The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-25-2015, 10:45 PM

Default Anyone ever own the Alesis ML9600?

How did you like recording on it and how accurate did it record?
Can one just plug in a mic to it and record a performance with good result?
They came out at a whopping $1699 but now I see them go for $3-400 on ebay.
Thanks
Old 06-26-2015, 08:52 AM

Oh my yes...I remember these things. It was never intended to be a recording device. It was a solution (at the time) to home mastering to a disc. Even at $400.00 it'd be a useless 2 track, non multi-track device. Your iPhone (with Garage Band)8 would run circles around that thing.

There are hundreds of other, much, much more practical solutions out there on the market for $400.00 or less.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:59 AM

Hi thanks..
How about for burning cds off my Stereo..I guess as a replacement for Cassettes.
I used to record parts of my cds to cassette to listen to in the car..
Old 07-07-2015, 09:34 PM
Charter Member

I recorded my first CD using one of these, it was a very reasonable and quiet hard-disk recorder at the time. Worked fine. I did use an external preamp and converter, tho I think the converters would probably have been good enough - I did do some tests at one point and found the D/A (not A/D) converters to be a bit weaker that what I used. I'm not sure, but I believe it offers Line In, not mic in.

Honestly, at this point, for $300-400, I'd get a Zoom H6 instead. More inputs, perfectly fine specs, low noise, etc, smaller, runs off batteries if needed, has built-in mics that are adequate, and with external mics, it sounds pretty much indistinguishable from far pricier setups. And yeah, your iphone would probably be a competitive solution as well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD