The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-29-2024, 10:04 AM

Default Gigging amp for electric/acoustic hybrid guitar?

I have a Godin Multiac Steel (which I adore), but there are also the Fender Acoustisonic and Taylor T5 hybrid electric/acoustic guitars. If you like these guitars (not everyone does) and like the convenience of doing both electric and acoustic guitar parts with one guitar and one amp, which is the best choice for that one amp?

The new Positive Grid Live is an obvious option, but what are the other choices?
Old 01-29-2024, 10:29 AM

For that kind of thing I'd get powered PA speakers and modelers.
Old 01-29-2024, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

If you have the scratch…

https://www.rivera.com/product/combos/sedona-55/
Old 01-29-2024, 11:23 AM

I'm in a minority here, but not a minority of one. So I'll chime in. If nothing else, at least it'll give you something to easily reject:

I'm a fairly low-tech guy. To me, acoustic guitars, electric guitars, and hybrids all sound great through electric guitar tube amps. Any of Fender's Hot Rod series would do it for me.
Old 01-29-2024, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
...I'm a fairly low-tech guy. To me, acoustic guitars, electric guitars, and hybrids all sound great through electric guitar tube amps. Any of Fender's Hot Rod series would do it for me.
When Charlie Kaman developed what were arguably the first viable "acoustic" acoustic-electrics in the mid-1960's, it was with the expectation that they would be used with the typical professional/semi-pro level amplification of the day - meaning a mid- to high-powered American-voiced tube combo (think blonde/blackface Fender or Blue-check Ampeg) - and IME they still sound their best through an amp of that type (or its latter-day analog SS equivalent - pre-1985 Randall RG/RB, 1970's/80's Peavey, 2K's Fender Frontman 212R, et al.)...

What Charlie - and Charlie - said...
Old 01-29-2024, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
I'm in a minority here, but not a minority of one. So I'll chime in. If nothing else, at least it'll give you something to easily reject:

I'm a fairly low-tech guy. To me, acoustic guitars, electric guitars, and hybrids all sound great through electric guitar tube amps. Any of Fender's Hot Rod series would do it for me.
I happened to watch this video today:

Old 01-29-2024, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I have a Godin Multiac Steel (which I adore), but there are also the Fender Acoustisonic and Taylor T5 hybrid electric/acoustic guitars. If you like these guitars (not everyone does) and like the convenience of doing both electric and acoustic guitar parts with one guitar and one amp, which is the best choice for that one amp?

The new Positive Grid Live is an obvious option, but what are the other choices?
There's the Blackstar Acoustic Core 30 that you might look at. I have no personal experience, but it's inexpensive and has good specifications if you're looking for a personal amp.

I have, and love, a Cube EX. I use it at home and also as a small PA at gigs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars