The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-12-2015, 06:11 AM

Default Microphones for Stage and Recording Opinion

Hi Folks,

I've decided in my golden years to embark on a solo acoustic career as I can longer find good work ethic in guys my age in my area for serious band work.
I play an Epi Masterbuilt dreadnought and a National Tricone resonator during the course of my show.
My first mic purchase was a Neumann KM184 and I am smoked by it's performance! It will stand up alone but, my need for stereo sound is great .

The question is: since I'm not going to spend the money for another KM184, which one of these under $300 mics would you pick to accompany the Neumann?

Shure SM81
Audio-Technica 4041
Heil P-35?

As you know, the Shure and A-T are condenser but, the Heil is dynamic (great write-ups on the dynamic Heil for acoustic). Thanks in advance.

Last edited by km184; 04-12-2015 at 06:14 AM. Reason: forgot info
Old 04-12-2015, 06:50 AM

Default Microphones for Stage and Recording Opinion

The SM81 is a classic mic and the advantages are good frequency response and the facility to switch in both pad (signal level drop) and low cut (which is very useful for live instrument mics). The disadvantage for me is that it is rather long and a bit obtrusive. I tend to use it as a hi hat mic where it doesn't really get in the way of anything!

The AT mic I am not familiar with personally though in general they have a good reputation.

The Heil P-35 is a great dynamic mic. Tommy Emmanuel was using one for his voice when he played in Stockholm a couple of weeks ago, and it delivered. There are advantages to using a dynamic on instruments - tolerance for higher sound levels being one - and could be a great complement to the KM184. If using the two for stereo recording or live then the KM will give you the most natural response, the air and top end, and the Heil can be used for the heart of your sound. Being directional both mics will lose low end at a distance though the Heil's proximity effect will probably be more noticeable.

One nice side effect of using 2 mics live is that you can use the Neumann to provide the best acoustic sound out front and the dynamic more in the monitor, assuming you have that flexibility.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 04-12-2015, 09:26 AM

All I know is when I played the same and sang the same, I didn't get compliments on my singing until after I bought the Heil PR35. I used a Shure beta 58 before that.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:16 AM

I noticed considerably more clarity and cut when comparing an EV ND767 to the Beta 58 I started with. Sold the Beta.

The ND 767/967, if understand correctly are supposed to be one of, if not the highest gain dynamic mics out there. The main thing about them I find, is that they don't require much EQ at all and STILL perform. Told a sound guy friend of mine I hadn't seen in years that I was using one and his eyes just glazed over. Said he loves 'em.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:22 PM

Your question is not very easy to answer really. Any of those mics (or a dozen others) will work just fine with the 184, depending on what you're trying to accomplish. Obviously the 81 and 35 have very little in common so what are you trying to do?
Old 04-12-2015, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by km184 View Post
Hi Folks,

I've decided in my golden years to embark on a solo acoustic career as I can longer find good work ethic in guys my age in my area for serious band work.
I play an Epi Masterbuilt dreadnought and a National Tricone resonator during the course of my show.
My first mic purchase was a Neumann KM184 and I am smoked by it's performance! It will stand up alone but, my need for stereo sound is great .

The question is: since I'm not going to spend the money for another KM184, which one of these under $300 mics would you pick to accompany the Neumann?

Shure SM81
Audio-Technica 4041
Heil P-35?

As you know, the Shure and A-T are condenser but, the Heil is dynamic (great write-ups on the dynamic Heil for acoustic). Thanks in advance.
I'm not sure if you want the second mic for your instrument (along with the KM184) or for vocals. If it is for the former, I think you will have problems trying to use two mics to amplify a guitar or resonator - mostly feedback issues. You should consider installing pickups into each instrument and then use the KM184 to blend with the pickup.

If the second mic is for vocals, I don't know if your first two choices would be best for that.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:54 PM

Thanks for your replies folks!
Vocals are looked after with my beloved sm58 Beta. Really don't care about another vocal mic; this one fits the voice and PA to a 'T'.

My quest is for a mate for the Neumann KM184 where Mr. N sits pointing at about the 12th fret and microphone X, she will be pointing behind my hand around the bridge or so or, maybe even overhead.
Pickups/transducers will not happen for me.

My particular madness is to properly utilize a stereo effects rack using hardly audible yet still delicious levels of chorus, delays and phasers.
Less is always best and by adding a tiny, unobtrusive amount causes head scratching and curiousity in the crowd. In my history of performance, it's always been a crowd pleaser! Maybe I'm wrong for 2015+ but, I aim to find out.
Don't they use 2 mics on stage in the acoustic guitar concert circuits or is it just a recording thang???

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification