The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-01-2015, 05:39 PM

Default Just had a nice talk with Eric Johnson!

Well, not a talk but an exchange online.

Someone posted a video of Eric playing a new tune, Fatdaddy, but the video shows Eric playing the tune at a bunch of different concerts.

So he's playing the same tune but wearing different clothes, playing different Stratocasters, etc.

I commented that it didn't look like he was playing his signature Fender EJ Strat in any of the shots. Looked like he's playing old 50's Strats.

Eric must have been watching because he immediately posted a reply that he plays his new signature Strats a lot in concert and that he, in fact, was playing his new Strat in some of the concert footage.

I replied that I was a fan and even have an EJ Strat that I love.

He asked me if it was a Rosewood or Maple fingerboard model and how I liked it. Specifically, how I liked the neck.

I replied that mine is a Rosewood model and that I previously owned the Maple fingerboard model, and that I loved both but preferred the Rosewood model.

I asked him if it was true that each model (Maple vs. Rosewood) had different pickups.

Eric replied that that was correct. He had asked Fender to beef up the pickups and wind them a little hotter for the Rosewood fingerboard model.

Anyways, nice guy! And I really am a big fan.

Been a fan ever since first hearing him on a free record that Guitar Player magazine included in an issue around '85 or '86.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 07-01-2015, 05:50 PM

Great story!

On a related side note ..... I too don't have any real preferences when it comes to maple or rosewood fret boards. (Both my Telecaster/Stratocaster have maple boards though).
Old 07-01-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
Great story!

On a related side note ..... I too don't have any real preferences when it comes to maple or rosewood fret boards. (Both my Telecaster/Stratocaster have maple boards though).
Thanks!

I also like both maple and rosewood fingerboards on Fenders.

Either's fine as long as it has decent frets!

I can't stand those tiny frets Fender used in the 50's and 60's.

Always had my old Strats and Teles refretted with Gibson frets.

These days I use the Dunlap 6105 frets for refrets.

Those seem to be the same frets used on the Fender EJ Strats too.

Narrower than a medium jumbo but tall so I can still get the meat of my finger wrapped around the string and do those blues and pedal steel bends.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 07-01-2015, 08:27 PM

Nice story, I'm a big fan.
I have a 2011 candy apple red w/ maple board.
Would probably prefer rosewood too.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:37 PM

I dunno...candy apple red and a one piece maple neck on a Strat is one of my favorite color schemes.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:20 PM

He was in REAL GUITARS (San Francisco) recently and purchased an early 60's Strat.

Talk about a virtuoso!
Old 07-01-2015, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyblue View Post
I dunno...candy apple red and a one piece maple neck on a Strat is one of my favorite color schemes.
I think Candy Apple Red/Maple is a great combination. My Stratocaster is Sea Foam Green/Maple but a Rosewood neck would have looked just as good.

I love most of the Fender custom colors, but I'm also a big fan of the three tone sunburst with Rosewood board.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
I think Candy Apple Red/Maple is a great combination. My Stratocaster is Sea Foam Green/Maple but a Rosewood neck would have looked just as good.

I love most of the Fender custom colors, but I'm also a big fan of the three tone sunburst with Rosewood board.
Sea Foam Green and Candy Apple Red are two of the three Fender custom colors that are my favorites. The other is this color. I think Fender called it Shell Pink.

And here's my own EJ Strat:

Last edited by Gypsyblue; 07-05-2015 at 07:02 AM.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:32 AM

Another long time fan here, I believe he could play a cigarbox guitar and make it sound stellar !
Nice story, btw.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:51 PM

I love EJ and everything I learn about him or his playing fascinates me. Thank you so much for sharing this with us.

He, like Di Meola and a handful of other guitarists of our era, have skill and compositional acumen which just blows my mind. He sets a high bar for Strat playing.

I have not tried his EJ strat and I will try one when I can.

Now, how he gets that violin tone...I would love to know.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars