The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-07-2015, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilty Spark View Post
I can just see the ebay listing descriptions now:

"Pre-2015 USA re-opening USA-made Custom Legend!".

Oy.
You forgot "vintage"
Old 07-07-2015, 07:35 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

I've never owned one but I played several in college, and I thought the higher end models were very nice, especially what they were designed for, playing amped and gigging.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
You forgot "vintage"
Right!
2013 Yamaha FG720S-12 (Sitka/mahogany)
Old 07-07-2015, 03:45 PM

Played my first Ovation about 43 years ago. I've owned 4. All acoustics were USA made deep bowl and also had a Deacon electric. All were/are excellent instruments. Still have a Custom Balladeer and a Balladeer.

Glad to see they, along with Guild, survived despite Fender's ownership.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:13 PM

I have never been able to bond with the bowl shaped back. I would be more interested in them if they were shaped traditionally.

It would be cool to see them sort of go after the high tech carbon fibre market.

Doerr/Taylor
Old 07-08-2015, 11:42 AM

GREAT NEWS!

The New Hartford Shop made some fantastic guitars in its heyday. Let's hope they can get back to it. They surely have enthusiastic new owners.

I'm so glad to see an American Icon come back to life. Maybe they'll release the "Lazarus" model.

The New Hartford Guilds IMHO were the best of the Guilds but those have gone to CA.

I'm going to bring my newly acquired Adamas up for some minor work soon.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
I've never owned one but I played several in college, and I thought the higher end models were very nice, especially what they were designed for, playing amped and gigging.
Well, pretty much any crap Ibanez all laminate acoustic sounds fantastic when they're plugged in too. That's, (I surmise), what they were designed for.

So, how much praise can legitimately be heaped on a high ticket American made guitar because, "it sounds good when it's plugged in"?

Last edited by Captaincranky; 07-08-2015 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:43 PM

With the exception of a super shallow model, I think my Ovations have sounded great plugged in or not.

Yeah, they have their own sound, but so does a Taylor in comparison to a Martin or Gibson. Your ears like what they like.
2012 Ovation Celebrity CC29S-4C
Ovation CV68 Viper
2006 Parkwood PW320M
2012 Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus

Fishman Loudbox Mini/Orange MicroTerror
Old 07-08-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky View Post
Well, pretty much any crap Ibanez all laminate acoustic sounds fantastic when they're plugged in too. That's, (I surmise), what they were designed for.

So, how much praise can legitimately be heaped on a high ticket American made guitar because, "it sounds good when it's plugged in"?
The "Everything sounds the same plugged in" opinion! Lol!!!
Old 07-08-2015, 07:07 PM

That is good news! I love my Ovation, it is the ONE really unique guitar. Nothing does what it does. It sits proudly next to its all wood brethren in my home.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Bender View Post
The "Everything sounds the same plugged in" opinion! Lol!!!
I don't see how you drew that conclusion. The Ibanez' in question are mine, and they sound way better plugged in. I don't think they sound like Ovations. But, if you're going to say Ovations sound great when they're plugged in, you are sort of herding all the cattle to the same barn. You don't have to worry about my hearing, I can still hear that quality plastic difference....

I'm still waiting for Emerald to take over the composite world, and for them to make one of their double necks left handed....., and then for me to be able to afford it. I tell you if it's not one hurdle, it's another.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:24 PM

So what are the odds that, of all the people on this forum, I would be the one on vacation and recuperating from surgery and purposefully ignoring the internet for a week when this announcement came down?!

It's fantastic news!

While the Asian models are perfectly fine guitars for their price points, the attention the USA models got from the good people in New Hartford placed them several notches above their imported cousins. Considering who will be building them again, I see no reason to doubt the quality of American-made Ovations into the future.

And more importantly, lost jobs have returned, so hopefully I'll see some smiles on faces that wore very sorrowful frowns the last time I was at the factory. When my arm heals up, I'm going to have to pay a visit.

MY OVATIONS
Spruce: Patriot #76, 1768-7LTD, 1122, 6774, 1779 USA, 1657-Adi
Redwood: 2001-X, 1537-X, 1713-X, FD14-X, Dan Savage 5743-X
Koa: 2078LXF, 1768-X, 1997-X
12-string: 1755, 1615-X Walnut
Exotic tops: 1768-XWF (Bubinga), 1987-M (Mahogany), Adamas 1681-X (Q. Maple)
Others: MM-68-7LTD Mandolin, MM-868-X Mandocello
Old 07-22-2015, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
So, evidently I missed something, as well; I take it that Fender Music Corporation has sold off Ovation to some new buyers, is that correct? When did that happen and who are the lucky new owners?

Wade Hampton Miller
(source: The Music Trades Online)

Ovation To Restart U.S. Production
DRUM WORKSHOP has signaled its commitment to the Ovation brand with a decision to restart U.S. production of the distinctive Roundback guitar. Machinery, finishing equipment, and assembly lines are currently being reactivated at the New Hartford, Connecticut plant, the home of Ovation production for almost four decades. Shipments of guitars are set to resume later in the year. Drum Workshop CEO Chris Lombardi, who acquired Ovation along with Gibraltar Hardware, LP, and Toca Percussion, and distribution rights for Gretsch drums from Fender Musical Instruments last January, said, "A U.S. production site is critical for maintaining the integrity of the Ovation brand, and it contributes to the sale of the imported Ovation product as well."

Closed last year, the Ovation guitar plant in New Hartford, CT is gearing up to resume production.
Ovation's New Hartford plant was shuttered in April 2014, after Fender management made a strategic decision to focus resources on Fender-branded products and divest its KMC Music subsidiary and other non-core brands. When Drum Workshop completed the acquisition on the eve of the 2015 NAMM show, Lombardi confessed that he was unsure of how exactly to proceed with the Ovation line. "With our experience in the percussion market, we had definite plans for Gretsch, Gibraltar, Toca, and all the other KMC percussion brands. But guitars were new for us." As he visited customers around the world, a strategy began to take shape.
From a marketing standpoint, there was unquestionably a strong global demand for U.S.-made Ovation guitars. Distributors in Europe and Japan were particularly interested in seeing production restored and promised large orders. Questions about the viability of reopening the factory were quickly resolved when Lombardi made his first visit to New Hartford. He had expected to find the Ovation tooling and production equipment packed up in railroad cars, but was startled to see it carefully set up on the factory floor. A core team of four dedicated Ovation staffers had kept the equipment in place in hopes that someone would restart production. In addition, other factory staff had signaled their interest in returning to work. Lombardi explains, "With an experienced staff, the equipment in place, and a strong order book, the decision was easy. Getting production back was just a question of setting up the dust collection system, hooking up electricity, and renegotiating the lease."
Bill Xavier, the newly hired Ovation product manager, says that the first production models will most likely be a continuation of the long-running "Collectors Series" limited editions, designed to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Roundback. "We're planning some very special products that will appeal to both the committed Ovation fan and any other player who appreciates a fine instrument."
Old 07-23-2015, 09:30 AM

Thanks for the update, that is great news. Will be interesting to see if there will be new Adamas models as well.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
Thanks for the update, that is great news. Will be interesting to see if there will be new Adamas models as well.
DW is definitely putting in their due diligence, and Adamas is definitely part of the plan.

Here's something that's pretty neat, Bill Xavier, the DW rep for Ovation, has even signed up on the Ovation Fan Club and is actively participating and posting, keeping us as up-to-date as tactfully possible. He's provided his direct number to several OFC'ers and is very personable and chatty about almost all things Ovation, old and new! He also has an admirable, albeit frustrating, skill at maintaining just the right amount of anticipative tension as I'm certain the Powers-That-Be at DW have told him to only let the cat's nose out of the bag but no more than that for now.

One important detail is that he is adamant (Get it? Adamant-Adamas?) about is that they have very strong ideas about what models will be available; some old, and some new.

All I can think is that it's a bad time for my guitar budget to be so utterly non-existent for the foreseeable future as I can't stop myself from thinking that next year is Ovation's 50th Anniversary, and DW would be absolutely insane to not use that as a marketing tool for the re-launch! (Of course it is perfectly possible that I'm the crazy one.) All I really know is that I badly need a winning lottery ticket, but I can't afford to buy one right now.

MY OVATIONS
Spruce: Patriot #76, 1768-7LTD, 1122, 6774, 1779 USA, 1657-Adi
Redwood: 2001-X, 1537-X, 1713-X, FD14-X, Dan Savage 5743-X
Koa: 2078LXF, 1768-X, 1997-X
12-string: 1755, 1615-X Walnut
Exotic tops: 1768-XWF (Bubinga), 1987-M (Mahogany), Adamas 1681-X (Q. Maple)
Others: MM-68-7LTD Mandolin, MM-868-X Mandocello

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion