer, but I found both of them to be too soft for my use. Then I discovered Mohawk Piano Lacquer, and I have been well pleased. It hardens quicker than anything I have tried....except maybe for the automotive lacquer. Piano lacquer will cold check if it is too thick, and if exposed to extreme cold. But so far, I have not had any problems. After polishing, the lacquer on my guitars is about 2 1/2 mils on the top and 3 1/2 to 4 mils on the back, sides, and neck.

The appearance of so-called 'instrument lacquer' is a recent development. Historically, the factories have used lacquers that were marketed for furniture.
Old 08-22-2015, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
A formulation of resins, plasticizers, etc. that enable it to be built up thick enough to be polished to a level gloss surface, but without being so soft as to take on impressions and not buff well, and at the same time not to check easily when exposed to the varying conditions that may affect something often taken outside and to different locations.
You just described every wood finish made........

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair