The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-02-2008, 10:53 AM

Default Big T5 Question

Hey all, newbie to the forum, and was hoping to get some ideas from you all...

I have a T5 standard that I play live about 2-3 times per month in a 4 piece rock bank. We do a lot of stuff that has the acoustic element in it, so I typically run it straight through the PA.

But we are adding a lot of new tunes that have no acoustic, so I'll be needing to utilize the electric side of the T5 as well. So:

What's the easiest/best way to do this? I see 2 basic options, but not sure what would sound best/be easiest to implement.

1. Run it through an fx pedal like the PODxt Live, and then run that to the PA
2. Run it through the A/B/Both box, then run one output to the PA for the acoustic tones and one output to an external amp for the electric/overdrive tones

And maybe there are better options, but I don't know what they would be!

So any help or experience in using the T5 on stage is greatly appreciated...thanks!

Rob
Old 04-02-2008, 11:12 AM

I think #2 is probably the best option, run an A/B/Y box. You want the acoustic sounds to run through the PA system to give you the closest natural sound reproduction of the acoustic side. You would probably want to run some sort of external preamp with EQ for the acoustic channel. Then on the other channel, run your effects for your electric rig into an electric amp. You will maximize the electric potential of the T5 by running through your dedicated electric rig. The A/B/Y box is pretty useful because you can flip between acoustic and electric and not compromise the electric sound by running it through the PA. You can also run them both at the same time and get some pretty cool sounds.

Edit: just thought of this and think it would be pretty cool. Run a loop pedal on your acoustic channel then flip over to the electric channel and solo on top of acoustic loop. How cool would that be??
Larrivee OM-03R
Old 04-02-2008, 11:14 AM

Hey Mike, thanks for the reply...I never though of it that way...I'm new to the whole electric amp thing...any suggestions on good amps for the T5? I'm looking for something compact but loud
Old 04-02-2008, 11:46 AM

Lots of great amp options out there and it really depends on your budget and the type of sound you're after. Personally, I use a Fender Blues Junior which seems to be loud enough for my use. It's got awesome cleans so if you're after a distorted sound, use your XT live and you can get just about any sound you're after. If you want something bigger, I like the Fender hot rod deluxe which is the bigger brother to the Blues JR. Just some options... I like the Fender amps but there's tons of other amps that are great.
Larrivee OM-03R

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion