The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-16-2015, 06:58 PM

Default Eastman AC120CE I can't give it away. What should I do with it?

Recently I added a 1960's Matsumoku Bruno Conqueror to my collection. That puts me up to 7 guitars. That's more than I will ever use. So I decided to sell this one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/161751468281...84.m1562.l2649

As you can see the finish is shot to #$% on it. I've never had a guitar finish fail on me so badly. I understand that Eastman has a reputation for that. The marks on the bottom are just from sitting in a guitar stand for several months. And the finish on the back is ruined just from holding it. Its not like it was banged around. Just normal use.

I've dropped the price as low as I intend to go. Any lower and I might as well keep it around for camping trips. But I really don't have room for it. And its not likely to see much use. I'm considering trying to refinish it and maybe put a pick guard on it to hide those scratches. Other than the finish its a really nice guitar. It sounds as good as when I got it. And there's really nothing wrong with it other than the cosmetics.

I should mention that I don't have a case for it. Would that really matter much to a buyer? Should I buy a cheap case for it and try again to sell it? Or refinish it and try to sell it? Or what?
Old 08-17-2015, 09:07 PM

81 views and nobody on this board can tell me if this thing is worth refinishing? Is it because I'm a new member?
Old 08-18-2015, 02:59 AM

In the 'more chances to get what you want' section of your advert all the other Eastmans are way more expensive than yours. You have to decide whether the cost of having it refinished will be worth it in terms of what you might sell it for. Would it be possible to buy a second hand case to put with it? I'm not a fan of gig bags as they offer little protection from knocks and bumps. If you really have to get rid, how do you feel about donating it to a charity shop?
Old 08-18-2015, 06:44 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

The shipping costs knocked me out of the selling sub 1k guitars as a side biz. I used to flip 20 or so a year when I could get a guitar across the country for under $40.00.
I don't know what the orig. finish is, if its Poly or Nitro it can be done if you want the experience or you are trying to fill a 30+ hour, many evening, void in your life. If you do strip it you cannot miss the corners, meaning fabricating sanding tools. You have to seal the wood so it doesn't blotch.... Its a lot of tedious work!
On the slim, slim chance it is varnish you can refinish it with some sanding and a few fresh coats.
If you don't want it taking up space try your local Craigslist. That will eliminate the shipping and need to buy a hard case (without a hard case your ebay/ship to customer base narrows greatly) Push the fact it is $100's off new because its broken in. But, keep in mind most Chinese guitars that are very clean have a pretty steep devaluation when sold as used.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:52 AM

Maybe donate it? At least you could get a tax deduction.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:18 AM

Thank you for your replies gentlemen. I considered donating it to a school or something. And I'd probably do that if I needed a tax write off. Sad to say offsetting an overabundance of income is not a problem I currently have to contend with.

I wondered if people might be nervous about buying a guitar through the mail without a case. Maybe if I offered to insure the shipping for the actual value which is considerably higher than my offering price. Maybe they'd buy hoping the shipping company would drop it and step on it, lol.

My wife suggested craigslist. Maybe that's the way to go.

Last edited by MuddyWolfJohnso; 08-18-2015 at 07:25 AM.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:20 AM

Items that look like they have been poorly cared for often have undisclosed issues. eBay is often used used to unload items that a local buyer would reject upon inspection.

Showing the action height, posting a youtube video of how it sounds, tons and tons of close up pictures, etc, would go a long way towards easing buyer's concerns about buying something sight unseen. Do the electronics work? We are still talking $279 investment for this item, and while less than the going rate for this model, is not "giving it away" by any means.

However, as an eBay buyer, snarkiness like this would cause me to just scroll on by to the next listing:

Quote:
Q: does she come with a case?
A: Lol, if she did she'd be looking better and cost a lot more.
Rework your presentation and try again, and it just might sell. Consider REVERB.COM and Craigslist as well.
2004 First Act Retro Pink 5 string

Last edited by FluffyDog6; 08-18-2015 at 08:41 AM.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:49 PM

Quote:
However, as an eBay buyer, snarkiness like this would cause me to just scroll on by to the next listing...
Quote:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=snarky
snarky - A witty mannerism, personality, or behavior that is a combination of sarcasm and cynicism. Usually accepted as a complimentary term. Snark is sometimes mistaken for a snotty or arrogant attitude.

Her snarky remarks had half the room on the floor laughing and the other half ready to walk out.
I guess that depends on how you interpret it. But I like your ideas. Particularly the one about making a demonstration video. Thank you for your reply fluffy!

Last edited by MuddyWolfJohnso; 08-20-2015 at 03:57 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyWolfJohnso View Post
81 views and nobody on this board can tell me if this thing is worth refinishing? Is it because I'm a new member?
Its because no one wants to hurt your feelings.

Affordable guitars are not worth refinishing, unless you love it.

I just refinished a $200 Yamaha and it took over a thousand dollars in man hours and a few hundred in parts and finish material. Its a labor of love only.

Then we have the other side.

I love refinishing work and do it for fun, but I would not pay 200 to buy project either. Most projects are real cheap.

Reality is, it should have a home who will play the crap out of it, as is. That may take some time when 200 can buy some decent acoustics.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:19 PM

Outhouse is right. tough market. I've lost 3-4 hundred on one guitar, and that's a common story on mid range guitars, high enders it gets worse. I'd buy your guitar for a hundred bucks, its a decent guitar. I'd put like 8 hours into it and maybe get an extra few bucks, someday. Or you can do it yourself what I've done to a few oldies, turns out decent, and try to sell it. I like to mess with guitars, no profit here. I have 20+ guitars sitting around here, I call em future investments.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:18 PM

Can't give it away?

OF COURSE YOU CAN.

Give it to one of the truly worthy programs, like:

http://heroesvoices.org

Check around. For instance, my shop (Gryphon) is a dropoff for donated instruments, which we set up and repair pro bono for the Heroes Voices program.

You could continue to try to wring out the last nickel from it, or you could give it to some folks who need it. . .

Frank Ford
Old 09-29-2015, 11:16 AM

It is a nice guitar. I have one of the same model Eastman Guitars that looks almost new. I picked it up at a pawn shop about 6 months ago for about $125. I, too have too many guitars, and took the Eastman, a Potomac OM, and a Recording King "Dirty Thirties" ROH-05 to a local Pawn shop and asked a very reasonable $300 for all three. They said "No thanks" and suggested Craig's List.
I gave the RK to one of my Granddaughters and will probably donate the Potomac. Might just hold on to the Eastman HC122CE for a good sounding beater.

Martin
OM1GT
MMV
Tanglewood
TW-1000B
TW15-NS
Eastman
E10OM
Epiphone:
EF-500RCCE
AlleyKat
Les Paul Joe Bonamassa 2015
Fender/Squire
Fender 1996 MIM Nashville Tele
Fender 1996 MIM Standard Strat
Squier VM Thinline Tele

Peavey
Patriot
Old 09-30-2015, 06:24 PM

Craigslist is a way to sell a guitar fast. Lots of people looking for a decent guitar that is easy to play.

Sell the sizzle.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
eastman, refinish