The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-20-2014, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randmo View Post
I'm think I am ready to pull the trigger, just got to find the "one". I'm thinking Martin D-28 or D-18, which I can get from one of the AGF sponsors in that range.

Which guitar would you buy in that price range? A different brand / model?
I am not as up on used guitar prices like I used to be, but I think you might be in the range of a good used D41/42. I have been playing Martins (and Taylors and Gibsons as well) for 12 years, and that is what has been my keeper.

IMO that or a used HD-28V would both represent a much better value than a new D-28 plus sales tax.

'79 Yamaha CJ-838S, '03 Martin D-41, '03 Taylor 600 SPEC, '99 Taylor 714, '08 Gibson J45R, '01 G & L Legacy
Old 12-20-2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodi_55 View Post
Respectfully Dave, that isn't much. He mentions Martins then asks about other brands as well.

How much do you know about his playing?

My point here is that we all chime in based on really no info other than a vague desire for a certain brand.

We probably shouldn't even make suggestions until we know extract a bit more info from the OP. That's all
No offense intended, but if someone has an idea that they want a Martin, I am not going to steer them to a lesser guitar.

And regardless of what the person wants to play, if he can't play it and sound very good in the process on an HD-28V, it is user error & can be corrected.

I don't see anything wrong with taking his initial inkling, running with it & steering him to (IMO, which is all he asked for) the best guitar.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovidproject View Post
I recently played a 1960's Martin in a vintage shop and yes it sounded lovely but the honest truth my Yamaha FG 170 sounds better.
Itold the guy inthe shop and he laughed but since Ihad itwith me I lethim play it.Hisjaw dropped.
Just check it out there's nothing sweeter and it spanks some guitars worth over 2,500 and which are living off their old name when they were better.
New Taylors Martins have no soul.
Good luck whatever you decide.
While you might like your Yamaha better, to say new Martins have no soul is utter nonsense. Besides, soul isn't in the guitar, it's in the player.

Last edited by CSG; 12-20-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

Obvious Taylor fan aside, a do like some Martins, but the new 416 with the gloss finish instead of satin was to me the nicest overall sub 3k guitar I've played in a long long time.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG View Post
While you might like your Yamaha better, to say new Martins have no soul is utter nonsense. Besides, soul isn't in the guitar, it's in the player.
The point is a guitar that costs 2,500 willproably not sound or play as good as my Yammie so newbies should bear in mind they'll get more back for their buck with a good secondhand Yammie whose tone can kill dead a vintage Martin which cost £6000.The bloke in Denmark Street could not argue after he played the Yammie.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:08 PM

Assuming from the OP mentioning an interest in D18s and D28s that he's looking for a dred with a Martin type tone, I'd say it depends on if he wants to buy new or used. New, Martin has the manufacturing techniques and buying power that comes with being a large company and allows them to offer the best bang for the buck in this range. Used, you're getting into the range where the Huss and Dalton/Collings/Santa Cruz/Bourgeois/etc offers more, due largely to Martins good resale value. Either way, $2500 is enough to buy a very good guitar, and it could be a lifetime purchase, so I'd definaltey shop around and play a bunch.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovidproject View Post
The point is a guitar that costs 2,500 willproably not sound or play as good as my Yammie so newbies should bear in mind they'll get more back for their buck with a good secondhand Yammie whose tone can kill dead a vintage Martin which cost £6000.The bloke in Denmark Street could not argue after he played the Yammie.
That is such a gross generalization and so patently not the norm as to be laughable... Regardless of your exceptional Yamaha, as I'm sure it is...

By the way, when I went to the soundcloud link you've provided in a couple postings, there is nothing remotely like a Yamaha acoustic playing... just some techno-crap.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYDeadhead View Post
Assuming from the OP mentioning an interest in D18s and D28s that he's looking for a dred with a Martin type tone, I'd say it depends on if he wants to buy new or used. New, Martin has the manufacturing techniques and buying power that comes with being a large company and allows them to offer the best bang for the buck in this range. Used, you're getting into the range where the Huss and Dalton/Collings/Santa Cruz/Bourgeois/etc offers more, due largely to Martins good resale value. Either way, $2500 is enough to buy a very good guitar, and it could be a lifetime purchase, so I'd definaltey shop around and play a bunch.
This is a nice response...in several senses of the word "nice". The assumptions that KYDeadhead is making seem pretty sound...and OP can give us feedback if his mention of Martin dreads was less meaningful than it appears.

If OP is not committed to a Martin/fairly traditional tone, I might recommend that he try a used Webber....they tend to have a brighter, more modern voice than Martins, but they are great guitars that are wonderfully playable, and a great value if you happen to like the tone profile.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYDeadhead View Post
I am looking for the Martin tone, my Gibson J-15 is bright enough for me. In fact I ordered a bone saddle and pins to hopefully tone down the treble a little.

Anyway I went to GC yesterday and played several Martins and Taylors, I'm really fond of the Martin tone. I really fell for the HD-28, I played some $1100-$1600 Martins, they were nice but the HD stood out to me. They didn't have any D-18s.

I'm afraid to buy used, I've only been playing for 9 months and with so many counterfeits I don't have the confidence to buy one. I don't have any friends or family that play, all I have is you guys.
Yamaha FG700S

I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cowbell
Old 12-21-2014, 07:23 AM

A furch d31.... Blows it all away!!!!!!
Old 12-21-2014, 08:23 AM

What would I do...that's what the OP asked.......

Check out the following used:

D-18GE
HD-28V
000-18GE
OM-28V

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 12-21-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
I am looking for the Martin tone, my Gibson J-15 is bright enough for me. In fact I ordered a bone saddle and pins to hopefully tone down the treble a little.

Anyway I went to GC yesterday and played several Martins and Taylors, I'm really fond of the Martin tone. I really fell for the HD-28, I played some $1100-$1600 Martins, they were nice but the HD stood out to me. They didn't have any D-18s.

I'm afraid to buy used, I've only been playing for 9 months and with so many counterfeits I don't have the confidence to buy one. I don't have any friends or family that play, all I have is you guys.
I wouldn't worry too much about counterfeits. Buy from a reputable dealer or from an AGF member and you will get the real deal.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 12-21-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
That is such a gross generalization and so patently not the norm as to be laughable... Regardless of your exceptional Yamaha, as I'm sure it is...
Not worth trying, Dave. Logic is useless when entering into an "I own the greatest guitar ever made!" debate. Clearly, ovidproject owns the best acoustic on the planet and all we can do is strive to come close to the lofty tonal perfection of that marvel. Its laminated "spruce" top has a tap tone that Somogyi or Traugott would kill for.

(By the way, Dave, there is another FG-170 on Craigslist right now for $90 if you too dare to own the truly bestest acoustic ever....walk away from those lumpy Martins and experience tonal nirvana. My first guitar in 1975 was a lammie yammie and its been all downhill ever since)

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 12-21-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
Not worth trying, Dave. Logic is useless when entering into an "I own the greatest guitar ever made!" debate. Clearly, ovidproject owns the best acoustic on the planet and all we can do is strive to come close to the lofty tonal perfection of that marvel. Its laminated "spruce" top has a tap tone that Somogyi or Traugott would kill for.

(By the way, Dave, there is another FG-170 on Craigslist right now for $90 if you too dare to own the truly bestest acoustic ever....walk away from those lumpy Martins and experience tonal nirvana. My first guitar in 1975 was a lammie yammie and its been all downhill ever since)
He & Antares can form a Yammie FG175 appreciation club. Coincidently, he is also from Bristol and also has a 175 that blows away the staff in the high end music stores. ( although I'm a bit confused, as the great guitar seems to be a 170 at times and a 175 at times - or maybe he has both... not sure.)

Personally, I preferred the red label FG180's. I had a couple of those at different times in the '70s and '80s, when I couldn't afford to have a second D-28 as a backup guitar. Then I bought another one somewhere along the way for my baby brother, when he took up guitar. Cool old guitars, but not what I'd be telling someone to buy who wants a Martin and can afford an HD-28 or HD-28V, for sure.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
I'm think I am ready to pull the trigger, just got to find the "one". I'm thinking Martin D-28 or D-18, which I can get from one of the AGF sponsors in that range.

Which guitar would you buy in that price range? A different brand / model?
A used one...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion