The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-10-2008, 09:58 PM

Question Les Paul Tone...

This probably has been asked in a different way but, wanted to hear your opinion on this:

Thinking of getting a Gibson LP studio... used, BUT I don't have that much money so I was thinking of getting an Epi LP and changing the pickups to gibby's.

Main purpose is to get the humbucker gibson tone.

What else can I do?
Old 12-11-2008, 06:10 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Look HERE for a pretty good deal on an LP Special right here on the AGF classifieds. The special does have the humbuckers but doesn't have the maple body cap so it won't be quite as fat sounding as a Standard, but some like that better.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-11-2008, 06:18 AM

Epi's are fine. But by the time you put the pickups you want into it you'll be approaching the cost of a Gibson (studio). I have Epi's and Gibsons and prefer the Gibsons. If you swing it financially I think you'll be happier in the long run.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:55 AM

THanks Bob.. I emailed him... I think this is a good deal. I'll wait for his reply.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:15 AM

Get the real thing . If you decide to sell it will hold it's value .Plus the look of the headstock is worth a couple hundred more .
Old 12-11-2008, 04:48 PM

I changed my mind go buy this , under $200 http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone...70-i1149986.gc Jay Farrar of son volt uses it and I just tried one they are great .
Old 12-11-2008, 05:28 PM

I owned an one of those under $200 epis with OEM pups.... I hate that sound
Old 12-11-2008, 05:52 PM

Gibson is the all-out loser in the bang-for-buck category. I do like some Gibson necks though.

The ESP LTD EC-400 series guitars are terrific. It's around 6 bills. You'll need to spend over $2500 to get something genuinely better. I've also read great things about the Dean Soltero. It's at the same price point as the LTD. Either of these guitars will get you into Les Paul land without have to spend a fortune in upgrades. With either of these guitars, you're less than half the price of a Gibson LP Studion and you're nowhere near the price of a Classic, Traditional, or Standard.

Ovation CSE24
Old 12-12-2008, 01:08 PM

I did what you were thinking Alex. Found a Gibson LP special faded in red used and reasonable not knowing all the in and outs. I love mine, the pickups are rich and it will growl or be jazzy just depends on what I use it for. FWIW the name on the headstock floats my boat...YMMV. I don't sit there and think, "man I wish I had that Epiphone for X amount less". I did that once on a ES335 dot Epi... it lasted about a month. Mine's all dinged up and buckle rashed from the previous owner and I've carved my share of pick strokes into it. I've even had the headstock re-glued on after a tip over. I love having a "player"...it's liberating really.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMZ View Post
I did what you were thinking Alex. Found a Gibson LP special faded in red used and reasonable not knowing all the in and outs. I love mine, the pickups are rich and it will growl or be jazzy just depends on what I use it for. FWIW the name on the headstock floats my boat...YMMV. I don't sit there and think, "man I wish I had that Epiphone for X amount less". I did that once on a ES335 dot Epi... it lasted about a month. Mine's all dinged up and buckle rashed from the previous owner and I've carved my share of pick strokes into it. I've even had the headstock re-glued on after a tip over. I love having a "player"...it's liberating really.
thanks man, I agree with you. I think I'm going to go out and find a used Gibby, what I like is the tone from the alnico's and how they sound on that guitar, even on the SG...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars