The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-05-2024, 06:27 AM

Toy Caldwell of Marshall Tucker.
Old 02-05-2024, 07:03 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Toy Caldwell of Marshall Tucker.
Thumb-picker.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-05-2024, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
. . . There are very few players who I've seen who play fluently without using a pick, and I'm aware that it very much keys into the style of music being played. . . .
If you say so. Maybe. But —

Not saying I'm a great player, but I hate flatpicks. Hard to aim, easy to drop. So I play bare when I'm by myself and use fingerpicks when I'm playing with others and sometimes when I'm playing solo for an audience.

Lots more control. You don't have to aim your fingers. They're already either right there or only a string away. Faster, more accurate, and you can put more expression into it.

I've tried palming and hybrid picking a few times, but it's too much to think about. I'd rather just turn of my brain and play.

Can't think of a style it's not good for. I play acoustic and electric guitar — blues, folk, country/western, R&B, garage rock. Spent more than three years in an African soukous band (think Diblo Dibala or Kanda Bongo Man) and played with a Ghanan for a while.

Below is me demonstrating several faces of electric fingerpicking:

- Clean electric on "Staggerlee," "Delta-bound," "Cora, Cora," and "This Is the Road."
- Overdriven electric on "Sorry For Me."
- Electric country blues on "Bide a Wee Inn" and "Ain't She a Caution."
- Electric slide on "Sterno Sunrise" and "Raining All Aound the World."

Scroll down to find the tunes here: www.thefullertons.net/dreadnot

And of course, you can't do Travis picking, Delta, or classical with a flatpick. Can't think of any style fingerpicking isn't good for.

Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 02-06-2024 at 10:18 AM.
Old 02-05-2024, 09:27 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Most of this was done bare-handed:

The Smile in Her Eyes

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

Last edited by Bob Womack; 02-05-2024 at 09:37 AM.
Old 02-05-2024, 10:24 AM

There's a young guy named Jared James Nichols that tears it up with his thumb and fingers. Check him out on YouTube. He has no trouble with speed, tone or expression.
Old 02-05-2024, 02:26 PM

I rarely use a pick playing electric leads, and I also play most rhythm without a pick. I use a pick a lot in my acoustic gigs though because the heavier strings break my nails on my right hand.

I use a lot of open strings against the the bass notes in my electric rhythm playing for a fat sound, and I can't do that the same way with a pick.

I am using my fingers on both tracks here...

Last edited by rockabilly69; 02-05-2024 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-06-2024, 10:19 AM

And here's a nice example: Canned Heat
Old 02-06-2024, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I rarely use a pick playing electric leads, and I also play most rhythm without a pick. I use a pick a lot in my acoustic gigs though because the heavier strings break my nails on my right hand. . . .
My solution: Short nails (as in post 22). I have a clipper in my gig bag so I'm never without one.

And voila! No broken nails!
Old 02-06-2024, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

I've played electric with fingers for many years. I found it allows for a level of expression you can't get with a pick (though I do use a pick sometimes). I played that way for 20 years before owning an acoustic.
Old 02-06-2024, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
My solution: Short nails (as in post 22). I have a clipper in my gig bag so I'm never without one.

I break them no matter how short they are. So no voila for me If they get too bad (bruises under the remaining nail), I switch to only using the flesh side of my fingers until all healed. I do about 250 gigs a year so you can imagine I've learned the work arounds.
Old 02-06-2024, 07:05 PM

Quote:

I break them no matter how short they are. So no voila for me If they get too bad (bruises under the remaining nail), I switch to only using the flesh side of my fingers until all healed. I do about 200 gigs a year so you can imagine I've learned the work arounds.
Old 02-07-2024, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Do it all the time. With the highs rolled off its great for Jazz and Standards .
Old 02-07-2024, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Check out a young player named Matteo Mancuso - he's all over the 'net. Plays incredibly fast without a pick; in one little "interview" clip with Rick Beato (and someone else), they have Matteo play with a flatpick, and then without... his comments on the two styles are quite interesting.

He is a wonderful player in a lot of various styles, not just for speed, but his phrasing and tone is a treat to hear!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 02-08-2024, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I break them no matter how short they are. So no voila for me If they get too bad (bruises under the remaining nail), I switch to only using the flesh side of my fingers until all healed. I do about 250 gigs a year so you can imagine I've learned the work arounds.
Yeah, I only use the flesh, never the nails. When they get long enough to interfere, I cut 'em back.

But I have a friend who plays with his nails. He gets them treated with some acrylic coating so they don't break. Sounds crazy to me, but he's a terrific player, so.
Old 02-09-2024, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I only use the flesh, never the nails. When they get long enough to interfere, I cut 'em back.

But I have a friend who plays with his nails. He gets them treated with some acrylic coating so they don't break. Sounds crazy to me, but he's a terrific player, so.
Some of my buddies who play clawhammer banjo have acrylic nails put on the right hand index and middle fingers at the local nail salon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars