The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-19-2015, 03:02 PM

I agree and will reiterate the 'play it, if you like the way it feels and more importantly sounds; buy it and play it more'
I have a lower end Martin with a Richlite fretboard that I really like. I couldn't care any less if others don't like it.
I'm not sure if you folks knew this, but electric guitars weren't always electric. While I only play acoustic and prefer it, I sure am glad Les Paul didn't curb his innovative mind and give up his creation. I can only imagine the criticism he endured while creating and innovating. I'm thankful he didn't stop at "it always has been a hollow body wood instrument, therefore it always should and will."
The automobile industry is making significant progress and making cars fueled by something other than gasoline. Again, creative, intelligent, innovative people working towards changing what 'always has' fueled cars.
I work in healthcare research and education. Without evolution and innovation our average life span would still be 48 years. Many ideas and inventions resulted in failure. Yet again, I'm thankful we don't stop creating new processes, medications, etc.
Having ranted, my only concern over synthetic materials is how they will uphold over time. I get the idea that because Richlite isn't wood, it should be more adverse to climate change, humidity and so on. I wonder about the opposite. If the neck and body are wood they will(no matter how hard you try) change shape over time. If the fretboard will never evolve with them will it create more of a problem? I haven't seen this yet but who knows?
Old 03-19-2015, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

i owned a Martin 00 DB Jeff Tweedy that had richlite for the fingerboard and bridge. i thought it looked, felt, and played fine. that was a really nice sounding guitar.

Pisgah Banjo Company(2 guys) near Asheville NC have been putting out all USA material made banjos for a couple years. They are excellent banjos. They use either Persimmon or Richlite for the fretboards and all local native hardwoods for the neck and pot.

http://pisgahbanjos.com/#home

Here is a Rambler model with richlite fretboard.

and here is another flick of the Pisgah with richlite FB-take note of the comments under the video-Donald Zepp btw is a well known highly reputable dealer(just closed shop in January 2015)

Old 03-19-2015, 11:40 PM

Default to slopeshoulder

Man, I like your signature; you have a good sense of humour.

Last edited by Fred Watson; 03-19-2015 at 11:43 PM. Reason: forgot to give poster's name

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion