The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-14-2018, 11:39 AM

Default Dog won't stop barking at Guitar

Not sure where to post on forum. Understand if moved.
My friends 6 month old West Highland Terrier will just not stop barking and making a fuss whenever I take my guitar out of its case. And that's without me even playing it. I could understand if he was a critic or just trying to sing along, but this is starting to be annoying. As soon as he sees it, he starts barking and won't stop. I, tried letting him sniff it, put in the case with it open to let him get used to it, tried to let him know it is not a threat, have held him and given a treat if he stops, have tried to distract him, nothing is working. Stern words don't work either. I tried for 20 long minutes and he would just not let up. Any suggestions? Be kind
Old 01-14-2018, 11:43 AM

Stop taking your guitar to your buddy's house.

Put the dog in another room from where you guys are playing.

Put the dog outside while you guys are playing.

Find somebody else to jam with.

There really aren't many options given the other things you have tried haven't worked.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsstrider View Post
Any suggestions? Be kind
Dog Whisperer

Old 01-14-2018, 11:52 AM

My dog (passed in June) would head straight for dog door when I would take out guitar. She was an amazing dog and that made me rather sad and greatly affected my guitar playing. When I'm ready to get another dog, I will need to figure out a way/do a better job of acclimating dog to that part of my lifestyle.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:00 PM

Has the dog heard you play before?

(Sorry, couldn't resist)
Old 01-14-2018, 12:13 PM

I think your guitar has been to the crossroad and the dog can sense who's in that guitar..... Spooky!
Old 01-14-2018, 12:18 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
My friends 6 month old West Highland Terrier will just not stop barking and making a fuss whenever I take my guitar out of its case. And that's without me even playing it. I could understand if he was a critic or just trying to sing along, but this is starting to be annoying. As soon as he sees it, he starts barking and won't stop. I, tried letting him sniff it, put in the case with it open to let him get used to it, tried to let him know it is not a threat, have held him and given a treat if he stops, have tried to distract him, nothing is working. Stern words don't work either. I tried for 20 long minutes and he would just not let up. Any suggestions? Be kind
Dog treats. When you take the guitar out of the case, give him a treat. Every time you go there to play and you take the guitar out of the case, give him a dog treat.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-14-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Dog Whisperer

Looks familiar, thanks, worth a shot.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:43 PM

Another vote for - haunted.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:43 PM

Muzzles are not unkind. Although, he may still be able to whine. Surely, you can put him in another room or put him outside.

The dog can be taught not to do it though. It will take more than 20 minutes but when he barks, if you do something to him that makes him uncomfortable. (not hurting him), like spraying him with water, pushing him to the floor, etc. Whatever he doesn't like, he will associate with barking. When he stops, reward him with petting and words with a positive tone.

There are also bark controllers. You can find them online and take it with you when you go over to play.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
The dog can be taught not to do it though. It will take more than 20 minutes but when he barks, if you do something to him that makes him uncomfortable. (not hurting him), like spraying him with water, pushing him to the floor, etc. Whatever he doesn't like, he will associate with barking. When he stops, reward him with petting and words with a positive tone.
This is good advice.

The dog whisperer video looks effective but how much of the dog's response to Cesar is due to him being a stranger? Dogs won't behave exactly the same for everyone so it's relatively easy for him to make it look easier than it is simply by being an unknown (to the dog). I'm not saying his advice will not work but it will take more effort than he might imply.

When my guitar comes out of the case, the dog gets in it.

I think in your case the dog is just confused. When the dog sees you opening the case, being a West Highland Terrier, it is expecting you to pull out a set of Bagpipes.

YouTube
Old 01-14-2018, 01:16 PM

You didn't mention the brand of the guitar, but I am guessing it is a Dogwood.

http://dogwoodguitars.com/
Martin OM-21
Old 01-14-2018, 01:27 PM

1) Take your guitar out of the case.
2) Put the mutt in the case.

Oops. You said to be nice.
Never mind.

Actually, I like dogs.
Cats? That's another story.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
OK, since someone else has responded with the obvious joke, could you say why you're frequently pulling your guitar out in front of your friend's dog? I may or may not have a solution, depending on your answer.

2018 Taylor 812ce 12-fret DLX
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Koa
Old 01-14-2018, 01:38 PM

It's not clear wether the dog is barking because of you holding an unfamiliar shape or it's distressed by the sound. In most situations one would train expectancy in the dog by for instance giving it a reward when it behaves. Another way is to get the dog to behave different by for instance training him to lie down on it's spot and reward him for that.

Perhaps it's not the guitar but it could be the dog sees you as a threat as it may have dominant behaviour. That means the owner isn't in charge but the dog is. That's obviously not how it should be and the owner should learn to take the leader status.

Getting rid of the dog's energy by taking it on exhaustive walks and deplete it's energy might help in changing it's behaviour. Punishing won't really help much, you just have to keep training it untill it obeys and will see the benefit of that. If all fails you can always call Cesar Milan and see what he has to offer.

Ludwig

Last edited by Von Beerhofen; 01-14-2018 at 01:43 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion