The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-24-2015, 07:30 PM

Default quick question

I have a 1/4" trs (stereo cable) going out of my effects unit that splits into 2 mono 1/4" male outputs. I am using one of the male outputs into my booster. The output from the effects unit is NOT stereo. Signal seems weak without boost. I think I know this, but just to be sure,,,I guess there is signal loss because I am only using one of the 1/4" cable outputs? Seems weaker, hard to say.

Presuming the output from the effects unit is NOT stereo but is going through a TRS to 2 regular 1/4" cables, shouldn't the cable signal be okay? Or is it being attenuated in some way?

I will obviously buy a regular 1/4 non stereo cable tomorrow, but its nagging me this one.

Anyone know? Bob Womack in da house? Or someone?

You might ask why I even had a TRS output, well, it goes into the stereo in of the looper and I did not know, at the time, that the effects unit really does not output in stereo.

Thanks!
Old 06-25-2015, 07:13 AM

What effects unit is this? If its got a 1/4" TRS jack, then either this IS stereo, or its a balanced signal. From your comments, I guess its a stereo signal. Just use a standard 1/4" TS guitar cable to go from it to the booster and see if the signal strength is better.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 06-25-2015, 01:06 PM

IT seems to me that it should not matter. Your output of two cables only has one active. The active one would be the tip connection going out from the mono effect unit's out jack. There would be no ring so that one is simply dead and inert and the two are not at all connected. If it was connected I could possible suggest that there is some bleed. But I'm at a loss as to why it would be that way.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:46 PM
Guitar Gourmet

The wiring color code for that cable on the TRS end should be: black is sleeve, red is tip, and blue is ring. On the other ends, the black (sleeve) line is split to the sleeve of both connectors, red (tip) goes to tip of one of the connectors, and blue goes to the tip of the other connector. Given that you are inserting a TRS into a TS jack, the TRS only makes Tip and Sleeve connection. If the TRS to 2x TS cable is properly wired, one of the mono connectors should fully work in TS mono and the other should not work in TS mono at all.

However, if the effects unit actually is TRS balanced mono output, both TS connectors should output but the output will be at a considerably lower level than it would be if a TRS was connected to both the effects device output and amp or console input.

Clear as mud?

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 06-26-2015, 01:07 AM

I think the second one is true. The first setup had both jacks working. The second is correct, there was ...bleed. I have corrected it with a regular 1/4" cable. Thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars