The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-14-2014, 12:44 PM

Unhappy Taylor ES system died today...

I have an '06 GS8 with the AA battery ES system. Never had a problem with it, ever, until I plugged in at church today and...dead.

Just a loud hum that quiets down some when I touch the shield of my cable. From prior investigations, it sounds like one or more pickups died (or the wires to them broke, etc.)

Inspection revealed no obvious broken wires or unplugged chassis plugs. Put in new batteries. It was all working fine Friday afternoon.

I really don't want to send this all the way to Taylor (I live in Florida) for a month or two while they get to it. I need my guitar!

But I don't want to give it to any "authorized Taylor repair shops" so they can "take a look at it".

Does anyone know of any Taylor repair shops who know their stuff when it comes to electronics, in the Tampa/Orlando/Sarasota areas? I really don't want to pay someone to tell me it's broke - I know that.

It would be great if someone could swap out parts from Taylor, rather than me send the guitar to California. But if I have to...

I'll call Taylor Monday afternoon and see if it's under warranty and what they'll do. If it's gonna cost me a fortune, I'll just buy a third party system and install it.

Taylor GS8
Godin A6 Ultra
Old 09-15-2014, 05:37 AM

Sounds like it may be the fuse.

A word on Taylor authorized repairs. Taylor does not certify a shop, only technicians. If a shop says they are Taylor authorized it means they have a certified tech on staff. Unfortunately IME that doesn't always mean they will be the one working on the instrument..... You should be able to find an independent Luthier such as myself who is Taylor certifed in your area, that may be preferable for you rather than an actual music store.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:40 AM

Did you say you changed the batteries and it was fine again?
Old 09-15-2014, 02:58 PM

HHP: Nope, just that I also checked the batteries.

Regarding authorized techs: Yep, I've already had a repairman from an "authorized" repair shop slaughter a job on my Taylor, which I then did myself, so I know what you mean.

And no slam to Taylor, they can't possibly evaluate everyone in the US.

I called Taylor, and to their credit, they would have repaired the system under warranty, if I could find a good repairman in my area (there isn't one) or send it to them (takes too long and I'm concerned about shipping safely).

What I decided was to take the opportunity to change out the system. I'll be putting in a Fishman Aura Ellipse. What kept me from doing this long ago was the output jack, but these guys http://www.butchsguitarrepair.com/Bu...uPlug_USA.html make retrofit hardware. Voila!

I could have upgraded to the newer 9V system (which of course would have also fixed my defect at the same time), but the cost was basically the same, so...Fishman it is!

Taylor GS8
Godin A6 Ultra
Old 09-16-2014, 06:13 AM

Glad you got it sorted out.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:16 PM

This is slightly OT, but it's my thread!

I have to say...this Fishman Ellipse system has got to be the nicest pickup system I've ever used/heard. I'm amazed!

I haven't even finished investigating all the images available for download, but just using the UST sounded great (nothing like I remember piezos sounding like), and adding in the initial images I chose...it's all wonderful. And I ran my guitar channel eq flat. Didn't need anything!

Man...

Taylor GS8
Godin A6 Ultra
Old 09-22-2014, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Howard View Post
Sounds like it may be the fuse.

A word on Taylor authorized repairs. Taylor does not certify a shop, only technicians. If a shop says they are Taylor authorized it means they have a certified tech on staff. Unfortunately IME that doesn't always mean they will be the one working on the instrument..... You should be able to find an independent Luthier such as myself who is Taylor certifed in your area, that may be preferable for you rather than an actual music store.
My experience, even all the way here in South Africa, is that the guys who work from guitar stores are usually way less capable and knowledgeable than the few luthier/techs who work privately from their own workshops...
Old 09-24-2014, 08:25 AM

I know this doesn't help you - not that you even need help anymore (and I agree - that Fishman system is amazing) but we have a local luthier that does all the repairs on Taylors in my town and he does amazing work.

I had one crap out on me and he got a new system from Taylor (under warranty for free) and also leveled my frets and adjusted my neck. Didn't cost me a thing and he only had it for one week.

Now that 12-string really sings again.

The moral of the story is a good luthier who is comfortable with electronics is worth all the tea in China!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair