The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-17-2015, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Default Widening string spacing a tinch

I have a guitar where the high e and the low E strings are about 3/32" from the edge of the fingerboard at the nut and 3/16" from the edge of the fingerboard at the 12th fret. I'd like to make them be more like 1/16" from the edge of the fingerboard at the nut and that same distance at the 12th fret. Making a new nut with different spacing seems easy, but how can I widen them out at the bridge? (without replacing the bridge).

Any ideas or expertise is appreciated.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Shallow groves on the back side of the saddle would guide the strings to a different spacing.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 08-17-2015, 12:00 PM

You could fill and redrill the bridge pin holes.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:33 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

To fill in the old nut slots I've used one of my dogs OLD cow bones. Around here you find deer antlers they work also. Sand till you get a small pile of powder, mix with superglue.
No dog? I have used Baking Powder mixed with super glue.
Stew mac sells fret slot files. You can use the one for the small e/b (double edge) to make all sized slots. Or buy 3 files at $40ish a pop.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:45 PM

A word of caution with regard to widening string spacing.

I play fingerstyle involving lots of hammer-on, pull-off and slide.

I bought a used guitar online from a seller (who, as it turns out, refuses any and all returns ). Long story short: Both edges of the fretboard have been rounded over to create a more narrow playing surface and the fret ends are rounded over in far too large an arc.

As a result, I constantly pull the high-e string off the lower edge, and frequently push the low-E up and over the top edge. I HATE IT and can't stop dreaming about feeding this guitar (and maybe that rat Ebay Seller) into a wood chipper. Widening string spacing at the nut is likely to cause this problem for you, and widening the saddle string spacing as well is almost guaranteed to cause it (unless I'm missing something...)

If you do this, I suggest you begin with just the nut modification. If that plays well for you, THEN think about modding the saddle string spacing. Just be sure to retain the original nut as you might be reinstalling it...
Old 08-17-2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BothHands View Post
If you do this, I suggest you begin with just the nut modification. If that plays well for you, THEN think about modding the saddle string spacing. Just be sure to retain the original nut as you might be reinstalling it...
excellent advise

Quote:
and the fret ends are rounded over in far too large an arc.

Bud that's an easy route and purf. Own it, don't let it own you

Life to short for dummies.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
how can I widen them out at the bridge? (without replacing the bridge)..
can you take a photo from the bridge end looking up towards the nut, just to see how the strings are laying across the neck

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 08-17-2015, 07:34 PM

First of all, it would be helpful if you stated what the nut width is, and also what the string spacing at the bridge is at present.

Second of all, when you talk about distance from the edge of the fretboard, are you measuring to the center of the string, or are you talking about the space between the outside of the string and the edge of the fretboard?

Your suggestion of making the strings parallel to the edge of the fretboard is one which I would dissuade you strongly from doing. The gap between the fretboard edge and the E strings should increase as you go up the board.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:40 PM
Dan - Charter Member

There are dangers, as pointed out. Trying a notched saddle is easy and would tell you whether it's going to work out.

I wonder if it would be possible to slot the bridge, as is done sometimes so you can use solid pins, but make the slots at a slight outward angle instead of all parallel. Those of you with experience, would that work?
Old 08-18-2015, 06:21 AM
Charter Member

The Nut is 1-23/32
String spacing at the nut is 1-15/32
String spacing at the 12th fret is 1-27/32
String spacing at the saddle is 2-3/16

I have a guitar where the strings parallel the edge of the fingerboard, but I noticed that on others the gap between the strings and the fingerboard edge does increase as you go up the board.

Whatever I do, I will be sure to be able to make it reversible. My motivation is that my forefinger is abbreviated due to a table saw accident and it's a little stubby. I'm just trying to get a little extra room.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
My motivation is that my forefinger is abbreviated due to a table saw accident and it's a little stubby. I'm just trying to get a little extra room.
Like you, I like a wider nut and wider string spacing at both ends, AND...I use a table saw frequently. I still have all my digits (so far) but man, ah feel yer pain as Bubba Clinton used to say. And I understand very well your motivation in doing what you're discussing in this thread.

I'm about to attempt something EXTREME in order to widen the string spacing on one of my guitars. Keep an eye peeled for a thread from me (BothHands) in the next day or two asking questions about how to proceed. I'm pretty sure that what I have in mind is the best and most satisfying/playable solution - but it's going to be...well...extreme. On the other hand, you're a woodworker, so my approach might make excellent to you, and for you.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outhouse View Post
Bud that's an easy route and purf. Own it, don't let it own you.
You wrote in response to me saying my fret ends are rounded over way too much, which contributes to pulling/pushing the E strings over the fretboard edges - a BIG problem for me.

I don't understand what you mean "an easy route and purf"... If there's some relatively simple & cheap way of improving the situation, I WANT TO KNOW ABOUT IT!

Please explain what you mean.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair