The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-26-2015, 02:46 PM

Default dumb question about guitars and strings

Do different guitars wear out strings at different rates even though they've been played the same amount? I got out my D28 and J45 custom over the last few days after a little hiatus, before the hiatus they had the strings put in at the same time and were played equally. J45 sounded terrible and out of tune, the D28 sounded great, put in new John Pearse Strings to the J45 and it sounded great again.

Just curious.
Old 09-26-2015, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

Haven't you read here that Gibsons, due to shoddy penny-pinching design decisions made back in the 70s when renegade coprporate pirates hijacked the company, result in their flagship guitars wasting new strings in a matter of days, instead of weeks on a Martin, or maybe months on a Taylor (with plastic elixirs). It affects the guitars so bad, that eventually the bad strings cause the neck to tweak to the point it requires a reset, and due to the same corporate politics from the 70s, are not covered even by an original owner warranty. Your only answer is to play the Martin and put the Gibson on the wall as art.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 09-26-2015, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

For the record that was not serious, and I haven't had one beer yet:-)

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 09-26-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralDreedle View Post
Do different guitars wear out strings at different rates even though they've been played the same amount? I got out my D28 and J45 custom over the last few days after a little hiatus, before the hiatus they had the strings put in at the same time and were played equally. J45 sounded terrible and out of tune, the D28 sounded great, put in new John Pearse Strings to the J45 and it sounded great again.

Just curious.
Humidity , body sweat -actual time playing -some guitars like certain strings better - maybe 80/20 over PB - you have to try different strings for each guitar -

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion