The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-15-2014, 07:19 PM

Location: Darwin, Australia, 12.5 degrees south of the equator

I thought I recognised the title to this thread, it's been buried for a while. Yep it is finished SJ, I just have not got around to photos and a sound clip. I am very happy with the sound. It is even across and along the fretboard, good balance between bass, mids and highs, very happy with it for a 13" lower bout but I will leave any further description to a recording and post that when I get around to it.

Jim
Old 09-26-2014, 09:07 PM

So I had a mic plugged in to test my next guitar and finally got around to recording a demo for this guitar. I am trying to arrange my own version of "Autumn Leaves" and am getting there but still need more polish, still I thought it was good enough for a demo so you can get the idea of the sound, no effects used just straight guitar and a cheap mic into Audacity.

I discovered that I had made a bit of a stuff up while building this one, I got my notes confused and used a wrong back thickness (a bit thicker than my calculated thickness). Didn't discover what I had done till I was tuning the back after putting a finish on. I though it was a bit strange that I had to thin my main back brace so much so checked my note and discovered my error, still the back works but is a little heavier than I could have made it and am sure this pulls a little power out.

A few pics too.

Jim
Old 09-28-2014, 10:52 AM

It sounds really fine, Jim, as far as I can tell on my computer. Good strongly focused bass with no boxiness, evenness across the spectrum. Very musical - and lovely playing too. I like the aesthetics too, except for the lack of a heel. It's a great innovation, but it shocks the traditionalist in me.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:31 PM

Cheers SJ, I do get that about the heel or lack of and I too do like the look of a well shaped heel though so it took me a while to get used to it as well. As I am not a cutaway fan it gives me a bit more reach and also works well for the tilt neck I use.

Jim

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair