The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 07-22-2014, 01:02 PM

Default SOLD!: 2003 Taylor 714c L1 Grafted Walnut/Cedar - No ES, Clear Pickguard!

***SOLD!***

This is one you won't see very often -- a 2003 Taylor 714c L1 (Limited Edition) in Grafted Walnut/Cedar. The label says 714ce L1, but technically it is a 714c because the original owner custom ordered the guitar with no Expression System electronics and a clear pickguard. Remember the good old days when you could modify a Taylor limited with a special order? Besides the very desirable wood combination and the gloss finish on the Rosewood headstock overlay, this model pretty much fell in with stock 714ce specs of the time:

-Koa rosette
-Rosewood bindings
-Gold Taylor tuners & strap pins
-Ebony fretboard & bridge
-Nut width = 1.75"
-Scale length = 25.5"

I bought this from the original owner who kept it virtually unplayed. I have played it very little, as well -- truly a "case queen". Nonetheless, there are a few flaws in the guitar. FIRST: Surrounding four of the tuner post holes the headstock overlay gloss finish has lifted (pictured below). It was like this (and disclosed to me) when I got it. It is not flaking, peeling or brittle, as the Taylor polyester UV finish is quite hard. SECOND: There are a few small depressions in the finish - one on the top and one on the side on the bottom of the lower bout, both about about the size of a ball point pen tip. THIRD: The gloss finish on the back, sides, and headstock veneer has some general light pitting. If you run your hand over it you can feel a slight roughness and up close you can see it in the right light. If you are a few feet back, you can't see the pitting and there is no pitting in the finish on the top. Fret wear is minimal and other than the items mentioned above, the guitar is in excellent condition and comes with the original case which is in excellent condition as well.

String height at the 12th fret is just slightly below the factory specs, which is 6/64" and 4/64". I did have a Fishman Aura Ellipse installed in this guitar for awhile. It was removed without a trace, except for the tiny hole in the bass end of the saddle slot where the UST was installed. This one is ready for the electronics of your choice or to remain completely acoustic. You'll be amazed at how light in weight this guitar is without electronics -- especially if you're used to Rosewood guitars. This one is significantly lighter than my short scale 814c and that makes the guitar feel especially alive!!

I love the tone of this guitar and I think Taylor is brilliant with Cedar and Walnut both individually, but especially outstanding when those two woods are combined. A decade's plus worth of wood seasoning doesn't hurt either! Guitars get better with age even when they are not played!

Years ago, due to left hand problems (partially fixed now due to surgery), I got rid of all my other standard scale Taylors and replaced them with custom Taylors in my required short scale configuration, but this one has been hard to let go. In fact, I sold it in the Spring of 2013 and then bought it right back because I missed it so much. Now it is time for it to go as I simply do not play it because it is not short scale. By the way, a BTO duplication of this guitar would list out at over $4,700!

NOW $1875 shipped to you within the Continental United States and PayPal is okay. Anywhere else, I'll cover the first $60 of the shipping charge and you pay rest. Any questions? Ask away! I am not looking for any trades. Thanks for looking and enjoy the photos...

ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING: Taylor, Martin, Gibson, Yamaha, Guild...

Last edited by GSMC Bob; 08-01-2014 at 02:25 PM. Reason: SOLD!!
Old 07-22-2014, 01:34 PM

Oh man I bet this one sounds sweet.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephKim View Post
Oh man I bet this one sounds sweet.
It does! Good bass with nice projection - very warm and woody, but not muddy at all. A little drier sounding than Rosewood yet a little bolder sounding than Mahogany.

How about a few more photos?

Anyone tempted yet???!!!!!

Last edited by GSMC Bob; 07-23-2014 at 07:44 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:43 AM

In the interest of a quick sale, SECOND price drop to $1875 shipped to you within the Continental United States and PayPal is okay. Anywhere else, I'll cover the first $60 of the shipping charge and you pay the rest.

Last edited by GSMC Bob; 07-31-2014 at 10:08 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:35 AM

I have had the pleasure of playing this one and it is a beauty. Taylor does Walnut guitars right! I have purchased a couple of guitars from Bob and he is a great guy to deal with so you can buy with confidence but don't hesitate, I could see him changing his mind on selling this one.
TEK
Old 07-25-2014, 10:14 AM

Beautiful guitar! There was a time I'd have jumped on this deal! Someone's going to get a sweet deal :-).

That must be acacia flooring in background. We have the same. Beautiful stuff. Wish they made more guitars out if it :-)

"Where the Spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci
Old 07-26-2014, 09:15 AM

Travis, thanks for your kind words. I know you loved this guitar too!

Pete, you are right - the hardwood flooring is Acacia!

By the way, I saw James Taylor at Blossom Music Center last night. Great show as always. It made me think how perfect this guitar is for playing JT music. It works very well in that style for sure!!

Here is an interesting video from Bob Taylor explaining about the grafting process with Black Walnut and English Walnut:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrkURFcnGDs

Someone is going to love this guitar!

Last edited by GSMC Bob; 07-26-2014 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Added YouTube link!
Old 07-27-2014, 06:49 PM

Second price drop to $1875 (previous posts have been edited to reflect the new price).

Old 07-28-2014, 08:54 AM

"Stormy Monday" morning here in Northeast Ohio bump!!

Old 07-28-2014, 10:24 AM

Default Played one

I was playing with a guy a few years back who had one of these, but with the ES.
It had more projection, more "cut" than my Rosewood/Cedar 714CE, which worked out well cuz he was definitely the better lead player.

Not blatantly different from mine, but enough to make it interesting... maybe a bit louder. They were very complimentary guitars.(as were we for that matter..that guy could pull a harmony out of the sky)

Just thought I would chime in on this cuz you just dont see them very often.
A very well mannered guitar with a great feel and tone, and not hard to look at.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbox View Post
I was playing with a guy a few years back who had one of these, but with the ES.
It had more projection, more "cut" than my Rosewood/Cedar 714CE, which worked out well cuz he was definitely the better lead player.

Not blatantly different from mine, but enough to make it interesting... maybe a bit louder. They were very complimentary guitars.(as were we for that matter..that guy could pull a harmony out of the sky)

Just thought I would chime in on this cuz you just dont see them very often.
A very well mannered guitar with a great feel and tone, and not hard to look at.
Thanks for your input -- sounds about right to me! By the way, the reason you don't see these very often is that there were only a few hundred made.

I'll sweeten the pot a little here by including a fresh set of D'Addario EXP16 Phosphor Bronze strings .012-.053 in the case, which sound great on this guitar!! (It's got fairly new Elixir PB Nanos on it now in that same gauge and they sound nice too - just a bit brighter than the EXP16's.)

Old 07-29-2014, 09:52 PM

What does grafted walnut mean?
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp

Last edited by rschultz; 07-29-2014 at 10:10 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschultz View Post
means its black walnut grafted onto English walnut. They do this to tress to try and get the best of both types of tree, or at least that's how i understand the process.

this video explains it.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschultz View Post
I posted this earlier in the thread, but bere's a video from Bob Taylor himself explaining about the grafting process with Black Walnut and English Walnut:

Good explanation with visuals!

Old 07-31-2014, 08:44 AM

I've had some members request a better view of the flaws in the guitar. The headstock finish issues are easy to see in the photo in the first post. I've been advised by another member that he had a Taylor with the same issue and it was repaired at an authorized service center for $75-$100. The other issues are very hard to get to show up in a photo. I've tried to capture the flaws of the guitar in the photos below. Please keep in mind that the extreme close up/zoom as well as the light play make them look worse than they appear in person!

The tiny ding on the top:

Not at as obvious from a more direct angle:

The subtle roughness/pitting of the finish on the back and sides (really hard to perceive, I know!):

The ding in the bottom side of the lower bout:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars