The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-18-2016, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Maniac View Post
Another option I learned while playing with the old timers at the senior center- Put a capo on the first fret and just play an E chord. I've found that playing songs in the key of F work very well with the capo on the first fret. Give it a try !!

but the you have a 2nd fret B and second fret B is far worse than a 1st fret F in my opinion but I can make either so my my opinion in this case is probably not worth much. The worst bar chord of all is a first fret Ab one I will never be able to make
Old 08-21-2016, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Rider View Post
Also make the movement from E to F or C to F over and over again without playing the right hand. The helped me also tremendously.
This is what I do, except I strum each chord once (otherwise, how do you know if you have it right?). Helps a lot.

And not just on F. Anytime I want to work on a song, I go through the chord progression like this, hit the chord one strum, the next one one strum, the next one, etc. Helps with speed and accuracy.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:08 PM

While F is horribly difficult, I find Bb worse due to the way index finger has to barre on 1st and 3 fingers need to skip a fret and press on 3rd making it very difficult hand position.
I'm trying to do one finger Bb but it's not going good so far...
Old 08-30-2016, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

if you don't need six notes in your F chord, and you don't mind a mid-high pitched version,
try making the D shape at the 5th fret and just play the three skinny strings.

that is an easy F that I use alot.

for the first position barre, nothing but time and persistance will do the trick.

it's the hardest one to do. maybe you'll find it easier to master the barre shape at the fifth fret first, and then work your way down to the F, but stop at the Ab, the G and the F# on the way.

you'll get it , no worry. just some time.

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 08-30-2016, 03:13 PM

Of course more experienced guitarists will know that how well the nut is cut makes an enormous difference to the pressure required to fret the barre at the first fret. Most guitars you buy and even pretty expensive ones will not have had this work done.

If you struggle with this chord think about getting your guitar setup.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 09-04-2016, 04:09 AM

I am self taught on guitar, and wouldn't consider myself very skilled or anything, but I have never played the "full" F chord, ever. Sometimes I will hook my thumb for the low E but that is about it.

I don't know if it is because I learned piano before guitar, or the style of music I play, but I don't see chords as having to have 6 notes just because a guitar has 6 strings.

I always used to play x03211 as F, and most tabs seem to suggest this. I then began to play x33210 which is really Fmaj7 and sounds really nice.

Recently however, due to some different songs I am playing I have began to play just x03210 and I like that a lot. Simple, sounds nice moving to C.

Barre chords might sound great but I very rarely play any, you really don't need to in order to play songs, sing and enjoy your music.

Learning is great but sometimes doing is more rewarding. And it takes a different kind of skill and fun to find a different way to play a song on your own rather than just playing every chord how it was originally written.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2016, 08:21 AM

Practise makes perfect, so they say. Keep at it and one day it will just click. Once you have perfected barre chords it, then, does not restrict you if you need to do a key change on the fly or using the entire fretboard. I found the hardest one to learn was Eb in the first position, followed closely by Ab in the same position.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphster View Post
I am self taught on guitar, and wouldn't consider myself very skilled or anything, but I have never played the "full" F chord, ever. Sometimes I will hook my thumb for the low E but that is about it.

I don't know if it is because I learned piano before guitar, or the style of music I play, but I don't see chords as having to have 6 notes just because a guitar has 6 strings.

I always used to play x03211 as F, and most tabs seem to suggest this. I then began to play x33210 which is really Fmaj7 and sounds really nice.

Recently however, due to some different songs I am playing I have began to play just x03210 and I like that a lot. Simple, sounds nice moving to C.

Barre chords might sound great but I very rarely play any, you really don't need to in order to play songs, sing and enjoy your music.

Learning is great but sometimes doing is more rewarding. And it takes a different kind of skill and fun to find a different way to play a song on your own rather than just playing every chord how it was originally written.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
It's true you don't need or want to be playing all 6 strings every chord. Less is more sometimes. I don't agree about Fmaj7 being a good substitute for F major.

I hardly ever play a full 6 note F barre but I may use the same chord shape to form, say, a G7 or A7 on the lower 4 strings for some rhythm so it's good to have these shapes available to you.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write