The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-22-2014, 01:31 PM

Default CA GX vs CA GXi vs Taylor 814

So I'm looking for my first "real" guitar and am intrigued by the CA GX and CA GXi. The carbon fiber build is both awesome and will increase its chances of survival at college. At the same time, I'm considering a Taylor 814 for a more traditional wooden guitar.
So price no object, would you consider a CA GX alongside a Taylor 814? Which would you take home and why?
Old 06-22-2014, 01:47 PM

Smile

Great question. I too am planning to drop a bundle of coin on a new guitar in the coming new year.. Taylor owners, thoughts ?

- 1996 Maton 325 (finally settled & sounds good) with AP4
- 2008 Diesel mini Maton with AP4
- Behringer mixer and PA set up

P.S : Saving up for a Taylor, either a 514ce or an 814ce
Old 06-22-2014, 02:17 PM

I'd go for one of the CAs personally. If you like the "Taylor sound" check into Rainsong as well. Especially considering you mentioned college which means traveling back and forth from dorms to parents (or apartments), parties, and clumsy roommates all of which can cause some worrisome environments for a traditional (and expensive!) guitar.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:58 PM

Default College hmmm

Don't forget beach trips, camping, and picking up numbers on campus by playing on every patch of grass you can sit down on in between classes. Definitely look into the CA and Rainsongs although if you are going for the starving musician angle there's nothing wrong with a beat up old yamaha either
Old 06-22-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthusiast View Post
So I'm looking for my first "real" guitar and am intrigued by the CA GX and CA GXi. The carbon fiber build is both awesome and will increase its chances of survival at college. At the same time, I'm considering a Taylor 814 for a more traditional wooden guitar.
So price no object, would you consider a CA GX alongside a Taylor 814? Which would you take home and why?
You can have the more traditional look as well as all carbon construction by going with a Rainsong. IN fact the Rainsong WS models are very similar in size and shape to the Taylor GA (14) series guitars. If at all possible take a trip to a local store and try some CA's and Rainsongs to see which sound better to you.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

I like the idea of a carbon fiber guitar more and more. I don't think I would take anything as expensive as an 814 to college. I'd go with something that sounds nice for less, if going wood (like an Eastman of some sort). Otherwise for sheer convenience I'd go with a CA or Rainsong. I just bought (and will be returning) a GX, though. It doesn't have the sparkle of a Taylor. As a wise man here on this forum told me (he can claim the paraphrased quote, if he'd like), CA guitars are warm, but one man's "warm" is another man's "muddy". Not sure about smaller models, such as the CA Ox or Rainsong OM, in terms of sound, though.

In short, for the college years, I'd definitely go carbon fiber and wipe off the beer with no worries.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 06-23-2014, 12:04 PM

I have a Rainsong LA2-LE in college and I agree with everyone that it is a good choice.

Maintaining the humidity level in your dorm room is a pain (our school only allows cool mist humidifiers which leave white dust everywhere). It is really nice to have a guitar that can sit on a stand that you can grab any time. Also, there have been couple incidents (mostly involving reckless college kids) that would have significantly damaged a high end wood instrument but the Rainsong survived them all and still sounds and plays like a dream.

Shameless Plug:That being said, I have the guitar on the classifieds section of the forum. I really want to keep it but I need the cash for off campus housing and other expenses for senior year.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:55 PM

Thanks everyone for the opinions. I agree taking the 814 to college would be a little scary but I'm hoping to have this guitar for a long time and want to do it right. I'll be auditioning the 814 this week and possibly a CA guitar. However, it's a pretty long trek to a Rain song dealer and I haven't looked into them much. I actually really like to look of the CAs, especially the GXi.
Has anyone tried the GXi vs the GX? I've heard the GXi is supposed to be "bassier,"
Old 06-23-2014, 07:43 PM

I really wouldn't take an 814 to college, especially if you're going to be living in dorms. If the CAs don't do it for you look for a cheaper (but still good) guitar like a Yamaha or Seagull (preferably used) and save the difference to buy that 814 when you graduate.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:54 PM

Default Gxi

I am after a Gxi myself! Have a trade up in the classifieds. Trying to trade my Custom Shop Gibson ES-339 for a Gxi. I'm headed to the Phillipines in August and definitely don't want to take a wood guitar!
Old 06-23-2014, 07:57 PM
Charter Member

Based on my experience with the GX, the GXi would be too bassy. I haven't played the GXi though, only read the comparisons. The GX has plenty of bass.

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 06-23-2014, 11:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorable View Post
I really wouldn't take an 814 to college, especially if you're going to be living in dorms. If the CAs don't do it for you look for a cheaper (but still good) guitar like a Yamaha or Seagull (preferably used) and save the difference to buy that 814 when you graduate.
That. ^ If in doubt, rent the movie "Animal House."
Old 06-24-2014, 06:03 AM
Charter Member

HA...I thought about that stairway scene as well!! Seriously, buy a "decent beater" and get your good guitar after college. I went through college with a $250 Takamine (that's 1979 money), and it survived...still have it, and it would be one of two guitars that I'd grab if my house was on fire (assuming wife and kids are safe, of course!!!). Heck, you can get a great Eastman for a third of what you'd spend on an 814. Look into the Martin guitars made of HPL. I played one last night at Guitar Center. It was very nice! It wasn't an 814, but for $800, it was very good.

With all of that said, I'd still go carbon fiber. The sound is good and the looks are very cool, and the durability is fantastic.

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 06-24-2014, 08:11 AM

Yep, for college, you might not want anything as nice as carbon fiber--even if it is durable. One or two "buddy's" messing around could leave enough deep scratches to make you wish you had a beater. Get something cheap but playable.

Animal house staircase was over the top for the comedy, but it wasn't that far from the truth. Colleges have a lot of grade school kids who just happen to be also be 18. True then--even truer now, IMO.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:19 PM

Default Wow...

I had the opportunity to audition the Taylor 814 and it was an experience. It isn't as large as I thought it would be and it certainly sounds a lot larger. It's bass is really present and rich but no overpowering. The Expression 2 system was pretty good and provides a lot of adjustment (you can make it sound downright horrible or phenomenal). I just wish there was another nob for mid-range or brilliance.
Perhaps it's enthusiasm that is clouding my judgement but I couldn't fault the guitar at all. The problem now is whether I could settle for anything less now that I've tried the 814.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber