The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-15-2021, 04:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
No those are 100% digital artefacts. Keep in mind that the IR construction process analyse the pickup content and try to transform it into the mic content. The guitar fundamental frequencies basically stop around 1 kHz (19th fret High e string)… so at best, the frequency content there would come from the 9th harmonic of this note noone plays.

In this spectrum zone, the algorithm struggles to pick information out of noise… If the noise wins you can randomly create super sharp peaks that are not natural. Believe me there is no 8.9kHz long sustain ringing coming from your guitar.

Again, it is like the piezo quack, you start to hear it all the time when you know it exists… My ears are trained to spot those.
So does Tone Dexter or your IR have those and with your IR’s do you remove them yourself?
Old 08-15-2021, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
So does Tone Dexter or your IR have those and with your IR’s do you remove them yourself?
I don’t understand. I am sorry (I am french).
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 08-15-2021, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don’t understand. I am sorry (I am french).
I mean do the Dexter and your IR have those ringing frequencies in the files like the NUX does and how do you deal with it in your IR? When you create an IR for me do you go in and remove the ringing frequencies?
Old 08-15-2021, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
You can do both, of course (I do)
Touché! But I am but a simpleton, blending them with a mini-mixer and not nearly good enough to warrant IR 😂
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 08-15-2021, 09:42 AM

Aaron, maybe it’s hard to answer but how would you rank the Aura, Nux, Voiceprint and Tonedexter? Just in terms of which you prefer.
Old 08-15-2021, 10:28 AM

Default The ULTIMATE Acoustic Guitar IR Shootout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
You can do both, of course (I do)

I’ve been experimenting with this as well. Think of it as multiple mics, some real, some virtual.
Old 08-15-2021, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Aaron, maybe it’s hard to answer but how would you rank the Aura, Nux, Voiceprint and Tonedexter? Just in terms of which you prefer.
Based on the video examples: Cuki with added EQ match, Cuki, NUX, Aura, Tone Dexter VPDI.

This may change is I used a different pickup for the test and may change when I have tried them all in practice.
Old 08-15-2021, 10:31 AM

One thing I will add is that even on a recording or a direct stream, mixing in the raw pickup sound helps with the high frequencies.
Old 08-15-2021, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
I mean do the Dexter and your IR have those ringing frequencies in the files like the NUX does and how do you deal with it in your IR? When you create an IR for me do you go in and remove the ringing frequencies?
Great question. If I remember well, Tonedexter patents create a bunch of IRs stocked in a stack and discards the unsatisfactory frequency points. Old TD firmware “seemed” to cut above a certain frequency with a high end roll off limiting the risk too.

My algorithm has different stages/ strategies for discarding bad datas (ringing). If I remember well the “light” version (free and open source) has only one but it is the most effective one.

Jon discards the ringing and replace them by “0dB” meaning 100% pickup at these frequencies.

When I say discarding it is not a post process like EQ. It means we don’t use the information from the mic and pickup and wait for better information (ex: high end with better signal to noise ratio)

Did you update the firmware on the Nux or was it the original firmware recipe?
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 08-15-2021, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Great question. If I remember well, Tonedexter patents create a bunch of IRs stocked in a stack and discards the unsatisfactory frequency points. Old TD firmware “seemed” to cut above a certain frequency with a high end roll off limiting the risk too.

My algorithm has different stages/ strategies for discarding bad datas (ringing). If I remember well the “light” version (free and open source) has only one but it is the most effective one.

Jon discards the ringing and replace them by “0dB” meaning 100% pickup at these frequencies.

When I say discarding it is not a post process like EQ. It means we don’t use the information from the mic and pickup and wait for better information (ex: high end with better signal to noise ratio)

Did you update the firmware on the Nux or was it the original firmware recipe?
All devices were on latest firmware.
Old 09-06-2022, 09:11 AM

Hey guys, my first post here… I have an HX Stomp that I’ve been using the worship tutorials holy grail IRs on. I don’t use my stomp for any electric presets anymore, just playing a lot of acoustic these days. I’ve heard a lot of good things about the Optima Air. I’ve thought about downsizing a little by selling my stomp and picking up a cheaper optima air. This would free up a little money to help with a pickup swap I want to do. Would there be a drop off in sound quality going from using IRs on the stomp to using IRs on the Optima Air?
Old 09-06-2022, 10:43 AM

Great video, as always!
Old 09-09-2022, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACvol3 View Post
Hey guys, my first post here… I have an HX Stomp that I’ve been using the worship tutorials holy grail IRs on. I don’t use my stomp for any electric presets anymore, just playing a lot of acoustic these days. I’ve heard a lot of good things about the Optima Air. I’ve thought about downsizing a little by selling my stomp and picking up a cheaper optima air. This would free up a little money to help with a pickup swap I want to do. Would there be a drop off in sound quality going from using IRs on the stomp to using IRs on the Optima Air?
I've been using the Nux into a Baggs Align Session then to a Voicelive3 for FX. Was using the Stomp. No drop in sound quality. I too use the HG IR's. The McPherson in particular.

Last edited by Foss38; 09-09-2022 at 12:28 PM. Reason: .
Old 09-10-2022, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
Great video, as always!
Yes it is.

I noted a woofy sound in the ToneDexter clip. I had found that to be the case when I was using it live. I could bump the treble a bit, but that didn't totally cure it. I supposed there was a frequency to try to notch out, but I'm not good at figuring that out. In the end I went with a different pickup system and sold the TDx to a friend.
Old 09-12-2022, 04:02 PM

Thanks Aaron for the wonderful video! My ear liked the NUX the best with some high end tweaks as you said. Can't spend any money right now but that Optima Air sure has my attention.

-jay
'98 SRV Fender Stratocaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification