The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-15-2024, 03:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 414CE Koa View Post
I appreciate all of your thoughts and input. It is greatly appreciated. How do I actually find people to play with? It has been years since I have and at this point I don't really know anyone who plays or has time to play.
"Other people" don't have to be guitarists. You could find a singer, or someone who plays flute, or whatever, and just make music together. The sum of such collaborations is always greater than the parts - and very inspirational. You will learn things that are just not on your radar at present - and it will take you in different directions. Even doing something like accompanying a singer will spark new ideas for you, and give you new things to work on with your guitar playing.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 01-15-2024, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coler View Post
Would it be fair to say you have felt like this at times over the years? . . .
Jerry Garcia, a famously compulsive player,* said it often happened to him. The first time or two, it scared him. Then he realized it was the way his mind worked: Sometimes it needed a break. After that, he just went with it.

---------

*A friend of his once said that all he needed to be happy was a guita and room service.
Old 01-15-2024, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Making music is not competitive sport.
As I enter my next songwriting contest.

Unfortunately, if you really want to play in front of people and get your songs heard, it *is* a competition, as there are only so many slots available. Especially for original music instead of covers.
Old 01-16-2024, 12:49 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Try a different tuning, new technique, play around with harmonics, etc. New tunes, new style. Shake it up a little.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-18-2024, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
"Other people" don't have to be guitarists. You could find a singer, or someone who plays flute, or whatever, and just make music together. The sum of such collaborations is always greater than the parts - and very inspirational. You will learn things that are just not on your radar at present - and it will take you in different directions. Even doing something like accompanying a singer will spark new ideas for you, and give you new things to work on with your guitar playing.
Yup. One of the folks I play with a lot is a blues harpist. I dig blues, so it's easy to get together and rock out.
Old 01-18-2024, 08:50 AM

You might just try posting a "looking for people to jam with" flyer in your local music store/local guitar shop.
Old 01-18-2024, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 414CE Koa View Post
I appreciate all of your thoughts and input. It is greatly appreciated. How do I actually find people to play with? It has been years since I have and at this point I don't really know anyone who plays or has time to play.
Craigslist*, open mics, coffee houses. If people busk near you, you can ask to sit in with them. If you're near a college, use its bulletin boards.

You can also go to places that present local artists and chat them up between sets.

---------------------

*Keep in mind that there's more to Craig's than the Community/Musicians section. If you go to For sale/Musical instruments, advertisers there are sometimes open to getting together to jam.
Old 01-20-2024, 06:32 AM

Another thing to consider is the time of year. Winter can be quite gloomy in North America with December being the cloudiest day of the year, and January not far behind. If you've never heard of it, there is a common syndrome in winter called SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) which causes depression due to a loss of sunlight. It can be very mild or it can be very serious.

I get it every winter but for me it just causes a lack of motivation. It wasn't a good thing when I ran my a sole proprietorship, but now that I'm retired...

Allegedly way to combat it are getting out of the house, and doing outdoor activities in what little sun we get, or a special lamp that mimics the sun, and making sure you get the minimum amount of Vitamin D.

On another note there seems to be a relationship with MS cases and northern latitudes that get less sunlight. MS is unheard of the closer to get to the equator. MS is more common in Northern Europeans and people of Northern European descent.

Last edited by Cecil6243; 01-20-2024 at 06:49 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write