The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-14-2022, 03:54 PM

Default Volume/Sound Adjustment for Guitar and Mic?

I have a band member that uses a Shure Beat 57 to amplify his guitar.
[Actually, we all mic our instruments]

The mic level is set for when he is playing with a pick.
We have several songs where he uses fingerpicks.
When he does this, his sound level goes way down.

My question is this?
Is there a peddle that can be used to change the volume/sound level for his mic?

I know that they make volume peddles for a plugged in guitars but can this be done with a mic using SLR cables?

Last edited by L20A; 09-14-2022 at 05:48 PM.
Old 09-14-2022, 06:38 PM

I don't know of a volume pedal with XLR connections, but you could use a mic volume control such as the Rapco Horizon CVPBLOX. Attach it to his mic stand to adjust the SM57 volume easily.

You may need to verify the type of connections you need and order the one that's right for you.
Old 09-14-2022, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I don't know of a volume pedal with XLR connections, but you could use a mic volume control such as the Rapco Horizon CVPBLOX. Attach it to his mic stand to adjust the SM57 volume easily.

You may need to verify the type of connections you need and order the one that's right for you.
Something like that will definitely work to get two levels on the mic, if you don't have someone at the board who can do it for you. Just watch out for feedback when you turn it up.

Another approach would be to use a compressor, although that can reduce the feedback threshold, too, if you're putting the compressed signal into stage monitors. Of course, a lot depends on the stage volume in general and the sorts of venues you're playing.

Yet another approach--cheaper, but it takes a little practice--would be to set the mic for the fingerpicking, and then have the guitarist pick and strum more quietly with the flatpack or back away from the mic a bit when playing with the flatpack.

Louis
Old 09-14-2022, 07:23 PM

I have a pedalboard I made for vocals. It starts with an ART MP tube preamp which has an XLR input and a 1/4" out. From that, it goes to the effects. A boost pedal would be perfect for this application. On the tail end, I use an IMP2 DI box in with 1/4" and back out with the XLR.

Or this
https://www.radialeng.com/product/hotshot-abo
But you'd need to use 2 channels on the mixer for his mic.

Last edited by YamahaGuy; 09-14-2022 at 08:06 PM.
Old 09-14-2022, 08:02 PM

Looks like there is no peddle made to do what I want.
We have tri3ed setting his mic like suggested but it doesn't work, He sings lead vocals on about half of the songs and when he is singing he gets his guitar closer to the mic and the guitar gets too loud.

We don't use monitors and he wears hearing aids which factor into the equation.

How about a guitar peddle with XLR adapters?
Would that work?
Old 09-14-2022, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
Looks like there is no peddle made to do what I want.
We have tri3ed setting his mic like suggested but it doesn't work, He sings lead vocals on about half of the songs and when he is singing he gets his guitar closer to the mic and the guitar gets too loud.

We don't use monitors and he wears hearing aids which factor into the equation.

How about a guitar peddle with XLR adapters?
Would that work?
With something like a Radial Hotshot ABo, you could send the mic signal to two different channels on the house mixer, switching between them, one set louder than the other.

https://www.radialeng.com/product/hotshot-abo

With an Eventide MixingLink you could run the mic signal through whatever compression or boost pedal or volume pedal you want. You'd put the pedal in the FX loop and the MixingLink converts the mic signal to one the pedals can take, then back to mic level and the right impedance to go to the mixer:

https://www.eventideaudio.com/pedals/mixinglink/

If you're not using monitors, then maybe good compression at the mixer will do the trick?

Just more suggestions.

L.

Last edited by lschwart; 09-14-2022 at 09:01 PM.
Old 09-15-2022, 06:47 AM

Wouldn't anything that boost a microphone signal work?? I mean it's just a microphone pointed at the guitar.. ??? just wondering..
Like this:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...e-preamplifier

or this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...rophone-preamp

And this one runs off phantom power
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RP1Pre--art-rp-1-phantom-powered-mic-preamplifier

Maybe they won't boost enough but you won't know until you try

Last edited by CASD57; 09-15-2022 at 07:39 AM.
Old 09-15-2022, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
I have a band member that uses a Shure Beat 57 to amplify his guitar.
[Actually, we all mic our instruments]My question is this?

Is there a peddle that can be used to change the volume/sound level for his mic?
Hi L20A…
What's wrong with using the fader on the board that controls volume for the (I presume you meant) Shure Beta 57? Where is your mixer located?

You could change his setup and run the Beta 57 through a small mixer inserted at his stage location which would pass the XLR signal in/out to wherever it's routed now. He could manage it himself.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-15-2022, 03:29 PM

Like others mentioned, just reach over the turn up his channel X amount of dB, (figure that out in advance) at your mixer when he finger picks. Seems easy enough and I doubt you have to be concerned about keeping people on the dance floor so 4 or 5 additional seconds between songs shouldn't matter and you don't have to buy anything new.
Old 09-15-2022, 05:12 PM

With no apparent "Box" that will do what we need, reverting back to adjusting the sound level on his mic is the best answer.

Our problem is that we use a very non-user friendly Line 1 Mixer.
It is known to loose all the levels when we try to move the screen to the line leven screen and try to adjust just one mic on the fly.

I will talk this over with everyone in the band tonight at practice.
It just occurred to me that we can use an I pad to make on the fly adjustments to his mic. He will need to use an IPad holder that can be attached to his mic stand.

Once again, thanks to everyone for your input and ideas.
Sometimes the best answers are the simplest ones.
I hope this is the case this time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification