The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-24-2015, 11:21 AM

Default Preamp for Live Acoustic Guitar

I typically run my guitar through a tube DI (Demeter VTDB-2b) and direct to the house (with in-ear monitors) but have been contemplating a more tailored rig. I've got an AER Compact 60 that would be used as a stage monitor. Option one is to use that as my DI feed, utilizing the EQ on the amp. Option two is a pedal-type DI (Baggs Venue or the new Baggs Session when it is released). Option three would be to re-purpose a rack for acoustic, and add a few rack mount units to a Korg DTR tuner. I've got the Baggs Lyric installed and love the way it sounds but I would like a little extra control to adjust the EQ and add some compression/dynamics as necessary. The Venue sounds nice, and has a very flexible EQ section, a tuner and a boost feature. The Session includes compression/saturation but no tuner and no boost. Rack mount units would have much more controllable compression and dynamics features (Focusrite Red 7 plus a Pendulum EQ or perhaps an Avalon 737?) and I love my Korg tuner, but I'd lose the boost feature (not a priority, but would come in handy). The rack option is certainly the top end of the budget...probably looking at $3k there. Venue and Session are certainly cheaper but also either limited in functionality or output quality. Any suggestions that I haven't considered? Other thoughts?

Last edited by Unionjack515; 03-24-2015 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:53 PM

I think I would miss the sound of the Demeter. Since you have the AER you could try that first. Considering you are using this kind of quality a Pendulum SPS-1 might be a good fit.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:13 PM

It seems that everything under about $300 is missing something, but for convenience they're hard to beat with a rack. I haven't used them all but I like the sound I can get with the Radial PZ-Deluxe, which uses the same circuitry as the PZ-Pre which has a couple more features that you may like. But, for total control of your eq it'll be difficult to do better than the Pendulum in a rack.

Last edited by akafloyd; 03-26-2015 at 10:38 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:07 PM

As I am only using a single source (Lyric only, no UST or piezo), I am looking primarily at the out-of-production Pendulum HZ-10SE. This is a single channel preamp/EQ rather than the SPS-1, which seems to cater to a dual-source setup. I actually have sourced one and am hoping to buy at a significant discount. The compression/dynamics units are a different story, however. Haven't found a way around the high prices the good ones are commanding. Still interested in alternate options, if anyone has thoughts.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

First thing I would do is to see if you can get an acceptable tone from the AER... I have used mine on stage as a monitor for both my voice and guitar, with the DI out to the main board... that way there was NOTHING coming at me through the stage monitors, just the sound of the AER, which I could position far enough away so that it both sounded very good AND was basically unsusceptible to feedback issues...

I have the Anthem SL in both my 6 and 12 string "stage" guitars, and I can get a good sound from the AER, albeit with a little fiddling...

Another decent solution would be to go ahead and get a Venue or whatever, and run THAT into the AER...

Those little Compact 60's are such amazing little amps and sound about as good as the signal which is sent to them... they sound best AT VOLUME, to me, as opposed to turned down to a minimal sound level...

Certainly, you could go the "rack" route, but that's gonna get a little more complicated and much more expensive... all depends upon what YOU want, of course. All the opinions in the world don't mean squat if it ain't what you want...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 03-26-2015, 10:04 PM

Took a chance when I got my Sansamp Para DI----like it
Old 03-27-2015, 06:27 AM
Charter Member

Check out the Felix from Grace Design. I just started a thread on it yesterday and specs are here: http://www.gracedesign.com/products/felix/felix.htm
Old 03-27-2015, 04:09 PM

The Grace Felix wasn't quite what I wanted but the Grace m103 sure looks promising...
Old 03-27-2015, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionjack515 View Post
As I am only using a single source (Lyric only, no UST or piezo), I am looking primarily at the out-of-production Pendulum HZ-10SE. This is a single channel preamp/EQ rather than the SPS-1, which seems to cater to a dual-source setup. I actually have sourced one and am hoping to buy at a significant discount. The compression/dynamics units are a different story, however. Haven't found a way around the high prices the good ones are commanding. Still interested in alternate options, if anyone has thoughts.
The Pendulum HZ-10 and HZ-10SE were made between 1988 and 1993. According to Greg G. at Pendulum, some of the parts are no longer available, so servicing may not be available for certain things without finding a adequate replacement part with possible design mods to make it work right.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The Grace Felix wasn't quite what I wanted but the Grace m103 sure looks promising...
You might want to look at a used Presonus Eureka channel strip. It is quite adequate for servicing a single pickup.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post

The Pendulum HZ-10 and HZ-10SE were made between 1988 and 1993. According to Greg G. at Pendulum, some of the parts are no longer available, so servicing may not be available for certain things without finding a adequate replacement part with possible design mods to make it work right.
. This is a good point. I think the Pendulum stuff has the reputation to be worth the risk.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post

You might want to look at a used Presonus Eureka channel strip. It is quite adequate for servicing a single pickup.
. Also looks promising. Thank you, you are providing some great info. I appreciate it. The Grace unit seems to be a bit more accommodating with regard to input/output options, and I'm a little more familiar with their sound. Do you have personal experience with the Presonus?
Old 04-01-2015, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

I have a pendulum hz for sale if interested.

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 04-02-2015, 08:58 AM

Default Preamp for Live Acoustic Guitar

Well, I was in discussions about another in KS. Please email me with details/photos/asking price. br dot gilmore at gmail dot com.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
. Also looks promising. Thank you, you are providing some great info. I appreciate it. The Grace unit seems to be a bit more accommodating with regard to input/output options, and I'm a little more familiar with their sound. Do you have personal experience with the Presonus?
Only minor experience with the Presonus Eureka. Decent unit. I have more experience with the Presonus MP20 for gigging. Both the Eureka and MP20 have the same exact preamp in them, a dual servo design. The op amps (2 for each preamp channel) are socketed and can be swapped with other op amps for a slight difference in behavior and sonics, e.g., Burr Brown INA127 or THAT 1512.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification