The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-10-2015, 11:15 AM

Default Stripping

A solid body electric guitar. I have seen numerous videos in regards to stripping the finish of a guitar - paint stripper, sanding, heat gun etc.

My questions is:

Could you place said body on a tray in an oven( not momma's good oven) and bake it - then work on removing the finish?

Or am I overlooking something?

Thanks
dagobert
Old 04-10-2015, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

I wouldn't. Chances are very good your body is at least two pieces and you'd run the risk of it falling apart.

>Zip Strip<
Old 04-10-2015, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Why do you want to strip it?

If you intend to remove the paint and go with a natural woodgrain look - do oyu know if that wood is one piece and has a good grain and not some ugly wood?

If you are just fixing it and repainting, you don't need to strip it all the way off.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 04-10-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagobert View Post

Or am I overlooking something?
You mean like the wood warping or splitting and any glue joints failing?
Old 04-10-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Why do you want to strip it?

If you intend to remove the paint and go with a natural woodgrain look - do oyu know if that wood is one piece and has a good grain and not some ugly wood?

If you are just fixing it and repainting, you don't need to strip it all the way off.
The plan is to give the naked body to my niece and nephew (5 & 2) and let them paint it up how they want. I want them to decide on everything which is why I want to take it down to the wood and start with a blank canvas.

They love music and love it even more when I play guitar for them so this is a project we are going to do together and then I have the ultimate momento.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
You mean like the wood warping or splitting and any glue joints failing?
This is why I ask.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:25 PM

There is a product out there called Aircraft Remover.

It's evil.

But it will strip anything.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:08 PM

If its a telecaster or strat body, just get an unfinished one. A firend of mine makes these here in oHIo. search for ohlar on that popular auction site.

Its NOT a good idea to bake a body.

Paint stripper is your best bet. Some brands are better than others. If the body you are stripping is a solid color be prepared for it to look UGLY with no paint.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:33 PM

Rather than stripping the body, consider preparing the finished body to receive the new paint job on top of what's already there.

If you think of the current finish as a substrate rather than something in the way, you could scuff sand it thoroughly and give it a nice wiped on coating of high grade shellac*. That stuff will stick really well to any sanded finish, and it will act as a good base for any paint you want to use over it.

* NOT "hardware-store-in-the-can shellac," but the stuff you make up from flake shellac dissolved in alcohol (ethanol, methanol or denatured - NOT isopropyl rubbing alcohol). I contend there's only one product you can buy at paint stores that works well, and that's Zinsser Seal Coat. Watch out - Zinsser also makes really crappy shellac with tons of impurities, wax and other solvents in it, and sells it under different names besides Seal Coat.

OK, well, maybe you CAN get lucky with some prepared shellac as a base coat, but I wouldn't bet on it. . .

Frank Ford
Old 04-11-2015, 06:59 PM

Thanks y'all.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair