The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-14-2015, 01:23 PM

Default New D28 Lacking Bass & Volume Low E String

Hello,

Let me apologize in advance for such a long post (especially since its my first ) So I purchased a new (2014) D28 about 1 month ago. When playing in the shop I did, somewhat, notice the issue. Lack of bass and volume on low E string. I assumed that with string change it would remedy. Mids and Treble sounded great with good sustain. When I got it home I changed strings immediately (Martin PB mediums, same as I use on my 2000 D15). Issue was still there. Also was getting a little buzz on low E (open and fretting first position). Brought back to shop and luthier agreed that it needed a bit more relief. I mentioned volume and bass issue with low E. He somewhat shrugged it off and mentioned it should be better now that the string can vibrate more. Buzzing fixed lack o volume and bass still there. I tried diff brand/type strings, all mediums (Martin LifeSpan PB, John Pearse PB, John Pearse 80/20). I swapped the bridge pins to bone, then horn and finally ebony. Ebony sounded smoother compared to all. Did not fix issue. I was pretty bummed. Especially since almost every other post I read about D28's is that they are "cannons" and sometimes "too bassy". I know that if the bottom of the saddle is not completely flat then this can cause my issue. I pulled the saddle, verified it is flat. Low and behold I notice a tiny dimple in the bridge, very close to the low E string (Pic attached)! I thought Aha problem solved. But... after reading up I see this is very common and that Martin does this as a marker for installing under saddle pickups and that it should not cause an issue. Regardless, I don't believe Martin warranty would do anything about it.
So after all that, I guess I am wondering what you guy's think? I mean if it really does cause an issue wouldn't many people be complaining about this (at least more than the 1 or 2 I found throughout the interwebs). I have a D15 (2002) that has way more Bass and Volume than this D28. I thought about the fact that the D28 has not "opened up" yet but I also realize that "opening up" does not change the sound of a guitar drastically (bad guitar -> maybe less bad after 10 years etc). I have even tried putting a home-made tone-rite on it :-) Granted I only let it sit on there for about 12 hours total. Not close to the recommended >72 hours. Anyway my plan, for now, is to wait a few months playing the hell out of it. If it still doesn't do it for me I will sell and check out some HD-28's and diff D28's (if i can find them). My initial reason for choosing the D28 was to balance out the dark sounding d15 (for recording purposes). Honestly If I could have the d15's bass and volume with the mids and treble of the D28 I would be in heaven. I know... D18 right.. Have not had a chance to try. Still want some rosewood in my stable :-) Well if you made it this far Thanks,
Scott

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-14-2015, 01:46 PM

With the D28 being straight braced, I would expect the tone you describe. I believe it will improve over time, but as you mentioned, a guitar that does not sound that great now might not sound great in 10 years!

The item you circled at the base of the saddle slot is an area where a wire would go through the bridge, if the guitar was equipped with an undersaddle pickup.

Give it some time. The straight-braced Martins need some playing in.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:57 PM

Did you have other similar model martins to play and compare at time of purchase??

What is the purchase/return policy?? If you REALLY aren't pleased with it, it would be nice if you could bring it back, no??

The hole in the saddle slot should be inconsequential.

A new saddle MAY (but not guaranteed) help. Is the present saddle bone, or tusq??

It is tough to comment exactly on tonal issues via internet, since all of our ears are tuned so differently with different expectations and desires for a tone pleasing to ourselves.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 04-14-2015, 02:46 PM
Guest 1928

Describing tone in person is tough, over the internet it's near impossible but we still try. That said, I'm not at all sure this guitar is going to suit you in the long run.

The dimple is simply a marker for where to drill the hole if you choose to install an UST. No effect on the tone.

The saddle should be bone on a 2014 D-28.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:23 PM

Thanks Guys,

@Jim D:
Regarding playing in. Yes my (straight braced 13 yr old) D15 got better over the years. Mostly more volume when I really dig in. The D15 can get muddy if im not careful. Playing too hard, micing too lose too sound hole etc etc. Im gonna hold on to my D28 for a while. I mean the diff in value between it being 2 months or 12 months old probably won't matter much. As long as my kids (2 and 4) don't get to it :-)

@Ned
They had one other D28 that I played. It was set up poorly I really didn't give her a chance. I also played a Hd-28 there, also set up poorly. Had it in my head that once "opened up" it would become muddy like my D15 can get. I really wanted something that would record well. As I have learned over the years, sometimes what sounds good to your ears does not sound as good in play back. Granted I don't make my living at playing guitar :-) I do play out at least once a month but ~80% of the time I am playing for myself (especially with my acoustics). The first time i strummed a D-35 I was like "Wow this is what I want" but after playing it for a while I thought that (for me) it was too "muddy". When I played harder the bass seemed to over-power the mids and highs. Not enough string/note separation.
I can't return it (7 day). The saddle and nut is bone. Totally agree regarding the description of tonal issues via internet BTW.

@Todd
Might as well hold on to it for a few months. A work colleague of mine said the same thing to me: "Not sure this guitar is going to suit you in the long run". I guess ill give it an extended short run and see how it plays out.

Thanks again. Oh BTW, I played a Collings d2h (similar to d28) and a Bourgeois d something?. They were both (especially the Bourgeois) out of my price range. The Collings was ok, not great. The Bourgeois was very nice but not "Im gonna sell my car to buy this thing". Guess I'll hang on to my D-28 and play as many others as I can till I find "The One". She sure does smell nice :-)
Scott
Old 04-14-2015, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

How about different strings or different gauges? I have an OM size guitar that sounds like a brick with coated mediums, but comes to life with a set of DR Sunbeams.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:17 AM

Check to see that the saddle is flat along the whole distance and that the slot is clean and that the bottom of the saddle is square to the sides. If it is not properly made it can compromise sound. Also check to see that your low E string is seated to your bridge plate with it strung up, sometimes a string can hang up and not seat and it will not sound as strong.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:01 AM

Isnīt there a possibility of sending it to Martin to have them have a look at it ... or better an ear?

Martin D28 (1973)
12-string cutaway ...finished ;-)
Hoyer 12-string (1965)
Yamaha FG-340 (1970)
Yamaha FG-512 (ca. 1980)
D.Maurer 8-string baritone (2013-2014)
and 4 electric axes
Old 04-15-2015, 08:35 AM

My guess is that this guitar is never going to make you happy.

If you can't return it, there's always Craigslist.

Be sure you check out a HD28V next time around. And, if you can write the check, just go get an Authentic and be done with it.

Good luck. We've all bought guitars that didn't live up to our full expectations.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:09 AM

Thanks,

Yeah regarding ball end being seated in bridge plate. I even put my phone inside to take a picture to confirm lol.
I'll just play her for a while and see what happens. I'll keep trying out as many as I can until I find "the one". Thanks again everyone
Old 04-18-2015, 07:16 AM

Is your low E string muted when you play it open? Have you compared the volume when you fret the E string? Sometimes "stropping" in the string on the nut will help seat the string, giving it better contact with the entire string bearing surface. I just changed a nut on an old Yamaha FG150 Red Label, and the 1st and 4th strings were a bit buzzy and not at the same tone and volume as the others. I took an old string of the same gauge and flossed the string slots. The buzzes went away and the strings sound like they should.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:46 PM

What's a home made tone-rite??
Old 04-22-2015, 07:56 PM

I might try a new saddle, maybe a bone upgrade while you're at it just in case the stock saddle has a flaw or a dead spot. A pretty cheap thing to try and fixed a string balance problem I had on an old Yamaha some years ago.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Yes my (straight braced 13 yr old) D15 got better over the years.
The bracing on the D-15 may technically be called 'straight braced', but it is not anywhere close to as stiff as the bracing on a standard D-28. In some ways (particularly below the bridge), it is even less stiff than the scalloped bracing of an HD-28.
The D-15 has fewer braces than a Standard Series Martin, and they taper significantly.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtenconnector View Post
I have even tried putting a home-made tone-rite on it :-)
What is this? What do you mean?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair