The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-08-2010, 03:32 AM

Default Is it a real Martin?

So I have just bought myself a 1972 Martin D-28 (pretty much blind over the internet) for what I thought was a price for its condition etc. I know these early 70s D-28s are not collectable, of variable quality etc, but I don't mind the dings and cracking to the finish. I have bought it to play and so I am looking for great tone. I know I shouldn't be blinded by the name but, hell, I'll admit it - its fun to own a Martin. And it was made in the same year that I was - which is quite cool, you have got to admit.

It sounds ok to me (great sustain) but the frets are popping out, there has been a bad nut job (2 pices of bone with the 1st string too close to the edge). Oh, and did I mention, it needs a neck reset (I think) as the saddle has been filed so low that it barely rises above the bridge. I am no expert though.

But this is the thing. A friend of mine has looked it over and says it is not a real Martin. He reckons the headstock is too rounded and the glue inside is too messy. Personally, I do not think he is right as the serial number (309961) checks out and I am sure I have seen headstocks of similar shape on real Martin's.

So I figured with all this expertise on this forum you guys may be able to help me.

The reason I want to know is that this guitar really needs some work and I am reluctant to spend the cash on a fake.

What do you think?

Old 06-08-2010, 03:51 AM

Hard to tell from those pictures, the rounded headstock is actually period correct, the tuners look to be replacements also. I see nothing that shouts fake but again those picture aren't very telling.

We can guess or you can take it to a luthier familiar with Martins, you'll need a good luthier for the work anyway, so get an opinion from somone actually looking at the guitar rather than guesses from forum members looking at pictures.

I think it's real and a birth year guitar is very cool, good luck.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 06-08-2010, 04:06 AM

It looks like a early '70's Martin to me. The rounded headstock is correct, and so are the cloth side strips, Rosewood bridgeplate ect. I'm pretty sure the Pat. Pending Grovers are correct on a D28 that age.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:07 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

I am no expert at all on Martins. I vote its for real. A fake would not have such glue free clean insides.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:12 AM

Default Looks legit to me....

.... the rounded headstock is right for the period so are the grover tuners. I see nothing in the photo's which suggests it may be a fake. 70's Martins weren't the best made/ built as you say but on the basis of the photo's I see no cause for concern.

As above..... get it checked out at a Martin dealer or knowledgeable guitar shop.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:14 AM

...just seen you're in London. Take it to Denmark Street, there's a couple of very knowledgeable guys in the shops there....
Old 06-08-2010, 05:12 AM

Thanks guys - I think you are right about having an expert look at it.

I have arranged for Dave King (well know British luthier and the only approved Martin repair guy in the UK) to have a look at it. He was very friendly and helful, so I will see what he says.

I agree with you all - I think it is just fine. It just needs attention from someone who really knows what they are doing! And then some love from me.

The question will be whether the neck set, fret repairs, new nut & saddle etc will be worth the cost. But as this is not really an investment as such, more a hobby/bit of fun - it would be nice to get a nice guitar like this set up and being played regularly.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:22 AM

i got a question. if the saddle has been filed down and not the bridge cant you just put a new saddle on? I know if the bridge has been shaved it would, but wouldnt a new saddle work?
Old 06-08-2010, 05:24 AM

and lastly: why the h*** would someone want to fake a 70's (a 70's!) Martin?
Old 06-08-2010, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmonsh View Post
i got a question. if the saddle has been filed down and not the bridge cant you just put a new saddle on? I know if the bridge has been shaved it would, but wouldnt a new saddle work?
That can certainly be done, but it would also raise the action. Usually on guitars this age you'll find a saddle that has been incrementally lowered to keep the action playable over the years. When you finally run out of saddle, it's time for a neck reset, and a new, taller saddle.

1977 Martin M-38
1982 Stelling Staghorn
2013 Larrivée D-40R
2014 Andrew White Eos 1011 (sold)
2016 Pisgah Possum
Old 06-08-2010, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott18 View Post
Thanks guys - I think you are right about having an expert look at it.

I have arranged for Dave King (well know British luthier and the only approved Martin repair guy in the UK) to have a look at it. He was very friendly and helful, so I will see what he says.

I agree with you all - I think it is just fine. It just needs attention from someone who really knows what they are doing! And then some love from me.

The question will be whether the neck set, fret repairs, new nut & saddle etc will be worth the cost. But as this is not really an investment as such, more a hobby/bit of fun - it would be nice to get a nice guitar like this set up and being played regularly.
Yes, Dave King's the Martin guy in these parts.

Good to meet another AGFer from London too!

Baranik Meridian "Aurora" fan-fret - Celebes ebony / Colorado blue spruce
Tom Sands Model L fan-fret - Macassar ebony / European spruce
Hamblin GC - Macassar ebony / Italian spruce
Kronbauer SMB - Macassar ebony / Engelmann spruce
Baranik JX - Indian rosewood / German spruce
Sheppard GA - African blackwood / Bosnian spruce
Collings OM1
CA Cargo Raw | Ele
Old 06-08-2010, 06:17 AM

But as this is not really an investment as such, more a hobby/bit of fun

All the more reason to get the repairs done right... the issues that you mentioned seem like they would definitely make the guitar less fun to play, which might keep you from picking it up as much. I think you'll find the cost of fixing it up well worth it in the long run.
Pairdown (acoustic duo, fingerstyle, Brit-folk) : http://www.pairdown.net
Old 06-08-2010, 06:47 AM

Looks real to me. And even though 70s Martins may not be revered, IMHO when set up properly, they are still better than 90% of other guitars.

MostlyElectric

Acoustic

Martin D18 (1970), Yamaha LS6
Old 06-08-2010, 07:36 AM

Only thing that I noted was that there was no CF Martin stamp on the back brace. See pic 7 on your photo account. I'm not an expert, however, so I don't know if guitars of that era omitted the stamp.

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor (by Harv L), Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme789 View Post
Looks real to me. And even though 70s Martins may not be revered, IMHO when set up properly, they are still better than 90% of other guitars.
True. Get it set up and you'll likely have a great guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion