The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-31-2011, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

Default Morgan guitars

Anyone have or played a Morgan Guitar and can offer an opinion, I'm looking at their slope shouldered dred.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimey View Post
Anyone have or played a Morgan Guitar and can offer an opinion, I'm looking at their slope shouldered dred.
Hi Steve…
I had a client who came in to record with a Dreadnaught (Rosewood/Spruce) Morgan periodically.

Recorded nicely - but wasn't a knockout guitar. Collings, SantaCruz and Huss & Dalton were far superior sounding/feeling to my ears and hands.

The Morgans I've played have been more like a high end Larrivee.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-31-2011, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

Larry,thanks for the feedback.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:43 PM

I agree with Larry. A high end Larrivee is exactly how I would describe them too. Nothing wrong with that! I don't see many of them around any more, it seems.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:55 PM

I've only every played them at a shop (someone sold three at once), but I agree - very Larrivee-like.

"Moench moved to Canada and settled in Toronto where he met and trained Jean Larrivee. In the late 70’s, Jean moved his workshop to Victoria, BC, where a couple years later, David Iannone met him and became his apprentice. "

http://www.morganguitars.com/History.aspx
Old 01-31-2011, 10:07 PM

OMM Morgan

This may not be a good comparison for you, because it is an all mahogany guitar, but this is a very good guitar. Lots of punch, to me, better sounding than my Collings OM1. When I bought this one, I played it side by side with a Larrivee OM5, and the Morgan just blew it away. Fit and finish is perfect. Like every small manufacturing company, it is the luck of the draw. Play a lot of the guitar you like THEN choose. I got a freak in this one, just a special one, they don't even make this model all hog anymore.....I hope the right one finds you!

Old 01-31-2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Steve…
I had a client who came in to record with a Dreadnaught (Rosewood/Spruce) Morgan periodically.

Recorded nicely - but wasn't a knockout guitar. Collings, SantaCruz and Huss & Dalton were far superior sounding/feeling to my ears and hands.

The Morgans I've played have been more like a high end Larrivee.

I've got to politely disagree. I own a Morgan DM. Very well made mahogany dread. Very loud, perfect intonation, amazing strummer. They are also often cheaper then Collings, Santa Cruz, H & D.

The Larrivee comparison is fair, but they feel, play and sound nicer. I think they compare well with Collings and Santa Cruz. I've owned a Santa Cruz and played many Collings. Can't comment on H & D cause I've never played one.

Personally, I'd rather own a Morgan than a comparably priced Taylor or Martin. Higher end brands all have their strengths, and Morgan is right up there IMHO.

I guess the only negative thing you could say is that they don't have a ton of bling or different design methods/materials, but they make real players guitars.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:18 PM
Charter Member

Thanks everyone for taking the time to share your experience with Morgans. Thanks a lot...
Old 02-01-2011, 02:23 AM

No one mentioned it, but the Luthier who makes the Morgans has a large space rented at the Larrivee Guitar factory in Vancouver. When Larrivee opened up shop in the States , the Vancouver facility stopped production of all models that were not the slope shoulder/classical guitar shape. They had tons of room and that Luthier started working out of there. This is my understanding of the story anyway. Morgans can be totally amazing guitars too.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:27 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

I had a Morgan DM Dred/ Rosewood/Sitka?. It was a wonderful guitar. Loud and defined tones. I traded it for a nice Fingerstyle OM that I have since GAS'd off lol
Old 02-01-2011, 11:49 AM

I also had a Morgan DR that was wonderful. Dumb to let it slip away!!!
Old 02-01-2011, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

I think they're a great value. I've seen some great ones. and some okay ones. Both in sound and fit and finish I've found them to be somewhat inconsistent but never bad...

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 02-01-2011, 01:41 PM

I had a Morgan DR (which I sold to markd). It was a mighty fine guitar ...

It was a versatile guitar with good dynamic range. A friend of mine has a Larrivee D-09 and we did some recording with it and to my ears, there was no comparison. The Morgan had a greater dynamic range and the notes seemed richer to my ears.

The workmanship was very clean and the setup was perfect for the way I play.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theotigno View Post
I had a Morgan DR (which I sold to markd). It was a mighty fine guitar ...

It was a versatile guitar with good dynamic range. A friend of mine has a Larrivee D-09 and we did some recording with it and to my ears, there was no comparison. The Morgan had a greater dynamic range and the notes seemed richer to my ears.

The workmanship was very clean and the setup was perfect for the way I play.
Yup. That's the one. I thought that I needed a wider nut, but I still hear the tone in my head. Should have kept it.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:25 PM

I have a custom CR-V, that I've had for coming up on 6 years now. It is not only a gorgeous guitar, but each year it gets better and better in sound quality. The craftsmanship is impeccable, with every detail paid great attention.

I wouldn't hesitate to get one. In fact I plan on buying another custom from David - all koa this time..

They are a great value for the money. And only continue to gain in value. The appraised value on my CR-v has doubled in the 6 years I've had it.

Sharon
'06 Baby Taylor - "Cry Baby"

"The resident unoffical Morgan spokes woman"

Morgan player #26 - www.morganguitars.com

"If men are from Mars and Women are from Venus then Drummers are from Pluto" - 'Still Crazy'

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion