The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-21-2016, 12:43 AM

Default Slide tabs without fretted notes

I am trying to learn blues slide guitar. I have an old injury on my index finger on my fretting hand. I can play my regular guitar without pain as long as I use extra light strings and low action. That does not work for slide. I am using medium strings and medium high action, so I really don't want to have to fret any notes. Does anybody have any suggestions for tabs or online tutorials for blues slide without any fretted notes.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 08-21-2016, 01:05 AM

If you use open D or G tunings you can achieve quite a lot without any fretting at all. I don't have any specific links but if you search for open tunings and slide on youtube you'll hit a bunch.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 08-21-2016, 10:14 AM

I have searched for the open tunings and there are plenty of tabs, but they all also have fretted notes in them.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

The tabs would indicate fretted notes, but of course in the case of slide guitar that would actually be in reality where the over what frets the slide would be positioned. Naturally it would have to be tab written for slide guitar in mind or you probably could not play it as written using a slide.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 08-21-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
you probably could not play it as written using a slide
Thats exactly the problem. I can find lots of tutorials and tabs but nothing that is written for slide all the way through. I would like to find some songs to play slide all the way through and I don't know how to change the tabs from fretted notes to slide.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:13 AM

t h i m k
really

it's all notes and they are somewhere on that neck . . . . . . . .

*everything* is a tone control
Old 08-22-2016, 06:22 AM

Just use the tab as a general guide to where the song goes, and make it your own. I confess that I picked up my old dobro, tuned it to open G and the blues were kind of laying there right on it. It's really kind of hard not to play blues on it. So I suggest that you get the melody of what tune you want to play in your head, find it on the guitar with your slide, then start to add in chords, runs, fills that sound good to you. How someone else did it doesn't really matter.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:58 PM

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this. I have been too busy to post anything for the past few days.

Donh
Quote:
t h i m k
I have thought about it. It is easy when it is just single notes. How do you do multiple notes on different frets at the same time with a slide?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Tags
slide guitar blues