The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-15-2012, 10:22 PM

Default Anybody a member of Guitar Center's "String Club"?

An associate at my local gc asked me if I was interested in joining the "string club". He told me that you pay 20$ for membership. You then receive 5$ per month for strings. Months can roll over for up to one year. I was intrigued by this offer but also wary so I respectfully declined. Is anybody familiar with this? Is it legitimate or is there some horrible catch?
Old 11-16-2012, 04:26 PM

Anybody???
Old 11-16-2012, 04:47 PM

I read up on this on their web site. $20 will get you $5 credit for strings each month for 12 months, but the money does not roll over or accumulate. You would need to buy strings each month to take the best advantage of the deal. If you frequent GC in person and buy your strings a pack at a time, this might be a good deal. I'm sure they do it this way to get you looking at other stuff every month too. The closest GC is 50 miles from me and to me it's not worth the hassle and shipping costs to order a single pack of strings, even if the strings are free. I'll either buy from my local mom and pop shop or order in bulk and possibly qualify for free shipping.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:17 PM

Heck, you can always do better at JustStrings.com or one of the other online dealers. And their selection can't be beat. No thanks on that one, GC.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:54 PM

Opps, I thought you said "Sting" club.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdw View Post
Heck, you can always do better at JustStrings.com or one of the other online dealers. And their selection can't be beat. No thanks on that one, GC.
My math is pretty poor so please let me know how $60 (12 x $5) credit towards strings for a total cost of $20 is beatable? Anywhere else, you'll pay $60 for........$60 worth of strings.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorSteve View Post
My math is pretty poor so please let me know how $60 (12 x $5) credit towards strings for a total cost of $20 is beatable? Anywhere else, you'll pay $60 for........$60 worth of strings.
Because the prices online smoke GC's overpriced stings.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooglins View Post
Because the prices online smoke GC's overpriced stings.
Now I don't have a dog in this discussion but "Let me 'splain it to you Lucy".

Just Strings - D'Addario EJ12 set - $3.92
Guitar Center - D'Addario EJ12 set - $4.99

JS $3.92 x 12 = $47.04 plus shipping.
GS $20 club = $20....no shipping

Your math simply doesn't add up. Try again.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdw View Post
GC's strings are expensive - - -
Old 11-18-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landru View Post
GC's strings are expensive - - -
Sorry. But they're not. Any on-line presence may seem cheaper as they generally work out of a location that is not a store front. You see, commercial property costs a lot more money than a basement or warehouse to operate from. I always support local vendors when one has what I want over on line vendors. Additionally, I just checked their price for shipping which is $6.95. So, for three sets of strings that adds $2.33 cents per set making the D'Addario EJ12 strings I quoted - a dollar more, per set, than CG.

I'm not a string member but I think I just convinced myself to run over to GC and get a card. Thanks Jersey for bringing this up.

Last edited by DenverSteve; 11-18-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:59 PM

The nearest GC to me is 20 miles away. So, about 2 gallons of gasoline there and back, or about $7 per month round-trip. That works out to $84 per year which is more than I spend on strings online with free shipping.

Wouldn't work for me.

Last edited by Opa John; 11-18-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:05 PM

I don't change strings that much either. That said, I am going to join so I can take advantage of the $5.00 per month (assuming there's no hidden minimum purchase). That way I will pick up and put a set of strings per month in my studio. For $20 it can't be beat. Additionally, Musician's Friend and Guitar Center are the same company.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:22 PM

Steve, here's my take on the math....

I realize this is an acoustic guitar forom, but I'm using electric guitar strings in my example ( how many acoustic players change strings every month? And of those, how many have time to go to GC every month?).

GC string club member: $20 to get in the club, you walk out with one set of strings. You make sure you go back every month, and end up with 12 packs.

Non-club member, Looking to beat GC's "deal".... walks into Best Buy, drops $16 on the counter, and walks out with a 10 pack of strings. http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/det...=1218108416268

If he really wants the full dozen, he does end up spending a total of $23.60, buying two single packs along with the 10 pack.

But, our BB shopper doesn't need to worry about missing a monthly appt at GC. Miss one month, the GC club member has spent more on strings, along wirh gas, and time.

Last edited by Who; 11-18-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:33 PM

I like the way you think, Who. My wife got me a Strings Club card along with a few other gifts this Christmas, and I couldn't figure it out. I thought I could just go to the store, pick out a set of strings, and have them deducted from the card, with maybe some kind of percentage taken off, so I was taken back a bit when the clerk asked me for $5. (I'm too old to think in terms of an "associate," so excuse me for referring to him as a "clerk." An associate in my world makes big bucks. I'm not sure Guitar Center is that generous.) Anyway, it seems to me that UNLESS I buy strings frequently, or once a month (whichever comes first), her initial outlay of $20 is going to go to GC, and the longer I put off buying strings, the less I save on the cost. But here is the big question..........how long will a set of strings last in their original package? If 2-3 years is not a big deal, I could go for stocking up, since my local GC (like everything else in Bergen County) is within walking distance.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

I'm a member.

Have been for 3 months so far - so far it's great and works as promised!

I'm in Manhattan and work close by the GC there though so I go in there all the time anyway.

-Mike

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion