The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-08-2022, 12:52 AM

Default Anyone lead worship with nylon?

Wondering what it would be like to lead with a nylon.
Anyone do it?
I mainly strum. Almost never finger pick.
Old 09-09-2022, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

If you have never seen them before these two have always been an example for me on what you can do in amplified Nylon ...

https://youtu.be/PMpGjox3TBs

Sent from my motorola edge (2021) using Acoustic Guitar Forum mobile app
Old 09-09-2022, 11:44 PM
Charter Member

I've played on a worship band for around 5 years and it think it'd be difficult for a nylon guitar to have much presence in a mix. In a worship band setting you mainly want the guitar to have a steady rhythm and kind of be supporting the singer. I'd say if you play with a full band (drums,bass,keys,electric) it would not be ideal. Maybe if it's a more intimate acoustic set with just a cajon and guitar.
Old 09-16-2022, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

I have switched to only nylon. I have lead worship with a Taylor 312ce-N but have since switched to an 812ce-N. There are some videos on our church’s Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/324392789535940

Last edited by bry; 09-16-2022 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-16-2022, 12:03 PM

If Willie Nelson can do what he does with nylon strings, no reason you can't lead worship with nylon strings, especially if your guitar has a pickup, as I believe his does.

Now I wouldn't recommend flatpicking a nylon guitar, like Willie does, unless you're willing to replace the guitar when you wear a hole in the top, or have a luthier on call to repair it quickly, as I'm told he does. But will it work? Sure, if you can play it decently.
Old 09-16-2022, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

I think nylon strings as the lead instrument would be an amazing complement to a steel stringer on rhythm guitar. I've considered it on weekend where we don't have a drummer and end up going more acoustic. I end up playing mandolin to provide a different voice, but it feels like a nylon would excel as a lead instrument in that context but maybe be less than stellar (But certainly serviceable) as the strummer at the front.
Old 09-16-2022, 03:50 PM

Almost every time I pick up my classical guitar it is "leading worship with nylon." Not the kind of worship you mean. Or is it?

Last edited by FrankHS; 09-16-2022 at 04:00 PM.
Old 12-24-2022, 08:43 AM

A year or so before the pandemic, I was playing at a farmer's market in front of an Episcopal Church in NW Florida. The person playing piano for the church services moved and they ask if I could fill in (with guitar). While I use a steel string acoustic for gigging (playing is large part of my current livelihood) I felt the classical guitar was more aligned with the traditional Anglican Music. During the pandemic, we live streamed the services and the classical guitar worked well with just me singing the hymns. As we have moved back to congregational services and singing hymns as a group, I added a guitar amp to bring the volume levels up to keep up with the congregation. I find that while it is definitely different than a solo organ, it still fits in the context if I thought of the classical guitar as a lute. I won't say that I am anywhere near a master of either classical or lute, it does seem to translate to much of the music in the hymnal. It helps to have a very patient congregation :-)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical