The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-03-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvedia View Post

When I play C chord, middle and ring fingers are fine and no buzzing or touching other string but when I keep my index finger on second string 1st fret, my hand(area below index finger) seems to be touching the high E (first string).
Here's a hand playing a C chord in (mostly) good position. The wrist is too bent, and the pinky doesn't need to be tucked back like that (its in danger of touching the top E), but otherwise it's good. (NB: the nail varnish is optional .)

The main thing to look at is how the palm is not touching the neck at all. The thumb is at the back, pressing roughly opposite the middle finger. If this position makes your wrist bend as much as that, then just raise the neck so the wrist is straighter (your left elbow should be at 90 degrees or less).

Here's another view showing the space between neck and palm - wrist and elbow angle is much better in this one:

It's true that this strict classical position, and you see many rock players with their thumb over. That's not because thumb over is better, but because steel-string necks are narrower, enabling "lazier" positions to still be effective (a closer hand position won't mute the outer strings). And some rock techniques actually require the thumb over. But to begin with, the above position is a good one to start from if you're having problems with chords. Try to get used to the feel of that - and then you can gradually relax and vary your position more.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:42 AM

Check out Justin's take on it, below. Regarding guitar choice and position, a person (especially a beginner) your size will have an easier time with a smaller body guitar with a shorter scale length. And I can't imagine, given your size, that the suggestion of putting a dreadnought on your left knee (assuming you're a righty) is going to make anything easier for you. Maybe for a classical or smaller guitar....but frankly, most non-classical players, beginners to pros do fine w/the guitar on their right leg.

Old 08-04-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFD View Post
Check out Justin's take on it, below. Regarding guitar choice and position, a person (especially a beginner) your size will have an easier time with a smaller body guitar with a shorter scale length. And I can't imagine, given your size, that the suggestion of putting a dreadnought on your left knee (assuming you're a righty) is going to make anything easier for you. Maybe for a classical or smaller guitar....but frankly, most non-classical players, beginners to pros do fine w/the guitar on their right leg.

Excellent - much better example than mine! (why didn't I think of justin.... )
Old 08-05-2016, 09:19 PM

Try to fret as close to the fret as possible. That reduces the pressure needed to cleanly fret. Also I try to make my first phalanges of each finger as much as possible meet the fretboard at a right angle, though this is not always possible. Fairly easy on a C chord however. It may help to roll your hand counterclockwise a little so that the sides of the fingertips (closet to the thumb) fret the strings.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:12 PM

Agree with everything said here. Also, keep the guitar upright as you play. Don't let it slip down on your lap at any angle. You will not be able to see your fingers very well like this but its vital to learning how the hand/finger/neck connection works best. I see too many beginners trying to see their fingers as they play and this is counterproductive. Look first, finger the chord, put the guitar upright and play.
For sure do not let your palm hit the neck of the guitar. In fact I teach using a small ball that the student has to hold as they finger the strings. That way their hand is in the correct position.
But be encouraged. You are going to get this down and it will become as easy peasy as pie.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write