The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-15-2015, 08:52 AM

Default D-28 vs J-45 after 2 weeks

I bought my Martin 3 months ago, and have now been also playing my new Gibson for a fortnight. I offer these observations as a relatively new acoustic player, after 20+ years of electrics.

Clearly, after only a fortnight the Gibson and I are still on honeymoon, but I think I've spent enough time playing it now to have got a handle on its mojo and to understand how the two guitars differ.

They are so different. After 3 months with the Martin, the J-45 initially seemed odd by comparison. I perceived the sound to be sparser and the action to be harder. I took the Gibson to a luthier, and it came back lower and easier to play, but it had lost a huge amount of tone, so I asked him to put it back. Now, after some diligent practice and playing the higher action, I've developed more finger strength and dexterity and the Gibson now feels as playable as the Martin. In fact, I think I now prefer the higher action, and wish I had not had the Martin set as low as I did when I bought it.

To me, the Martin sounds simultaneously deep, resonant and sugary. I read someone describing it as "crystalline" and I think that's close, but there's also a richness to the edge of the sound. The trebles are equally prominent and shimmering. I think it sounds utterly fantastic. The action is fast and precise. I love the way I can get totally different sounds from strumming gently or hitting it hard.

The construction is faultless and I think it's a work of art. It radiates quality, and I can see it in people's eyes and demeanour when I show it to them, most of whom don't play guitar. I love it.

The Gibson is also beautifully made, and is a noticeably better example than another J-45 I once owned for 24 hours. The sunburst is dark and alluring, the finish is thick and luxurious and the inlaid logo on the headstock looks awesome sitting atop all that chrome. It both looks and feels completely American, in a way the Martin does not. I think the Martin feels German.

Having got used to the higher action, I now prefer it to the lower feel of the Martin and especially so for fingerstyle, which is new to me and my main pursuit now. The sound is dry and woody and chimey to these ears, and very addictive. There's a snarl to the sound.

I'm sounding pretty pretentious even thus far and am trying to rein it in, but the Gibson has an intangible quality that makes you play with a certain exuberance, and I can feel my playing improve all the time. It makes you grin.

The bottom line is these are both completely fantastic instruments and I feel very, very lucky to own them both. Being able to choose between the two and their very varied qualities is a joy. If I could only save one from the fire, it would be very hard. I think at the moment it would be the Martin.

Or the Gibson.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:07 AM

love it! thanks for taking time to post the comparison . . .

another member of AGF who lives near me came over last evening for some guitar and wine, lots of each as it turned out.

he brought his J-45 RW and and his new HD-28. initially, we thought that his J and my J-45 (mahog) were pretty similar, sonically, but our impressions changed over the course of the evening . . . the RW J sounds like RW should and the M J is pretty much classic mahog.

the HD was awesome, too. it is so nice to have choice and variety!

i used to believe i'm a martin guy at heart but no mas. i seem to have become a free agent.

Last edited by eljay; 11-15-2015 at 09:19 AM. Reason: failing mind
Old 11-15-2015, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay View Post
love it! thanks for taking time to post the comparison . . .

another member of AGF who lives near me came over last evening for some guitar and wine, lots of each as it turned out.

he brought his J-45 RW and and his new HD-28. initially, we thought that his J and my J-45 (mahog) were pretty similar, sonically, but our impressions changed over the course of the evening . . . the RW J sounds like RW should and the M J is pretty much classic mahog.

the HD was awesome, too. it is so nice to have choice and variety!

i used to believe i'm a martin guitar at heart but no mas. i seem to have become a free agent.
So which was your personal favorite of the evening?
Old 11-15-2015, 09:13 AM

Another item that is of importance, the scale length on the two guitars are different. The Gibson is a short scale guitar, the D-28 is not. This, to me and a lot of others accounts for the different feel.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:14 AM

And what makes you think the Martin looks German, thats a first ?

But good and interesting observations, they are both vey, very different guitars but can complement each other well.

Different voicing, different woods both sound good, personally I find the J-45 much more versatile than the D-28 which I find relatively single dimensional.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 11-15-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYHIGH View Post
So which was your personal favorite of the evening?
thanks for asking! probably, by a nose, my 00-14, followed immediately by my J-45. ricks's RW 45 is a gem, too.

very hard to choose a #1, which is a great place to be!
Old 11-15-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbyPrague View Post

But good and interesting observations, they are both vey, very different guitars but can complement each other well.

Different voicing, different woods both sound good, personally I find the J-45 much more versatile than the D-28 which I find relatively single dimensional.
Hi

I never said it looked German. It feels German. Something about its functional elegance, impeccable construction and austere presence makes me think German. The Gibson feels as American to me as a Ford pickup, but I'm a Brit so my perception is external.

I tend to agree that the Gibson feels like it may be the more versatile. The Martin, for its part, doesn't give a flying **** what I or anyone thinks.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:35 AM

This is not Gibson bashing at all but I wish I could find a standard J-45 that blew me away. I find that Gibson guitars, especially the J-45, are such a treat to play. I am not sure how to explain it but the strings always feel looser and it takes almost no effort to strum or finger pick them. The downside is, I haven't found a standard Gibson acoustic that I would consider buying. I feel like with a proper set up and new strings, they could get close to what I want but I keep trying them and keep getting disappointed. I am glad that you found a winner!

I do love the Gibson tone and I have played a few custom shop models that were heavenly. I was so close to purchasing a used but mint condition AJ and still kick myself over walking away from it.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:45 AM

CaineIsCarter: Sounds like you found a couple of Smile Machines. Its a blast to have both of these iconic guitar makers on your rack.
Gibson J-50 (K&K Pure Mini)
Martin D-35 (Trance Audio M)
Gibson J-35 Vintage (Trance Audio M)
Martin 1937 D-28 Authentic "Aged"
Old 11-15-2015, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

I couldn't think of two better guitars to have than those two. Well unless you threw in a Pro Tak.

I find my Tak has many of the same tonal properties as my HD28 does, although it doesn't have that masculine boldness of the HD28. I've only had my HD28 for a little over 24 hours but that's what I'm hearing thus far.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:04 AM

Awesome.

My Collings & Texan are very, very different.

... and that is precisely the way I like it!
Old 11-15-2015, 10:07 AM

Get thee behind me Satan !

As a happy Martin (rosewood), and Taylor (sapele) owner, I had successfully put the "dark side" out of my gaseous mind for a long time.

Now you've got me trawlin' the 'bay again !
Old 11-15-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaineIsCarter View Post
I took the Gibson to a luthier, and it came back lower and easier to play, but it had lost a huge amount of tone, so I asked him to put it back. Now, after some diligent practice and playing the higher action, I've developed more finger strength and dexterity and the Gibson now feels as playable as the Martin. In fact, I think I now prefer the higher action, and wish I had not had the Martin set as low as I did when I bought it.
Shortly after purchasing my OM, I had my tech lower the action just a bit and to me, it's fantastic that way. On the other hand, my main tech who was on vacation when I had the work done, felt it was too low and played like an electric. I respect his opinion, but I disagree.

When I purchased my HD-28, I felt that the action might be able to come down a little bit but I decided to live with it for a while. Almost a year and a half later, I've kept it as it was and prefer it as it is. I think my playing style varies when I'm playing each guitar and a slightly different action on each works for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaineIsCarter View Post
The bottom line is these are both completely fantastic instruments and I feel very, very lucky to own them both. Being able to choose between the two and their very varied qualities is a joy.
That certainly is a joy. Congrats.

In my situation, although both guitars are rosewood bodied Martins, I like the OM for fingerpicking and the HD really complements my flatpicking style.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 11-15-2015, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

Two great guitars-

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbyPrague View Post
Well- C.F. Martin was from Germany- so maybe not "a first"

Have fun!!

madhat.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Get thee behind me Satan !

As a happy Martin (rosewood), and Taylor (sapele) owner, I had successfully put the "dark side" out of my gaseous mind for a long time.

Now you've got me trawlin' the 'bay again !
Resistance is futile

I played the Martin for over 3 hours last night, mainly Pink Floyd, and my perception may have been enhanced courtesy of the wine I was enjoying, but I marvelled at the clarity and complexity of the tone.

I've played the Gibson for most of today, and I swear it fosters a looseness in my playing that makes some songs sound better than I've ever played them. Paranoid Android is a tough acoustic track to play properly, but I've played it over and over today and am frankly agog at how good it sounds on the J-45. No wine either!

As a new fingerstyle player, I've been working on the intro to Forever in Blue Jeans, and I prefer playing it on the Gibson. The action feels livelier and if it were a car, you might describe the handling as chuckable.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion