The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-21-2016, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Default Dave Rawlings

I saw Gillian Welch and Dave Rawlings last night, again. I'm a big fan of Dave's playing. But last night it seemed that he used a lot of the same scales (modes) in his playing?

Is that part of his sound? Does anybody know if his playing leans to a particular mode. I'm not sure...I only know this much [---] about music theory...
Old 08-21-2016, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Hi, I am not big on theory either, but I have (of course) listened to DR's playing and I think you have a point - maybe something like starting the scale on the 9th ?

I look forward to hearing the comments of those better informed than I.
Old 08-21-2016, 04:42 PM

Hey, there's only so much we can do with folk music... ;-)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 08-21-2016, 06:16 PM

It's a good few years since I saw Gillian Welch and Dave Rawlings here in Manchester UK. I remember they did some stuff in major keys, some stuff in minor keys and some minor pentatonic stuff as well. There may well have been some major pentatonic stuff and some modal. So I'd say the answer is no. It's not all one mode, but seeing them live was so much better than hearing them on record and you can't say that for everyone.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:04 PM

Your posting led me to an hour or two listening to them online. Most enjoyable. One thing that stands out is his use of notes outside the scale. It could be said that chromaticism is the antithesis of modalism and his playing makes full use of all the notes available.

Another thing that always impresses me is his harmonies. These are, to me, as inventive and as impressive as his guitar playing. Another late night.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:15 PM
Guest 829

It is quite well documented that he employs dissonance in many of his runs and there is info on what that means on YT. For me it is not so much that he plays similar lines but rather the way he plays them. He has a very unique style - something I for one would love to have developed.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:43 PM

I really love what Gillian Welch and Dave Rawlings are doing for folk music. I especially love the song Caleb Meyer and their Tiny Desk Concert for NPR. As far as his playing, I have to agree with the above that his style is very unique and developed from major, minor, pentatonic major and minor as well as being a master of dissonance. Not just anyone can pull off playing notes that don't belong in the context of the music consistently, but Rowlings knows when and where and probably without putting much thought into it. In my opinion a solid foundation of scales is great, but it's when you discover all the other notes that can lead into, out of, and in-between the scales that you really start to develop as a player and start to use your ears. Some people can find the equivalent of a mathematical formula and label the exterior notes as some exotic scale or mode, but I'd rather just use my ears.
The best way to discover what's up David's sleeve would be to do two things. 1. Study intervals and really listen to how they relate to the root note as well as over different chords of the root (Maj., min., 7th. and so forth) 2. Play along, that's it, don't be afraid to just go for it. I've learned more and improved more by just playing to records, jamming with friends and creating my own jam tracks and just going for it than anything else over the last 20 years. Do that with David and Gillian's music and your sure to find some of what's going on in his head.
I have zero affiliation, but one of the very best book series that I've ever read and used were from flatpicking.com called the Flatpicking Essentials and teaches the seemingly lost art of ear training as well as how acoustic guitar playing has developed from almost square one. This can provide one of the most valuable foundations of acoustic guitar that I could imagine. Good luck.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write