The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-23-2016, 07:44 AM

Default New Singer Songwriter

A friend of mine of almost 30 years who I played in bands with for too many years to count is trying something new. He was a bass player for many years and now is playing guitar, singing and songwriting. He is a work in progress but I hear progress everyday. I thought I'd post a cover and two originals and see what people think. He won't read this so no need to hold back if it's not your thing.
The cover is Ain't No Grave - Johnny Cash

https://soundcloud.com/killdeadcrow/aint-no-gravecover

https://soundcloud.com/killdeadcrow/crosses

https://soundcloud.com/killdeadcrow/strong

Last edited by Fret-O'File; 08-23-2016 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:47 AM

I've listened to the clips a few times before commenting...and...

I'm not sure what the guy is aiming for...definitely sounds dark and depressing...Gospel Goth?

There's something there...he's not without talent, but sounds kind of like Kristofferson or Tom Waits on a rough night...

I think there may be a market for what he's doing, but I can't see it being a big one...

Just IMHO...
Old 08-24-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post

I'm not sure what the guy is aiming for...definitely sounds dark and depressing...Gospel Goth?

There's something there...he's not without talent, but sounds kind of like Kristofferson or Tom Waits on a rough night...

I think there may be a market for what he's doing, but I can't see it being a big one...

Just IMHO...
Thanks Denny for taking the time to listen and give your thoughtful critiques.
It's definitely on the dark side as that is him in a nutshell! He's just starting out as a singer and songwriter trying to find his voice. I think when he gets a little more comfortable extending his vocal range, he will be able give more than just the raspy tones. I saw where he started from a year ago and he's making a lot of progress. I don't think he has any visions of being a big artist as much as he was tired of relying on others to make music and want's to see what he could do on his own. Thanks again!
Old 08-26-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post

Just IMHO...
It's a matter of developing some of the lyrical and melodic talent of KK and TW. I get a little bit of an Alice in Chains vibe circa Jar of Flies. Like with all songwriters, it helps to keep writing. There will be some ups and downs in what is produced, but my experience is that one has to write several less than stellar songs before the good ones start to come more frequently.

Mike

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write