The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-12-2013, 12:46 PM

Default Question re styles 21 & 28

Is it correct that the sole difference between the Martin style 21 and style 28 in any given year before 1945 is the "appointments"? For instance a 00-21 and 00-28 have the same materials and same bracing, with the 28s having somewhat fancier appointments. Is that correct? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:54 PM

Modern style 21's have a simpler single ply binding, and use rosewood for bridge and fretboard. There are exceptions.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Modern style 21's have a simpler single ply binding, and use rosewood for bridge and fretboard. There are exceptions.
But the pre-wars. As I look at pre-war 00 and 000 adi topped brw scalloped braced guitars, the 21s and 28s are the same but for the bling? Right?
Old 08-12-2013, 01:00 PM
Guest 1928

That is more or less correct for prewar steel string guitars. One exception is the 00-21. It retained the 12 fret body and wide neck, while the 00-28 was 14 fret after 1934.

Postwar D-21's had rosewood fretboards and bridges instead ebony as used on D-28's. The differences in modern Martins are less defined and considerably more variable.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY NY View Post
But the pre-wars. As I look at pre-war 00 and 000 adi topped brw scalloped braced guitars, the 21s and 28s are the same but for the bling? Right?
Pre-wars will be similar other than binding and cosmetics. Still, some pre-war (WWI) 21's I've seen do have rosewood board and bridge. They also had the style 20 sharing spruce/rosewood simpler still, usually no fret marker inlays.

Top, back, bracing will be the same.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
That is more or less correct for prewar steel string guitars. One exception is the 00-21. It retained the 12 fret body and wide neck, while the 00-28 was 14 fret after 1934.

Postwar D-21's had rosewood fretboards and bridges instead ebony as used on D-28's. The differences in modern Martins are less defined and considerably more variable.
Thanks very much. The 21s seem to be cheaper on the whole. I have a 1926 0-18, 1941 00-17 and am missing only a pre-44 adi topped rosewood back and sides. Have a D-28 Marquis as a surrogate for that and that may be as far as I get as there is a big price jump to get to the 21s. Just got the 0-18 a week ago, can't put it down, it's light as a feather, plays like butter, sounds like a dream. Was going to sell the D28 Marquis to pay for it but the wife and kids said "No!" and that was that no arm twisting necesary. I am darn near in heaven with these three, have been playing hours every day, sorting out which one is best for which song, or which way a song should be played to make it best for any of them. I don't actually know why I would need a pre-war rosewood guitar but I sure would like to find out one day.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Pre-wars will be similar other than binding and cosmetics. Still, some pre-war (WWI) 21's I've seen do have rosewood board and bridge. They also had the style 20 sharing spruce/rosewood simpler still, usually no fret marker inlays.

Top, back, bracing will be the same.
Cool, I will have to keep my eyes out for the style 20s. Thank you.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

I would recommend visiting the UMGF (Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum) and posing this question in the vintage section, since most vintage Martin information I've seen offered here is usually not always correct. There are members there that live and breath this stuff that will be glad to answer your questions.
Slackers 1:51-52
FSM
Old 08-12-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I would recommend visiting the UMGF (Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum) and posing this question in the vintage section, since most vintage Martin information I've seen offered here is usually not always correct. There are members there that live and breath this stuff that will be glad to answer your questions.
I had technical trouble trying to sign up over there. Probably my fault but it turned out to be more of a hassle than it was worth.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:24 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY NY View Post
I had technical trouble trying to sign up over there. Probably my fault but it turned out to be more of a hassle than it was worth.
Feel free to send me a PM if you want some help with that.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
After reading my original post, it kind of came across a little harsh about the AGF which is NOT what I intended. All I meant is that the UMGF is a better place to pose such a question simply because it's a place where peoe talk about everything Martin... Especially the vintage stuff. There are even a few over there that have written and published books on the topic. There are no steadfast rules with many of the old Martin models, and stuff was changed with not much record of when or why. Guys like Todd are a wealth of knowledge, and I'm sure he'd agree that the UMGF is the right place for such a question to get all aspects of it answered.
Slackers 1:51-52
FSM

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion