The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-19-2007, 01:22 AM

Default Beater acoustic

What's a good beater acoustic. I'm looking for all solid wood, something that sounds great and has a vibe, but cheap. Kind of a traveling/beach/songwriting guitar. What do you guys recommend? Thanks.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:27 AM

Can you give us a price bracket? Though we don't discuss specific guitar prices here on the AGF, a beater for some might be far more expensive than the main guitar for others, so knowing your price range will be helpful. Also, do you require a new guitar, or would a pre-loved one suffice. Especially for a beater, I'd recommend a used guitar. You'll get a lot more guitar for the money, and a few dings or scratches are not likely to be that important.

cotten
Old 09-19-2007, 04:55 AM

I play mostly fingerstyle, and have been searching for a good beater in the 500 or less range for the past year or so. My first choice would be one of the older Larrivee parlor guitars (mahogany, satin finish). I found a used one at a local shop but it was gone by the time I decided to buy it. My second choice would be a Seagull S6 folk model (solid top, but not sure about back and sides). I've seen these for under 400.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smic28 View Post
I play mostly fingerstyle, and have been searching for a good beater in the 500 or less range for the past year or so. My first choice would be one of the older Larrivee parlor guitars (mahogany, satin finish). I found a used one at a local shop but it was gone by the time I decided to buy it. My second choice would be a Seagull S6 folk model (solid top, but not sure about back and sides). I've seen these for under 400.
Hi smic...
First of all, welcome to the group (you sneaky poster!).

I own a Seagull S-6 as a beater and it is solid top and laminated sides/back. It is a 3 ply laminate, but not to be confused with high end handbuilt guitars which have double sides.

For me the S-6 was a great choice because of the short scale and 1.8'' nut - which is spaced like a standard 1 3/4'' nut. Mine was bought used and is quite responsive - a good fingerstyle guitar. The Seagulls are the only guitars I've seen in the sub-$500 range with a choice of Cedar or Spruce tops.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-19-2007, 05:56 AM

Thanks for the welcome! Excellent forum here.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:41 AM

Not exactly sure what you mean by a "beater" that's "solid wood," but what I interpret this to mean is that you're looking for the least expensive solid wood guitar that plays and sounds nice. A year ago, I would have said "yes" to the older, satin Larrivee parlors...but, now that they're not making them like that anymore, they seem to go for quite a lot of money.

Check into a used Blueridge (some are just solid-topped, but the 100 series ones are solid wood), a used Larrivee -03 series or an older Taylor 200 series (probably with a few dings), or a used Epiphone Masterbilt. Also, check out some solid-wood models by Cort, Johnson, or Tanglewood.

2001 Larrivée D-09
2006 Guild D40 BJ w/ K&K PW mini
1992 Alvarez 5040
2008 Gibson Les Paul Studio
c. 1995 Yamaha CG-150CA
1998 A&L Ami
Johnson M120N
Mid-Missouri M1
Kala KA-C

Last edited by jmhyer; 09-19-2007 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:41 AM
Charter Member

+1 on the Seagull Folk. I have the Coastline model and even though it isn't a tone monster, it is comfortable to play.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaneallen View Post
What's a good beater acoustic. I'm looking for all solid wood, something that sounds great and has a vibe, but cheap. Kind of a traveling/beach/songwriting guitar. What do you guys recommend? Thanks.
Hi Duane...
Not sure if all your parameters can be met cheaply - but it kind of depends on what you call cheap.

I have found several all-solid guitar builds inferior to my lowly Seagull S-6 when it comes to responsiveness, playability (action), a decent sound, and a 1 3/4'' neck.

Seagull has put their attention on a plain-Jane guitar that sounds and plays well rather than trying to emulate the big-boys, and as a result, the S-6 is a lighter built and more responsive guitar that works well for all round playing and you have a choice of Cedar or Spruce topped models.

They are a really good choice for people with really cheap start-up guitars to step up a notch, and they are good beater guitars - and are inexpensive enough that one dares do things to them like put in a side-port.

Adding this to mine not only increased my ability to hear while going down the road in the RV (not exactly a noise-free environment) but bolstered my ego a bit when I realized there are fun ways to combine power tools and guitars!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-19-2007, 07:14 AM

The Cort Earth 200 comes to mind. They have solid top, solid back, and laminated sides (which is probably a good thing on a lug-around guitar).
Cort is one of very few actual guitar manufacturers in Korea, making guitars for a lot of other brand names.
They seem to have pride in the guitars that actually bear their name, and their Earth series are well built, sound good, and play very nicely. Mine plays and feels a lot like a Larrivée, as far as neck profile.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:57 AM

I know you are looking for solid wood, and this is not, but... I have a Takamine Jasmine (all laminate) that I think is really a great CHEAP guitar. I never worry about taking it around and leave it out of the case at home.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:05 PM

Blueridge BR-143. I love this guitar.

Around $700 up here in Canada.

I'm thinking probably around the $500 level in the States.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:34 PM

Default solid top, laminate b/s

I would suggest looking into well made solid top / laminate back guitars. I love my Yairi and I love that I don't have to be that careful with it due to the laminate back/sides. It has more volume and as much tone as the Martin D 35 or Taylor W14 that I've owned and it was well under 500 bucks. I've also owned many nice Takamines that were wonderful to play with solid tops but laminate backs. Solid wood is great, but it also requires a degree of care.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:55 PM

Epi Masterbilt AJ500M. Solid wood, outstanding tone and projection, lots of Gibson-like mojo and a new factory 2nd like mine will cost you less than 5 bills.
Not "dirt" cheap but it meets all of your criteria.

I also like the Seagull S6 as proposed by some others here, but the laminate back and sides come up short on your "solid wood" requirement; not that I would eliminate its consideration for that reason.

Good luck in your search!

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 09-19-2007, 03:04 PM

Get thee to eBay for something gently used. There you will find Gibson LG-0s (some of them all-solid, some with lam. sides) and Martin D-15s within your price range--and maybe even satin Larrivee Parlours or "03" series, perhaps even first-generation Taylor 214s and 210s. But if you are looking for a "beater" that will see a lot of beach, BBQ and campfire rather than performing duty, why require an all-solid guitar? Yamahas (especially the Costco specials for half what you're looking to spend), Seagulls and Simon & Patricks, even Taylor Big Babies/110s and Martin laminateds would all serve you as well sonically and more durably than all-solid wood guitars. IMHO, Blueridge and Epiphone guitars, especially the dreads, can be very heavy relative to their size--sturdy but a PITA to haul.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:06 PM

Used is defiitely the way to go, especially for a 'beater'

try:
Blue ridge
Guild GAD
taylor 110 (laminate but fantastic)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion