The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-28-2014, 10:12 AM

Default Garrison Guitar neck joint?

Hey Everyone. My Garrison acoustic needs a neck reset. I see a single bolt in the soundhole at the neck. Does anyone know if glue or epoxy would have been used in the neck joint? If it is epoxy, would that mean that a neck reset is not possible?

I sent an email to Gibson asking them (Gibson acquired Garrison back around 2007) ... not sure if they can help.

Thanks
Old 08-30-2014, 08:14 AM

I did some more Internet searching and I found a retailer in the US that had neck reset prices for "Bolt on neck w/ glued fingerboard (Tacoma, USA Breedlove, Garrison, etc) ". Sounds like I found my answer as to the neck joint of my Garrison.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:34 AM

It's an easy test to remove the bolt and gently flex on the neck to see if it is loose at the heel.
A neck reset is always possible, but some methods are messier than others.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
It's an easy test to remove the bolt and gently flex on the neck to see if it is loose at the heel.
A neck reset is always possible, but some methods are messier than others.
Thanks John. I read a lot of old threads here over the past week on this and you had some great posts.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:40 AM

I did hear from Gibson. They said they are researching and would get back to me. I'm happy that they sent me the email and are looking into it.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:31 PM

For some reason people think that if you use epoxy it's like Kryptonite permanent and will never come off. Not true. You can melt through epoxy with a hot knife and other heating tools if necessary. It's not by all means a good choice inho for a neck joint but you can still remove it.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:30 PM

Garrison has that carbon interior frame, right?
Old 09-04-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
For some reason people think that if you use epoxy it's like Kryptonite permanent and will never come off. Not true. You can melt through epoxy with a hot knife and other heating tools if necessary. It's not by all means a good choice inho for a neck joint but you can still remove it.
That sounds about right but I read that it's a major pain and takes more heat than glue does. I'd like to know going in beforehand what I'm up against.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnjp View Post
Garrison has that carbon interior frame, right?
Yep. I found an article on the Griffiths bracing system today. Based on what I read, I think there's the two bolts and no glue/epoxy. I'm going to remove the bolts on the week-end to see what happens. I'm expecting it to come off.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:30 PM

So will the neck reset just mean adding some shims? I have a Garrison/Gibson with a bolt-on neck, wondering if it's similar to yours.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSM View Post
So will the neck reset just mean adding some shims? I have a Garrison/Gibson with a bolt-on neck, wondering if it's similar to yours.
I don't know if it's a shim or if the neck needs to be sanded down slightly on a taper. I still need to do some reading.

BTW, I heard from Gibson again a couple of days ago. Great customer service. They reached out to me a few times. Jon stated that no glue was used in the neck joint for the Gibson Songmaker guitars made in the Garrison factory. He thinks that my Garrison would be the same. Do you have the Songmaker?
Old 09-14-2014, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
[snip] Do you have the Songmaker?
Yes sir! Love the dang thing too. Canadians know what they're doing when it comes to acoustics. All solid mahog and sitka, gloss top, ebony fretboad with MOP inlays (not plastic), etc. http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acou.../Features.aspx It's my only FULLY "real" guitar, with all "real" woods and accouterments, though nothing fancy. It's even fully bound front, back, neck, just not the headstock.

The ebony fretboard is as black as night, and you really can't even barely see any grain. It plays and sounds as good and great as any multi-thousand dollar guitar. It's the flagship in my arsenal, and it didn't cost much. Good to know a neck-reset will be easy and I'll be able to do it myself. It's got a lot of Taylor-qualities, with its bolt-on neck, and Tayloresque-shaped pickguard. The sound is actually very close to the Taylors, more so than most of the USA Gibsons I've touched. It's weird. It's a special anomaly. Love the thing. I'm not sure if it's more Gibson or Garrison, or just half of each, but there's magic built into it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair