The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-01-2008, 11:09 PM

Default Taylor Adi Brazing

Im so pumped that taylor is using adi bracing! I have seen so much about the stuff but never had a chance to play one. Has anyone played and adi braced taylor yet???

Commissioned
Doerr Legacy Select African Blackwood/ Swiss (2011)
Old 08-01-2008, 11:37 PM

I don't think any exist, except for the R Taylors.

I remember someone saying that this is the first time you can get adi bracing for Taylors, and it will not be a custom option.

That sound kinda sexy, but I think a lot of luthiers said it didn't make much of a difference sonically in one of the threads.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaidog View Post
I don't think any exist, except for the R Taylors.

I remember someone saying that this is the first time you can get adi bracing for Taylors, and it will not be a custom option.

That sound kinda sexy, but I think a lot of luthiers said it didn't make much of a difference sonically in one of the threads.
Interesting....

Commissioned
Old 08-05-2008, 10:09 PM

Does anyone else have any opinions on Adi bracing???

Commissioned
Old 08-05-2008, 10:20 PM

They (R Taylor) say it makes the guitar sound more powerful and open although I've never played one... I'll let you know in about a month what I think
Larrivee OM-03R
Old 08-05-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miteemike3 View Post
They (R Taylor) say it makes the guitar sound more powerful and open although I've never played one... I'll let you know in about a month what I think

Congrats on your new custom

Commissioned
Old 08-05-2008, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJohnPaul View Post

Congrats on your new custom
its not a new custom...he has an 08' fall limited on order tt comes w the bracing
Old 08-06-2008, 05:30 AM

I recently placed a custom order through Guitar Rodeo and asked Jim about adi bracing. He told me (and this is one week ago) that adirondack bracing was not an option when ordering a BTO Taylor, but could only be had on an R. Taylor.

Has this changed? Should I be calling Jim?

Thanks
Dan
Old 08-06-2008, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miteemike3 View Post
My RT has Adi braces. I don't know exactly how they may or may not be contributing to the sound but, indeed, this guitar is powerful and open. The theory seems to be that since Adi tends to be stiffer yet lighter for the same size brace, its going to give you the strength you need from a brace along with contributing to the top vibration...seems to make sense and for the relatively (relative to the total cost of the guitar) low upcharge, I went with it. I believe its all a theory but no one can really prove it scientifically.

My Adi-topped Martin also has Adi braces. This is a fabulous punchy loud Martin but who knows if it might not be the same or even better if it had Sitka braces? Who knows?

Martin 0000-18 12-Fret Adi/Sinker Mahogany
Old 08-06-2008, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldrocker View Post
My RT has Adi braces. I don't know exactly how they may or may not be contributing to the sound but, indeed, this guitar is powerful and open. The theory seems to be that since Adi tends to be stiffer yet lighter for the same size brace, its going to give you the strength you need from a brace along with contributing to the top vibration...seems to make sense and for the relatively (relative to the total cost of the guitar) low upcharge, I went with it. I believe its all a theory but no one can really prove it scientifically.

My Adi-topped Martin also has Adi braces. This is a fabulous punchy loud Martin but who knows if it might not be the same or even better if it had Sitka braces? Who knows?
The world may never know...

Commissioned
Old 08-06-2008, 07:47 AM

I'm pretty sure there was a thread in the general guitar section talking about this, and all the luthiers said that there was no discernable difference in sound between adi bracing or other forms of bracing. I may be wrong, but I'm quite certain that that was said.

You still cannot order adi bracing with custom guitars, it's ONLY for R Taylors and for the upcoming LTD series.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:52 AM

Aren't the new LTD's supposed to have Adi bracing?.....I don't see what the big deal is....sounds more like a marketing thing but i could certainly be mistaken
Old 08-06-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanheeg View Post
Aren't the new LTD's supposed to have Adi bracing?.....I don't see what the big deal is....sounds more like a marketing thing but i could certainly be mistaken
Taylor doing something special just for marketing??? never...

Commissioned
Old 08-06-2008, 09:15 AM

It would be interesting to have to GS's -- one with Adi bracing, and the other with whatever wood Taylor usually uses for bracing. I would be willing to bet, that 9 out of 10, may 99 out of 100 people in a blind test could not hear the difference in tone.

I know the bracing pattern (shape & location) affects tone, and I'm sure if you used plastic instead of wood bracing, you'd hear some difference. But a significant tonal difference between identically shaped braces made with adiondack vs whatever Taylor normally uses??? I'd be VERY surprised if there's much tone difference at all.

But, I could be wrong...

2006 Martin 0000-28H
2001 Taylor Baby-R
-------------------------
Old 08-06-2008, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaidog View Post
I'm pretty sure there was a thread in the general guitar section talking about this, and all the luthiers said that there was no discernable difference in sound between adi bracing or other forms of bracing. I may be wrong, but I'm quite certain that that was said.
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=129984

Summary of luthier comments: you can't REALLY tell... there's not much of a difference what spruce you use. Some just use adi just cause they use it. No real tonal benefit.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion