The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-18-2022, 01:39 PM

Default Loud feedback issue with fishman toneDEQ.

So I bought the fishman toneDEQ last week and set it up to play through my loudbox mini. I’m mainly playing my HD28 with the LR baggs m80 pickup. For the first couple days of playing, it sounded awesome! Just the sound I was looking for. Then the other night I was playing when a loud screech came through my amp that almost gave me a heart attack! It lasted under a second, then continued to happen every few seconds. Sounds like a velociraptor or some other prehistoric creature. I have no idea how to get it to stop. I tried everything. The only thing that I can think of is that I’m using a wireless transmitter and receiver to go from the guitar to the toneDEQ, then a 1/4 wire to the amp. Does anyone have any idea how to resolve this issue? I don’t understand how it would work fine for a few days and then all of a sudden I get all this feedback.
Old 09-18-2022, 06:23 PM

The way you describe it, it doesn't sound like feedback (which wouldn't typically be intermittent like that). I'd suspect the wireless; it almost sounds like external interference. Anyone turn on a microwave nearby? But the way to troubleshoot is to remove parts of the signal chain until it doesn't happen any more.

I'd start by removing the wireless and plugging in a cable from guitar to ToneDEQ to see if that fixes the problem. If not, remove the ToneDEQ and make sure guitar straight into amp works (and it's not something with the pickup or the amp). Then maybe try wireless into amp without ToneDEQ, to see if the ToneDEQ might be faulty.
Old 09-18-2022, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
The way you describe it, it doesn't sound like feedback (which wouldn't typically be intermittent like that). I'd suspect the wireless; it almost sounds like external interference. Anyone turn on a microwave nearby? But the way to troubleshoot is to remove parts of the signal chain until it doesn't happen any more.

I'd start by removing the wireless and plugging in a cable from guitar to ToneDEQ to see if that fixes the problem. If not, remove the ToneDEQ and make sure guitar straight into amp works (and it's not something with the pickup or the amp). Then maybe try wireless into amp without ToneDEQ, to see if the ToneDEQ might be faulty.
Ok thanks, that’s what I’m thinking as well. I already ran the guitar direct to the amp without any problems. So I guess I’ll have to pick up another cable and plug the guitar into the toneDEQ to see if that solves it. Too bad if that’s the problem because it’s so nice going wireless on the guitar end. Oh well, thanks again.
Old 09-19-2022, 10:05 AM

Good debugging advice above.

What you describe sounds like digital noise to me. The bursts and the screech of it.
It can also sound like bursts of clicking or tapping.

The most likely source is your phone. Even when idling it checks in with the tower periodically.
Is it in a pocket that is near to one of the wireless units? Do you place it on the amp?
Moving your phone and computers away from you is an easy thing to try.

Happy hunting! _Roger

Last edited by RogerPease; 09-19-2022 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Typo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification