The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-18-2023, 10:56 AM

"Moving the guitar back and forth in front of micophone creates "vibrato" at the mike via the Doppler effect. "
I don't think it can be doppler effect. In doppler the sound goes down in pitch as the source moves away from you. There is no way to raise the pitch in the doppler effect.
The video shows the pitch going up as the guitar goes away and this cannot be explained by doppler effect.
I think! But I'm open to being shown as mistaken, as I so often am...
Old 06-18-2023, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickv6 View Post
"Moving the guitar back and forth in front of micophone creates "vibrato" at the mike via the Doppler effect. "
I don't think it can be doppler effect. In doppler the sound goes down in pitch as the source moves away from you. There is no way to raise the pitch in the doppler effect.
The video shows the pitch going up as the guitar goes away and this cannot be explained by doppler effect.
I think! But I'm open to being shown as mistaken, as I so often am...
You are on to something in your last sentence.
The effect can both lower and raise pitch. Also your interpretation of the video nah.

If still in doubt pick up your guitar and hold it out at ear level with the face of guitar
facing you at about a foot and a half away. Puck a string (4th string a good choice)
and quickly bring the guitar in closer to your head. You will hear the pitch rise. Vise
versa when moving the guitar quickly away.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 06-18-2023 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-18-2023, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlemantel View Post
Curious, What instrument is he playing?
That's Pierre's Model F-based signature guitar. He played his original "Old Lady" guitar, which is what Lowden now calls an "O" for decades, then got this one designed to have a slightly smaller guitar - easier on the shoulders. But more recently than this video, he's gone back to the larger guitar, sometimes touring with the Old Lady, but there's also a newer Bensusan model that is the full-sized O, basically a copy of his original.

The F model is a nice guitar (I have one). Off Topic: I just ran across a video with Lance Allen the other day demoing the sustain on this guitar, which is fun:

When I saw Pierre recently, he was using a strap wrapped around his back, as opposed to over his shoulder, which supports the guitar for this type of neck movement/bend more than the approach of holding the guitar as he's showing here.

For yet another vibrato technique that some may find odd-looking, Laurence Juber often uses a "virtual whammy bar" effect. It's basically pushing on the top with your forearm, but looks like you're using an electric guitar whammy bar - sort of. It is kind of funny to watch, but when I saw LJ a few weeks ago, he was also doing Windmills, so I'm not sure he thinks that's a negative.

Last edited by Doug Young; 06-18-2023 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-19-2023, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
You are on to something in your last sentence.
The effect can both lower and raise pitch. Also your interpretation of the video nah.

If still in doubt pick up your guitar and hold it out at ear level with the face of guitar
facing you at about a foot and a half away. Puck a string (4th string a good choice)
and quickly bring the guitar in closer to your head. You will hear the pitch rise. Vise
versa when moving the guitar quickly away.
Haha..told you I'm often wrong!
I think I was thinking of speed of light not sound.....
However, tried the 4th string thing and I can't hear any pitch raise. I do hear a different tone as the guitar moves but not pitch. I'll try some more but would really appreciate it if some others could try and see what they hear.
Sound travels at what, 350 metres a second (?) ...can I really affect that in a foot distance and arm movement?
I'm not convinced yet despite nearly always being wrong and I also think the guitar in the video is moving away from the mic when pitch goes up, how does that fit with doppler?
Genuine interest, not trying to just be argumentative.
Nick
Old 06-19-2023, 04:36 PM

When I’m playing a song that needs vibrato I just step on my BOSS TR2 Tremolo pedal.
Old 06-19-2023, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
When I’m playing a song that needs vibrato I just step on my BOSS TR2 Tremolo pedal.
Sounds like you are confusing vibrato and tremelo:
https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/wh...o-and-tremolo/

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 06-19-2023, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlemantel View Post
Vibrato musically placed adds a lot to musical expression. I have been watching a lot of videos to see how people use vibrato. I am curious about the moving the guitar back and forth method. I see great players do this, usually at the end of phrases. I assume it works because it changes the distance between the guitar and the listener's ears, sorta compressing and elongating wave lengths. Does anyone have anything to add? I am curious to know more.
The moving of the guitar to and fro actually can produce BOTH vibrato (pitch change) AND tremelo (volume change).

I've used this to get a touch of tremelo at the end of a song, while I'll use my fingers to get the vibrato (as it's more easily controlled).

2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 06-19-2023, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
Sounds like you are confusing vibrato and tremelo:
https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/wh...o-and-tremolo/
Sweetwater left out that a rapid repetition of a note or group of notes is also called tremolo. Example as in the guitar piece Recuerdos de la Alhambra by Francisco Tárrega.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-19-2023, 08:55 PM

^^^

I've played the main theme of that many years ago, completely forgot about that technique.

2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write