The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-27-2008, 08:39 AM

Default Mesa Boogie amp recommendation

I play in a contemporary Christian band at church and looking to upgrade my amp from the Fender Super Champ I'm currently using. I'm looking for a 15-W, all tube that generates some good, clean crunch at low volume levels (in the 3 range). I mic my amp and can't have too much stage presence. The drummer, who is also a very good guitarist, suggested Mesa Boogie amps. Any recommendations are very much appreciated. If there's another amp that you can recommend I'd be grateful to know of that as well.

Thank you in advance,
vbf
Old 11-27-2008, 08:55 AM

I really like the Express series. Try a 5:25 with the 12" speaker. It does a pretty passable Fenderish clean, a very nice Vox chime (which you'd expect), and can get pretty mean on the top end, probably up to pop-metal territory.

For the money, it's a really good amp. I'm kind of a Fender amp guy, personally, but that is one non-Fender I'd jump on in a second.

The reverb, BTW, was outstanding.

Don't let the fact that this is their "cheap" model throw you off. It's a great amp.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbf View Post
I play in a contemporary Christian band at church and looking to upgrade my amp from the Fender Super Champ I'm currently using. I'm looking for a 15-W, all tube that generates some good, clean crunch at low volume levels (in the 3 range). I mic my amp and can't have too much stage presence. The drummer, who is also a very good guitarist, suggested Mesa Boogie amps. Any recommendations are very much appreciated. If there's another amp that you can recommend I'd be grateful to know of that as well.

Thank you in advance,
vbf
I tried both Express and the Lone Stars among others as I got interested in amps. I find I like Fender style 6xx tone more than EL-84 tone so that's the first thing you might want to figure out. The Mesas will be more or less depending upon how you switch the power output.

You mention clean crunch and I'm not sure I know what you mean, but it seems to me the amps with a drive option, multiple channels etc... are either too much or not enough for me. The best version of that tone I've heard comes from small amps as they get pushed a bit.

My own 15 watt or not big amp favorite is my Princeton Reverb. I've had Blues Junior, Hot Rod Deluxe w/speaker upgrade and I have a Deluxe too. My Princeton when at higher volume doesn't get fart-like or too gritty, and the small Champ types I've heard are also also that way where it comes on in a nice way vs. too much all or nothing with flipping a switch on the amp.

You might want to consider building or having somebody build a quality Champ or Tweed Princeton type. I attended a now defunct amp builder's club and that type of amp had the perfect sound that perfect sound and if yours will be mic'd it could be ideal. It seems you can have builders do the best kits for less than boutique amps.

Right now I'm considering a 5F2A kit or a local guy building it because it will have the tone adjustment that a basic Champion will not have. I guessing that will give me something between my solid state practice amp and my black face amps.

If you insist on the Mesa, I liked the Express 5:50 more than 5:25 and Lonestars because of 6L6 and I don't play loud. I just think I would not spend that much now because a PRRI can be had for a fraction of that or a hand made classic would have you set for eternity.

Some links that helped me as far as the classics:

http://www.ampwares.com/
https://taweber.powweb.com/store/kits.htm
http://www.missionamps.com/index.shtml

Have fun shopping.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:24 AM

Thanks...great info. What I mean by clean crunch is a good distortion/overdrive that doesn't sound fuzzy.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:17 PM

I also recommend the mesa boogie express 5:25 with the 12 inch speaker. I had a 5:25 with a 10 inch speaker and the reverb was weak. The amp with the 12 in speaker has much better reverb. Check it out on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBEwyywbAc8
Old 11-27-2008, 10:02 PM

How about a used Mesa Boogie Studio 22. Great tone at reasonable volume levels. I used to get a nice Pete Townsend sort of crunch out of it.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:08 PM

Location: 3 miles from the Rose Bowl, 3 miles from Dodger Stadium

This Mesa/Boogie.....I bought it new in '94 and it's still goin' strong. It's been out of production now for several years. As Mesa says, "It's a five-knob wonder."

Peace, out.....Kabookie

* 20 Watts, Dyna-Watt Power™
* 2 x EL84 + 4 x 12AX7
* Half Power Jack (early ones like mine don't have this)
* Spring reverb (long pan, solid tone, reliable)
* Fat/bright switch
* Parallel FX loop with mix control
* Record out
* Silent record mute switch
* 1 x 10" Vintage Speaker (Eminence Black Shadow)
Gibson Custom Shop Non-Reverse Firebird ~ Gretsch G6120 TM Chet Atkins + G6128 TSP Duo Jet ~ G&L ASAT Special Semi-Hollow ~ Yamaha SSC-500 ~ Rickenbacker 360/6 + 370/6 + 330/12 ~ Yamaha P-200 Digital Piano
-------------------
"Play on, pick often, & prosper."
Old 11-29-2008, 06:34 PM

I currently own two mesa boogie amps. I would highly recommend them. The Lonestar series is great, but if I had the money to spend I would go with the Dual Rectifier roadster. It has four channels and the reverb circuitry from the lonestar series. I regularly gig with my rectoverb and it's a rock solid amp with great cleans and distortion. Just get a dolly, you'll need it!!!

Taylor 414ce Fall Limited Rosewood (2007)
Taylor 414ce SL Koa (2007)
Gibson Les Paul standard (2005)
Fender Am. Fat Strat Texas Special (2003)
Old 11-30-2008, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbf View Post

Thank you in advance,
vbf
I suggested a Mesa/Boogie Subway Blues because you were looking for a lower wattage amp. But wait! You're using a Fender Super Champ right now, brah? I mean, that amp is killer, man! I bought mine new in 1984. It is the last of the point-to-point, hand-wired Fender regular production amps. It was the brainchild of Paul Rivera, Sr. and Ed Jahns, when Fender lured the former to head up Fender amp R&D for years in the early 80's. Where would Fender amp production be today had Rivera not brought them out of the wilderness?

Or wait again! Are you referring to the current XD model? I'm afraid it has NO resemblance to the original Super Champ. Fender should never have borrowed and placed the Super Champ badge on the XD model. It borders on false advertising or at the very least, a slick marketing ploy to try and cash in on the great heritage of the original Super Champ. So, if you have the XD, I'd recommend scoring the 18-watt Super Champ tube amp. The sparkling cleans and pushed gains are easily achieved with the myriads of settings you can dial in through two push/pull knobs. You can find 'em used for between 700 and 800 cheeseburgers. Just my dos centavos' worth.

Gibson Custom Shop Non-Reverse Firebird ~ Gretsch G6120 TM Chet Atkins + G6128 TSP Duo Jet ~ G&L ASAT Special Semi-Hollow ~ Yamaha SSC-500 ~ Rickenbacker 360/6 + 370/6 + 330/12 ~ Yamaha P-200 Digital Piano
-------------------
Old 11-30-2008, 04:00 AM

Yea, the real Super Champ is sweet. However, if you are on a budget you might consider a Peavey Classic 20 or 30. It's the only amp I've ever played that I like both the cleans and the distortion side in one amp without pedals.
But I much prefer Fender over anything.

vtg
Old 11-30-2008, 07:24 AM

If you want a really good clean sound,I would reccomend the Lonestar SPECIAL. It has a 5,15 and 30 watt switch so you can keep the amp at a reasonable level while rocking out at the same time.

http://base.google.com/base/a/531775...11784091067799
Old 11-30-2008, 11:28 PM

What's your price range looking like?

In a modern, contemporary type setting that I'm guessing you're looking for, a used Vox AC-15 might serve your needs very very well. Vox AC's are what you hear on a large number of recordings, I promise...

Personally, I haven't ever heard a Mesa that really spoke to me. I might be a tone snob, though...

For low priced amps that do the crunchy breakup sound well, I was surprised at how well the Peavy Classic 30 and the Delta Blues sounded. Decent amps at affordable prices. I used to have a Fender Blues Junior that I kept set up at home for practice, and it was a good little amp as well.

If you're willing to dish out a bit more money for this, we open up a HUGE world of boutique amps. But, if that's not possible, the amps mentioned are not at all bad sounding amps.

For around a grand, you can get a great sounding amp called the Goodsell Super 17. It's a voxish EL-84 amp, class A 17 watts, great tone, and is very manageable when the stage volume is a consideration. It fits the style you've mentioned very well, and is a great amp.

It's all about your preference. Is it an EL-84 jangle, a smooth glassy 6L6 tone, or a ballsy EL-34 marshall tone you're after? I'd say for your needs, the EL-84 fits the music, speaking in generalities.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabookie View Post
Or wait again! Are you referring to the current XD model? I'm afraid it has NO resemblance to the original Super Champ. Fender should never have borrowed and placed the Super Champ badge on the XD model. It borders on false advertising or at the very least, a slick marketing ploy to try and cash in on the great heritage of the original Super Champ.
+1

Yup, the new tube and solid state with effects models are nicer than the Frontman series, but I played them against Princeton and Deluxe Reverb reissues and they do not have that almost intangible that I believe is tube sag or touch sensitivity but it may also be speaker because I think the lower cost models do not have the Jensen or Celestion speakers the better models have.

In all fairness I do realize the China made models are less expensive but still urge people to consider better all tube models because in my case it ended shopping and searching for something that was missing.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:05 PM
.tom the übergeek

You really should check out the Vox AC15 or the AC15 Handwired if you want to spend a little more jack. The AC is the choice of Contem Christian guitarist and is just plain cool.

I wanted to love a Mesa but everything I played sounded like a Boston record.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpullen View Post
You really should check out the Vox AC15 or the AC15 Handwired if you want to spend a little more jack. The AC is the choice of Contem Christian guitarist and is just plain cool.

I wanted to love a Mesa but everything I played sounded like a Boston record.
Well, I'm not a contempo Christian artist but I agree with you, TR, that the VOX AC-15 is one cool amp. I have an English-made VOX AC-15 TBR (reissue) with a Weber AlNiCo Blue Dog speaker. Natch, I scored it because I use Rickenbackers and Gretsches quite a bit. Throw in the JangleBox compressor pedal (yes, even for six-strings) and you can achieve the classic Beatles and Byrds sound. The AC-15 is a keeper. I play through it a lot and never tire of its sonic, tonal, and resonant qualities. I had noted L.A. amp tech Billy Yates upgrade the reverb unit. The tremolo unit is right on, man. I bought it used. Billy's tube tech business partner Todd and I removed the chassis to change the tubes soon after it arrived. Lo and behold, much to our surprise the previous and original owner had $800 worth of upgrades (parts and labor) done by none other than Socal amp guru, Don (The Toneman) Butler, Billy's good friend. Don had replaced the output and power transformers with Mercury Magnetics Axioms, replaced the choke with a MM Tone Clone, converted the rectifier to accommodate the GZ34 and 5Y3 (which I prefer), and changed the caps. Obviously, the vintage guitar/amp shop owner either didn't know about these mods or he did and sold it at a low price anyway on consignment. Pulling a chassis out to replace a tube isn't done with the snap of a finger. Anyway, Todd and I were pleasantly surprised by this discovery. He said, "Hey, I believe you stole this guitar.....legally, of course." Okay, I'm a thief. Peace, out.....Kabookie

-------------------

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars