The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-19-2022, 07:42 PM

Default connecting my mixer to Bose TS4 channel

Some friends that I jam with want me to join them on gigs. I would be using my banjo, vocal and maybe guitar. But The sound system they have is a Bose Tower (not sure what model, but it is older). They have the TS4 mixer on it--with four channels. I would be playing with a duo. Each of them uses two channels--for vocal and guitar. Thus, no extra channels. I was hoping I could plug my Soundcraft EFX8 into one of the TS4 channels and have my vocal and instrument mics plus one of their guitars also plugged into the mixer. Presently I use an instrument mic for the banjo, but may eventually use a pickup on the banjo. So....what could go wrong!. Years ago I was in a trio and we used one of the early Bose towers. We did use a mixer to get enough channels and for the most part it worked well. Of course it did not have a digital mixer. I am familiar with what needs to be done when playing with the Bose--i.e., putting it off to the side and in front; and not having mics pointing directly at the tower. Hope all this is clear. I have tried to explain this as best I can. I haven't used a Bose for years and nowadays am more familiar with a traditional system. But my friends are pretty much used to using the Bose. Any advice, wisdom appreciated.
Old 09-19-2022, 08:08 PM

I use a Yamaha Mixing board with my JBL Tower PA.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ith-usb-and-fx
It is a great mixer and not a bad price for the quality it offers.
It takes up one channel and gives you 4 additional channels to add to the system.
Old 09-19-2022, 08:09 PM

There should be two input channels on the Bose unit. Your mixer out should plug into the second input on the Bose.
Old 09-21-2022, 05:37 PM

just to let anybody interested know developments on my OP: Last night I got together with bandmates and used my Soundcraft efx12 notebook connected to the Bose. We used one of the channels on the TS4. It took some back and forth with the EQ and gain/volume, but things worked just fine. The three of us a got very nice balanced sound with a good amount of volume. I used a Shure Beta 57a for my banjo and it had a good sound and fit well into the mix. Hopefully, when we set up for our gig tomorrow night the settings will hold with very little tweaking needed to adjust to a bigger room.
Old 09-21-2022, 08:11 PM

Hope the gig went well and your PA did what you wanted it to do.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification