The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-12-2024, 07:19 AM

If a person does a song that I like at a jam I may pick it up, but if they are at the jam the next time I attend I will suggest they do that song, not do it myself. But I wouldn't be bummed out if someone else did it, or a different version of it. It is possible that we sometimes over think these things.
Old 03-12-2024, 07:49 AM

Not a new problem.

Steve Roud, referring to traditional folk singers in English Folk Songs, says, "It was extremely common in close communities to find that particular songs belonged to particular singers, and even though many of the others in the company knew and could sing those songs, they would not normally do so in the presence of those 'owners'. ... Some songs were held 'in common', but ownership of other songs was clearly a widespread and largely unremarked convention, which in ordinary circumstances was respected. It was not always uncontested, however, and there could be some resentment if it was abused, or if others claimed a song to which they had no 'right'."

Last edited by Dave Hicks; 03-12-2024 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-12-2024, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzu View Post
If a person does a song that I like at a jam I may pick it up, but if they are at the jam the next time I attend I will suggest they do that song, not do it myself. But I wouldn't be bummed out if someone else did it, or a different version of it. It is possible that we sometimes over think these things.
Yup. Two user-friendly guides for getting through the day:

1: Don't sweat the small stuff.

2: It's all small stuff.
Old 03-16-2024, 03:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hicks View Post
Not a new problem.

Steve Roud, referring to traditional folk singers in English Folk Songs, says, "It was extremely common in close communities to find that particular songs belonged to particular singers, and even though many of the others in the company knew and could sing those songs, they would not normally do so in the presence of those 'owners'. ... Some songs were held 'in common', but ownership of other songs was clearly a widespread and largely unremarked convention, which in ordinary circumstances was respected. It was not always uncontested, however, and there could be some resentment if it was abused, or if others claimed a song to which they had no 'right'."
In one group in which I play (Ireland) this convention applies. The group plays a mix of Irish traditional music, and songs from anywhere. It’s a great bunch of people and the core group are great friends. A regular would never sing ‘x’ song at all even if the person who usually sings it is not there.

Every now and then a visitor or new member comes in - they are always very welcome - and will do a song that ‘belongs’ to a regular.

Absolutely nobody would ever say anything negative to them about it, or try to get them not to do it anything. So it’s a very soft rule/convention. But it is interesting that it has survived. I see it in operation in a lot of session groups over here.
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write