The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-29-2009, 02:36 PM

Default Fender choice: which of Two high-end Custom Shops Models?

I've decided to take the plunge and add a tasty electric to the herd and would love some sage advice on which black hole I should throw my money down!

I'm looking at two right now and they're not very similar. The common thread is that they're really interesting instruments that have emotional appeal.

Here they are, the most expensive first. To avoid going offside on AGF pricing discussions, the approx delta's I'd have to pay for the Srat (no. 1) is about $500 more than the Tele (no. 2).

1. 56 Strat Relic Custom Shop LTD (Taos Turquoise)

This one is gorgeous! Real light relic'ing (I know, not everyone is a fan, but it does mean the guitar is a hand-built, hand-finished instrument). Only 100 made.

Spec's

- Ash Body (Nitrocellulose Lacquer Finish) and Maple neck with 10/'56 "Boat" Shape, 9.5" radius

- Pickups: Mark Kendrick Design Single-Coil Strat (middle pickup is reverse wound/reverse polarity for hum canceling in switch positions 2 and 4)

- Bridge: American Vintage Synchronized Tremolo with "Ash Tray" Bridge Cover

- Gotoh Vintage Style Tuning Machines

- Hardware: Nickel/Chrome

- all original detailing from Original Tooling (whatever that means??)

- light relic and aging of parts

2. A Tele James Burton.

Again, some of you are going to go ... But heh, I love the look. I don't know much about the Fender 'Artist Signature Series.' It is American made, but doesn't claim to be 'custom,' just 'signature.'

Spec's

- Basswood body with 1 pc Maple ‘60’s “U” Shape neck (Satin Urethane Finish); 9.5” radius

- Pickups: 3 James Burton Blade Pickups with 5-Position Special "Strat-o-Tele" with S-1 Switching

- Schaller Deluxe Cast/Sealed Tuners with Pearl Buttons

- Gold-Plated hardware

If the King loves music, it is well with the land. ~Mencius

bourgeois omc euro
ca cargo, gxi
doolin om
gibson custom j45 vine
larrivee sd50, cust.walnut parlor
martin d40, d18ge, ltd.000 hippie
takamine ef341sc, ltd98
taylor 555-12, T5-C, 516ce FLTD

electrics: suhr-s, taylor T3-B, gibson lp std, guild '63 starfire III & '80 IV; amer.dlx & '57 AVRI strats; 52RI & J Burton teles
Old 04-29-2009, 04:21 PM

Beautiful choices, both of them!

You seem to be someone not very familiar with electrics. As such, I would suggest you explore, research, and play lots of gits before deciding. Within the Strat (and Tele) family, alone, there are dozens to choose from. Neck radius and profile, fret types, pickups, bridge type, tuners vary from model to model.

You may also want to look at the Gibson/Epi family; generally different scale length, pickups, tone, etc.

Depending on your playing style, you may find that something totally different from either of your favorites is best for you. You also should consider buying used, in case you decide your first choice isn't ideal for you.

Happy hunting.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:09 PM

Default Why fender?

No offense, but for that kind of coin I'd be looking somewhere else. At that price range there are a lot of companies that out-fender fender. Don't get me wrong, I've seen some pretty nice custom shops jobs (my local shop has a sweet used CS 62 RI relic that would be mine if it weren't right handed!), and I'm not a Fender basher--I've owned more than my fair share of teles, strats, and p and j basses. It's just that for the money I'd much rather have something like a Tom Anderson.

That being said, out of the options you gave I'd probably go for the Strat.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftycajun View Post
... At that price range there are a lot of companies that out-fender fender. It's just that for the money I'd much rather have something like a Tom Anderson....
+1... The Fenders are nice guitars, but with your planned budget you may want to also look at some custom guitar builders - great quality and playability!

Check out Nash guitars for great relics...
Nash Guitars - really nice relic guitars
Nash 50's Relic Strat Harmony Central Review
World Music Nashville website for price range

Also:
Anderson Guitars
Suhr guitars
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream” ~Mark Twain
Old 04-29-2009, 10:55 PM

Default Searching for Special

Good advice all.

In the 'you snooze, you don't have to decide' category, the Strat has been sold. That JB Tele is still available.

I wasn't planning on buying either new, by the way, so yes, they're expensive guitars for Fenders, but not new-retail expensive. Call it 35-50% off retail new ...way less than the original list.

The electrics I own are solid, quality guitars ...some, like the Guild's, are 30 - 40 years old. The LP, PRS and Fenders are 3-10 years old. And I do have both a Strat (50th Anniv. Am Deluxe w/ samarium cobalt noiseless pups) and a Tele (52 RI - Texas Specials), so I know how they differ.

The Tele in the original post stlll strikes me as very cool (look at the pups configuration and switching) - I may trade my PRS CU22 for it and some cash. Other than a YouTube clip, I've never seen or heard a James Burton Tele, let alone had a chance to play it. I was hoping someone had some experience with it.

And I should and will look at the smaller builders if I'm going to be spending $1-2k. They're harder to find on the used market, of course, but I'm patient. I just wanted something different ...I don't need or want another sunburst strat copy ...however well made it is.

I think a Suhr would be out of reach at that price point. I can probably find a used Anderson under $2k. And those Nash 'Timewarp's look great, but again, they are probably over $2k, and I'm not interested in going that far this time.

bourgeois omc euro
ca cargo, gxi
doolin om
gibson custom j45 vine
takamine ef341sc, ltd98

electrics: suhr-s, taylor T3-B, gibson lp std, guild '63 starfire III & '80 IV; amer.dlx & '57 AVRI strats; 52RI & J Burton teles

Last edited by pdks; 04-29-2009 at 11:03 PM. Reason: correction
Old 04-30-2009, 04:22 AM
Charter Member

Just received the Fender Custom Shop Eric Clapton "Blackie" that I'd won on Ebay. It's fit, feel, and sound really shine above my other MIM and MIA Fenders. Despite the advice of others to look outside the Fender realm for a nice electric, I understand the desire to stick with the original. It's akin to buying a Harley rather than one of the oriental knock-offs....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 04-30-2009, 08:32 AM

American-made G&L Strats are pretty fine in their own right, and nobody will call a guitar by G&L a "Fender knock-off". Just more grist for the mill - if you get the opportunity, give them a try.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:52 PM

Default +1 for G&L

I forgot about those! I actually just traded a G&L legacy for my current Tele. Honestly, the G&L was hands down a better instrument. Better finish, better wood, better hardware, better pickups, etc. for less than comparable new Fenders. I just couldn't bond with it. I'm more comfortable with a tele than a strat. And by the time I'm done I'll have replaced almost everything on the tele anyway, so I wasn't that concerned about it's shortcomings. If I ever find a nice lefty ASAT though...

The other nice thing about G&L is they aren't to hard to find on the used market (as long as you're right handed!), and they are horribly undervalued, making them very affordable.

Still, if I was gonna spend 2k or so, I'd be looking for an Anderson.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:59 AM

Default The trigger...

Thanks guys, for the advice and counsel. You've opened my eyes to some interesting 'boutique' alternatives. My next electric purchase / trade will likely be mid-price point small builder. I just have to get my hands on some and actually play and feel them before I take the plunge.

But let's not let that stand in the way of a good GAS attack! I pulled the trigger on the James Burton Signature Series Tele. Traded a PRS that I never play for it with a Forum member.

His pic below (and an old Burton album cover below that).

I'll provide a brief review and my photos when she arrives.

Again, thanks!

bourgeois omc euro
ca cargo, gxi
doolin om
gibson custom j45 vine
takamine ef341sc, ltd98

Old 05-01-2009, 02:13 PM

Don't mean ti be contray but I agree with LeftyCajun. There are a whole lot of guys out there building guitars with as good if not better quality than the Fender CS for a whole lot less cash.

If ya want a relic - check out the Vinneto Artifacts made by Vince Cunetto (one of the folks who started the Fender CS).
Old 05-01-2009, 09:37 PM

Talking Congrats!

Congrats on the Burton...played one a while back at Sam Ash Nashville and loved it...it is one version of several JBs that have been produced over the years...I like this one best!
Old 05-02-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Tried View Post
Congrats on the Burton...played one a while back at Sam Ash Nashville and loved it...it is one version of several JBs that have been produced over the years...I like this one best!

You're 'da bomb,' M.T.! (as my kids would say). Thanks for the encouraging words...

bourgeois omc euro
ca cargo, gxi
doolin om
gibson custom j45 vine
takamine ef341sc, ltd98

Old 05-03-2009, 03:01 AM

I am late to the thread, but have a supporting opinion.

Having built both a killer strat and a tele to die for, I find that the tele is the better transition instrument for an acoustic player looking to go a bit electric.

I hope you are enjoying your tele as much as I am mine! :-)

*everything* is a tone control

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars