The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-07-2015, 08:57 AM

Default Japanese made telecaster

Good evening all,

In my local buy and sell page I have been presented with this:

So we know it is a Japanese made telecaster. But whom can we conclude made it?
That is what I ask of you the most knowledgable of guitar connoisseurs...
Any information or leads will be most welcome. The screw on logo is a clue I suspect...

Thanks very much
Old 06-07-2015, 10:08 AM
Cocobologist

The laminated neck is another big clue that it's not a Fender. Poor fitting neck pickup (big gaps in the pickguard) and the odd pickup selector switch (Not a blade switch) are a couple more clues that is probably one that I would not buy. Definitely not Fender built, and not even a reasonable facsimile...

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 06-07-2015, 10:19 AM

Agreed. I've collected Japanese Fenders for years (they are my favorite guitars). There are a couple of problems with that guitar. First, as Gutch said, it has a laminated neck. This would tend to make it- if it is indeed Japanese- an early 70's model or previous.

Also, it has a zero fret- again, characteristic of early Asian copies. Next, the bridge and control plate are not Fender spec, or even close Fender copies. The headstock is not a true copy of the Fender. When the Japanese wanted to, they could breathe down the neck of the best guitar makers. Their good stuff is VERY high quality, with tight tolerances, killer fingerboards and good quality materials.

I suspect either a Frankenstein or a crude, earlier-Asian model. Perhaps a Teisco, Continental, Westheimer or similar.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:36 AM

No ... not a Fender Telecaster. (That's not a Fender Telecaster headstock plus no Fender logo for starters).
Old 06-13-2015, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutch View Post
The laminated neck is another big clue that it's not a Fender. Poor fitting neck pickup (big gaps in the pickguard) and the odd pickup selector switch (Not a blade switch) are a couple more clues that is probably one that I would not buy. Definitely not Fender built, and not even a reasonable facsimile...
+1. There's 30 layers there.
Old 06-28-2015, 02:21 PM

I think it's kewl! Nice catch.
Regards,
Jan
Old 06-28-2015, 05:59 PM

Fender Japanese guitars are great guitars. (This guitar in the picture however is not a Fender Telecaster ..... looks like it's been put together from various parts).

Still .... who knows? ..... might still sound great.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars