The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-07-2015, 06:19 AM

Default Fender/Squire Electric Guitar Construction Questions

When I look at the fretwork on a Chinese manufactured Squire the fret slots seem very deep and the fret ends look as if their tang was cut for binding. Does that deep slot extend across the whole fingerboard? Are these necks of compromised stability as a result? The Squire Telecaster Thinline seems otherwise attractive...

Looking at the guitar pictures on Sweetwater many of the Fenders do not have their strings centered over the end of the fret board. Can this be fixed by loosening the neck bolts, pulling the neck into position, and re-tightening? I prefer something closer to Vintage string spacing (2 5/32" or 2 3/16" ???) where this seems quite important to me.

Thanks,
Jon
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 04-07-2015, 02:30 PM

There are lots of odd problems with Chinese made instruments. At least you noticed. Anything can be corrected, but as always is the price worth it?

Deeper slots for frets arent a structural issue.

-r
Old 04-07-2015, 05:58 PM

Location: Darwin, Australia, 12.5 degrees south of the equator

I won't repeat what Repete said but I do have some advice when buying those. Buy second hand and a few years old cause some seem to suffer from what might be not very well seasoned wood and if it has had a few years any neck troubles should have shown by then.
If I chose car racing instead.
Jim Schofield

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair