The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 06-06-2009, 11:24 PM

Default Winwood's Acoustic Tele?

PBS' GREAT Great Performance show of Clapton and Winwood's Madison Square Garden concert - recommend highly...

Near the end, on Can't Find My Way Home - Steve played a black acoustic Tele - sounded great, but I can't identify that exact guitar - help anyone? The acoustic Tele's I've found are different, with a non-round but oval soundhole, where his had no soundhole at all, no external pickups... Very cool guitar...

Also interesting, they were playing the song in "C", but he was fingering in "D" it looked to me, and with a Drop-D I think, which would make the 6th string a low "C" - interesting tuning. When I've tried dropping a full step like that, it does not sound good...

Any observations?

Thanks, Mike
Old 06-07-2009, 07:02 AM

Got a link?

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 06-07-2009, 11:46 AM

Nope - sorry Bob...
Old 06-07-2009, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

Haven't seen what you are talking about. But there are some hollow body f hole tele's made. They are hollow light weight telecasters. But totally electric guitars. No real acoustic quality (like and ES 335).

Don't know if that's what you're talking about.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:21 AM

Hi Marshall - I almost bought one of the Thinline models once - they are very cool, but as you say - very electric. Another custom job I saw at a guitar show was a solid body Tele, but the back was carved out like a Strat - very comfortable feel. I dig those Thinlines.

I'd never seen on exactly like this one. It's hollow body, but no soundhole of f-holes at all, and no visible pickups, no pickguard, all black and double bound. It had an acoustic sound, must be undersaddle, sounded a little nylon-string like the record, but not completely. Tuned down a full step, with a Drop-D (actually dropped to "C"), so it was interesting in all ways.

Thanks for the reply, Mike
Old 06-08-2009, 01:09 PM

Maybe one of the Godins? Did it have controls on the top?
Old 06-08-2009, 03:56 PM

I saw him use the guitar on Eric Clapton's Crossroads dvd. It almost looks like a Godin Acousticaster but has the Fender headstock and logo. I don't remember if it had visible controls but it had an acoustic bridge. I thought it was a custom made.
Christian
Old 06-08-2009, 04:22 PM

Fender made some in Japan. I've seen a few for sale that purported to be from the CA custom shop. Not like Winwood couldn't afford one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell