The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-14-2022, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringmaster View Post
^^^
Sounds like their custom phantom box would be a solution for open mics and gigs where you’re handed a 1/4” cable to plug in.
Absolutely - but it also seems that just about any 48v box would work with even a simple xlr to 1/4” adapter for the other side.

I’m liking the phantom option even more!
Old 09-14-2022, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8 GS8 View Post
Absolutely - but it also seems that just about any 48v box would work with even a simple xlr to 1/4” adapter for the other side.

I’m liking the phantom option even more!
Yes, I think any would work. I had something cheap for a while - Rolls? I forget. There's not much to this, you just need a box that has power and the right wiring inside - you could build one yourself. I found it to be a hassle tho, always needing my special dongle thing to plug in (and it requires power of some kind). It all depends on your situation, rest of your gear, and priorities. When the situation is right, just plugging directly into the XLR inputs of a mixer is very cool. The hard part, especially if you're doing open mics, is getting people to understand that your setup is "different". The more you can just plug in and play in less than 15 seconds, the better those situations usually go.
Old 09-14-2022, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8 GS8 View Post
Hey everyone -

I’m a long time member, lurker, and infrequent poster - but I’ve got a question.

I’ve got a Martin OMC-1 Fingerstyle, and I really don’t like the fishman pickup it came with - I’ve never been a fan of the under saddle sound tbh.

Anyway - I’m looking at installing an MVT phantom, but everywhere I read about it, it says you need to use a trs-xlr cable due to the phantom - but here’s my question.

I use a Grace ALiX and that provides phantom power but doesn’t have an xlr input for the guitar - just xlr outputs. Couldn’t I just use trs-trs for the guitar and use the Grace phantom power to power the MVT?

I’m very intrigued by this pickup system, but my emails to Trance have not resulted in any replies.

Thanks everyone!
I have a FELiX 2 and one time I plugged my Larrivee C-03 TE Tommy Emmanuel with its Trance Amulet M-VT Phantom into the FELiX 2 with a TRS-TRS instrument cord and of course the phantom power didn't activate the Trance preamp. Without a doubt, you've got to use a TRS-XLR cord. I love the sound of this rig and my Trance Amulet M-VT Phantom-equipped Martin HD-28! Having tried several systems over many years, the Trance Amulet M-VT whether battery or phantom powered is my favorite pickup/preamp system.
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 09-14-2022 at 04:45 PM.
Old 09-18-2022, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I have a FELiX 2 and one time I plugged my Larrivee C-03 TE Tommy Emmanuel with its Trance Amulet M-VT Phantom into the FELiX 2 with a TRS-TRS instrument cord and of course the phantom power didn't activate the Trance preamp. Without a doubt, you've got to use a TRS-XLR cord. I love the sound of this rig and my Trance Amulet M-VT Phantom-equipped Martin HD-28! Having tried several systems over many years, the Trance Amulet M-VT whether battery or phantom powered is my favorite pickup/preamp system.
Hello Spruce,

Did you install the Trance yourself?

Thanks,
Billy
Old 09-18-2022, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyH View Post
Hello Spruce,

Did you install the Trance yourself?

Thanks,
Billy
Hi Billy, yes, I've always installed my Trance Amulet M-VT systems myself. My first installations were done with the Trance "permanent tape" with the last two done with Henkel Loctite 6-Minute Epoxy (this is what Dazzo pickups recommend using for their installations). The resulting difference in amplified tone is night and day with the Henkel Loctite 6-Minute Epoxy installations sounding fuller and louder--think of a K&K installation with everything still in balance. I'm the only one I know of that's used the epoxy to install the Amulets and Gary Hull, the owner of Trance Audio, doesn't recommend using it mainly because you may destroy the Amulets if you want to remove them for whatever reason. I always thought Trance systems had a better tone to offer than was provided by the permanent tape. For me, I was correct.

My recommendation is to give the recommended permanent tape installation method with its turnbuckle-thruster a try and if you're happy with what you hear enjoy the system. If not, and you want to try using the epoxy, contact me and I can guide you through the simpler installation process the epoxy enables (the epoxy gives you a few minutes to get the location of the Amulets where they need to be). Please buy the Trance Amulet M-VT Phantom system or Trance Amulet M-VT Plus battery system as you'll need the additional volume and tone control over the dramatically increased output the epoxied Amulets provide. You can find many posts in which I explain the process under my moniker with Trance references by using the search engine.
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 09-24-2022 at 08:01 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification